IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Science & Technology
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Science Behind the Veil (Hijab)  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Science Behind the Veil (Hijab)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
sossydj View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sossydj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Science Behind the Veil (Hijab)
    Posted: 26 November 2010 at 12:40am
Very impressive pictures. You are absolutely right.
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2010 at 12:05am
Originally posted by sossydj sossydj wrote:

the veil (Hijab) serves as a filter when worn on the face as well. This is specially beneficial during the spring in the gulf when sand storms and wind are common,

Which may very well be the origin of the 'veil'. Men in Arabian countries (living in desert lands) wear  the 'veil' too. Its not just a female thing.

Edited by Chrysalis - 26 November 2010 at 12:06am
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
sossydj View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sossydj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2010 at 2:48pm
I should add that, besides protecting the head from cold, wind, and the Sun, the veil (Hijab) serves as a filter when worn on the face as well. This is specially beneficial during the spring in the gulf when sand storms and wind are common, or all year round in big cities to filter out the emission from cars and factories.
Gibbs View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gibbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2010 at 11:33am
40-60% of body heat is lost through the head,

This is actually wrong. Compare the head to the rest of the body. The chest, and back area is a large mass which also contains heat. Your heat is regulated in the brain but it is not lost through the head.
NuraB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NuraB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2010 at 8:59am
Peace, Matt

You had said "There's also the purpose of social conventions. Symbols, rituals and dress codes strengthen social bonds. The article above promotes a particular social, cultural, or religious convention, trying to use science in an one-sided biased way. It doesn't show the whole picture."

Can't disagree with you there. Yet....

"Just to give you one example in terms of health benefits: The average life expectancy of a woman in Japan is 81.6 years (no veil). In Saudi Arabia which is also a rich country it is 75.3 years (veil or niqab). In Yemen it is 64.3 (veil). In Afghanistan it is 43.8 (veil or burqa)."

I'm sure your facts about life expectancy are correct, but, really? Dress being the primary contributing factor?

You don't think diet has a larger contribution?  The basic/traditional Japanese diet is more healthful with soy (tofu) or fish as the primary protein source.  Westerners are only now discovering the health benefits of soy compared to the hundreds of years that Japan has utilized it.

Compared to the diets of A.S., Yemen with higher fat meats like lamb and beef.  Afghanistan being a poorer country the diet of the common man is worse.

You are equally as guilty of not "showing the whole picture".

N.B.

Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2010 at 8:52am
Originally posted by Matt Browne Matt Browne wrote:

Even in Saudi-Arabia, the supposedly most holy country on Earth. In a book published more than 10 years ago a Saudi princess describes life in her country.

While I am not claiming that any Muslim community is devoid of evils . . . I wouldn't rely too much on books written by Saudi princesses!!! I wonder if you're referring to the "Princess" series by an American author (whose books I don't want to publicize by mentioning her name), who claims to write on behalf of a 'Saudi Princess'. I read that book, and it is such crap!!! It is so non-factual and completely baseless!!! that a even a non-practicing Muslim could point out the gaping loopholes!

If one has even basic knowledge of Islam they can tell how it is impossible for a muslim to be narrating those events since the narrator obviously seems to have NO clue of Islam! Utter rubbish. I would doubt the credibility of such books - claimed to be written on behalf of Muslim women, under the pretext of 'hiding' their identity.

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2010 at 8:36am
Originally posted by schmikbob schmikbob wrote:

Am I correct in reading on this site that it is totally the woman's choice whether or not to wear the veil?? This is clearly not the case in many muslim countries and let's not pretend otherwise.

You can observe the Hijab to non-Hijab ratio yourself, will give you an idea whether it is actually a choice, or a compulsion. The Muslim community is too diverse to stereotype or judge based on the narrow media focus...

Malaysians:

Iranians:

Emirati:

(Consider the male attire, just as modest as the female's. Nobody ever points that out or complains on their behalf...)

Somalians:

Pakistani:

To conclude:

Edited by Chrysalis - 03 September 2010 at 8:44am
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2010 at 7:54am
Originally posted by schmikbob schmikbob wrote:

Am I correct in reading on this site that it is totally the woman's choice whether or not to wear the veil??  That would also mean that there is no penalty (legally or otherwise) to not wearing the veil.  This is clearly not the case in many muslim countries and let's not pretend otherwise.

As far as I am aware, there is no Islamic or Shariah penalty for not wearing a veil or keeping a beard for that matter. Whatever examples you have read or seen, are man-made. According to our belief, if a Muslim does not follow these commandments, they will be sinning and will have to answer for their mis/deeds to Allah in the hereafter.

As for the countries you refer to, apart from Iran & Saudi Arabia - I am not aware of any Muslim country that makes it a legal compulsion to wear a veil. Even in conservative countries like UAE, Pakistan etc - while modest dressing & Hijab is socially encouraged and appreciated - it is not a legal compulsion. There are many Muslim women, a majority in fact, who do not observe Hijab as a permanent dress code. Clearly indicating that in the vast majority of cases Hijab remains a choice, and not a compulsion.

In countries like Indonesia & Malaysia - where there is a big non-muslim population as well, Hijab is not at all compulsory, yet the majority of women wear the Hijab or traditional 'Tudung'.

How many Muslim countries have you been to? How can you so assuredly say that is not the case? Based on the footage you have received of the Taliban? Who are less than 1% of the entire Muslim population....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic