IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Are man really stronger then women?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Are man really stronger then women?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are man really stronger then women?
    Posted: 19 July 2010 at 8:18pm
Hi Beech,
I lived in Pakistan and except once, I never say the legs or torso of any man in Pakistan. Its just not proper...
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Beechlgz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beechlgz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2010 at 6:33am
I guess my own personal experience is very different, yes where I am from "Adam-Teasing" as you put it is everywhere (not that I agree with it, I don't agree with it for either sex) and yes it is usually very aggressive and vulgar behaviour by the women as well as the men.

Quote which is why muslim women (like the men) are not supposed to stare at men, and lower their gaze if a brazen thought should occur.

I agree with that but in some cases that means you can't look anywhere! Or you can't watch where you're going... :( because there's topless men everywhere on hot sunny days.

Quote Well... are you a man or woman? Just curious. Cause most men when they pull up their shirt to wipe their face are not all that appealing.. Unless you are a male model, most women WILL be able to avert her eyes..

I am female. I am speaking from my own personal experience. It's not just unwanted arousal I have to contend with (which often leaves me feeling disgusted with myself, even looking away doesn't erase the mental image), as I said it's also the intimidation and feeling of inadequacy. I find myself comparing muscles and feeling weak. Not saying it's a bad thing for a guy to have muscles, but that it is intimidating and can affect how safe I feel when it's all on display like that... like he's showing it all off because he's readying for a fight or something. I'd imagine the feeling would be similar for a man who glances at another topless man.

I don't know, maybe I am just more attracted to the male body than most women? Is it a malfunction in my brain? Confused Is it because I am quite masculine myself?

It is nice to hear that in many Muslim countries common sense is still applied and that men are as modest as women in most cases.
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2010 at 4:18pm
Very much so ! If non-muslim men (and women) were to have a peek inside muslim households they would probably be surprised to see what a dominant role muslim women can (& do) play in the family. Some can even be downright bullies !

Ahh yes. And really most trouble with new brides is not the Father in Law but the Mother in Law. The houses I was in the women ran the show. Yeah there were a few men. But it was quite matriarchal. Mamma's rule!
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2010 at 4:17pm
A man's naked torso can be incredibly arousing or intimidating to anyone who might happen to catch a glance.

Well... are you a man or woman? Just curious. Cause most men when they pull up their shirt to wipe their face are not all that appealing.. Unless you are a male model, most women WILL be able to avert her eyes..

On a note of HUMOR by Dave BarrySmile

Men's magazines often feature pictures of naked women. Women's magazines also feature pictures of naked women. This is because the female body is a beautiful work of art, while the male body is lumpy and hairy and should not be seen by the light of day. Men are turned on at the sight of a naked woman's body. Most naked men elicit laughter from women.
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2010 at 11:01am
Originally posted by Hayfa Hayfa wrote:

Chrysalis I am sure you can relate... when I was in Pakistan I did not find the women in a full-face veil lacking assertiveness!  Some can be quite assertive!

Very much so ! If non-muslim men (and women) were to have a peek inside muslim households they would probably be surprised to see what a dominant role muslim women can (& do) play in the family. Some can even be downright bullies !

Have you ever seen the video made on this Saudi female gynecologist. She did her job- full face veil and all.. And she's a doctor. She met with families- both men and women. Seemed to work for her and the others involved.  

No I haven't. But I have seen one of a Saudi journalist who wears the Niqab. She let a team inside her house. Its on you-tube. There was also a veiled pilot in the Saudi !

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2010 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Beechlgz Beechlgz wrote:

Sorry to bring up an old point but I don't understand this part and posting a new topic would be kind of spammy...

A woman should keep her torso covered, that I can agree with. But a man doesn't have to. See, that's the part that doesn't make sense to me. A man's naked torso can be incredibly arousing or intimidating to anyone who might happen to catch a glance. Women especially, since it can evoke sexual feelings that are unwanted even by the woman experiencing them. It also allows the man to bear his muscles which, again, makes people feel uncomfortable or awe stricken and is parallel to female beauty.

It doesn't sound all that modest to me when men are allowed to go about with a naked torso. It's just as bad as a woman going about topless.

Can someone please explain to me why this is considered fine and dandy?
[/Quote]

Hello Beechlgz.

In most societies, compared to a female - the male physique is not as associated with sexuality or considered a sex-symbol. Whether we like it or not - society views the male and female body differently. Even nowadays in liberal societies such as the West - measures of nudity are different for men and women. While it would be considered fine for a man to have a bare torso - a female with the same amount of exposed flesh will be looked at, and treated differently. Most societies do not tolerate that kind of bodily exposure. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) that's how things are, that's how we as human's react.

So the majority of people should have no problem with different standards of "dress code" for men and women. Yes of course a Man can be considered handsome by women and evoke certain feelings - which is why muslim women (like the men) are not supposed to stare at men, and lower their gaze if a brazen thought should occur. You will perhaps agree that women will almost never express their "admiration" for the opposite gender in an aggressive or vulgar manner (majority). We have heard of "Eve-teasing" - but not "Adam-Teasing" . . . so even if a woman does look at a male torso, the reactions are poles apart.

Also - this dress code is the bare minimum for a man. It doesn't mean Muslim men go around shirtless. You might have noticed that in most muslim cultures, the men are just as covered as the women despite the leniency in the dress code. Muslim cultures generally speaking are shy & modest when it comes to exposing the body. If you look at the typical male dress for an Arab, Pakistani or Malay man - you will notice that they don't even wear half-sleeves ! They are just as covered as the women, including head-gear.

So it doesn't seem unfair at all. While men have been blessed with beauty as well, it is usually the female-form that takes stage when we talk about beauty, sensuality etc.

Its not something that pertains to Islam specifically - it is more of a general , common-sensical thing.

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2010 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by schmikbob schmikbob wrote:

I'm sure you can produce some study to back up your claim that "I can tell you among those who practice it, there is less immorality, sin and common sex crimes. Those who do not practice it you will see higher immoral behavior, sin and crimes."  I would bet your evidence is anecdotal at best and I would also bet the real evidence shows absolutely no correlation.

Also, what if your boss sets rules that are against the law or, better yet, rules that are arbitrary or even prejudicial to, say, women, or blacks???  Do you follow them just because they are the bosses rules?  Following those kind of orders have gotten lots and lots of people into lots and lots of trouble down through the ages.  I think you need to work on a better analogy for something as lofty as why "a creation must know and obey it's creator".  What you know of what your creator wants of you has been given to you as hearsay from someone you never knew.  The same is true of all religions.   

What can be better study than the one you observe with your own eyes, around you. Look around and you will find as I did, Christians, Hindus, Muslims and others of faith that follow their teachings, staying away from bad talk, bad behavior, and bad conduct and living more meaningful lives than those who do not follow any structured lifestyle.
I am not seeking your approval for what I do, or those who follow a structured way of life.
It is ignorant of you to say: " What you know of what your creator wants of you has been given to you as hearsay from someone you never knew.  The same is true of all religions.  "
I do not know how you can deny that the one who gave you abilities to think, talk, walk, see, listen and more cannot guide you to how to use them. I cannot deny that, and believe that my creator did not create me for nothing, nor that the Creator left me after creating me and is unaware of me. I believe, it is these abilities that I use to reason and find logic in figuring my place. I believe that my Creator provided us instructions through teachers so we all can serve our purpose in a more meaningful way. For me, and those like me this is natural, while for someone like you it does not make sense, I don't want to guess why?
The boss example was simply to show you that when you work for a company or a boss, you follow what the boss or the company tells you, when you break their rules or refuse to follow intrustions, and try to do you own way rather, you know where you get kicked! nothing more, nothing less is what I am trying to say, simply.

Hasan

Edited by honeto - 14 July 2010 at 9:31pm
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

Beechlgz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beechlgz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2010 at 1:22am
Originally posted by Chrysalis Chrysalis wrote:

The Qur'an speaks of Hijab for the men before it speaks of Hijab for the women. BOTH are commanded to observe Hijab and are given a dress-code. Naturally - given their very obvious biological differences, the dress code is different for both.

Sorry to bring up an old point but I don't understand this part and posting a new topic would be kind of spammy...

A woman should keep her torso covered, that I can agree with. But a man doesn't have to. See, that's the part that doesn't make sense to me. A man's naked torso can be incredibly arousing or intimidating to anyone who might happen to catch a glance. Women especially, since it can evoke sexual feelings that are unwanted even by the woman experiencing them. It also allows the man to bear his muscles which, again, makes people feel uncomfortable or awe stricken and is parallel to female beauty.

It doesn't sound all that modest to me when men are allowed to go about with a naked torso. It's just as bad as a woman going about topless.

Can someone please explain to me why this is considered fine and dandy?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic