IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Serious Question  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Serious Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 7:32pm
Chrysalis,

Yes there are slaves in the world, it comes in different forms. Check this out:
http://www.freetheslaves.net/Page.aspx?pid=375

I have read alot on the subject and it is truly, truly sad. Is it "officially" sanctioned by any govt? No. But over 27 million people are enslaved.

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
haris30432 View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haris30432 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 12:50am

Dear Doug,

I am sorry, I still don't get it. So sex with women is allowed even if you aren't married if their husbands are fighting against muslims? Every source, including islamic website, I have looked at interprets "right hand" as slaves... is this not correct?

Im not sure i fully understood your question.And may be i wasnt very clear to you  either :D.

Like i ve already said in my previous post,the verses have nothing to do with casual sex.As i understand,believers were hesitating to  marry woman who fled from their disbelieving husbands and joined the believers.God made it clear to them that they are allowed to" marry " them as they had become believers and did not belong to the disbelievers .This may also apply to the slave women.Since theyve fled from the disbelieving masters and joined the believers,Muslims were allowed to "marry" them giving them their due dowries without permission from the masters(permission from the masters was required other wise).

Surah 60,verse 10 clearly speaks about those who sought "Asylum" with Muslims.So by "right hand possess" its clear that it is talking about those who had fled from the disbelievers and sought asylum with muslims and this can be anyone slave or free.GOD does not advocate evil and vice.So any interpretation of the verses should only be done taking that into consideration.God only permits marriage not "casual sex" with slaves or asylum seekers.No where in the Quran can u see GOD permitting such an evil act.Be he Glorified.Subhanallah!

Peace!

Edited by haris30432 - 11 May 2010 at 1:15am
ONE GOD ONE SOURCE OF LAW!
drdoug View Drop Down
Member.
Member.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 8:17pm
Another thing...

why are critics of islam so violently oppressed. Why cant muslims discuss things.

I watched this clip on a lady called Wafa Sultan... and the cleric debating with her acted like such a moron... you could tell he had never had an actual debate before... and then I found at that she has to live in hiding because of this st**id thing. How can islam ever grow with the world if anyone who holds different than the majority of people end up being threatened with violence. This clip lead to a bunch of other research.. and to be honest it makes me feel that islam cannot be true. I agree with the tenet of worshiping one God, but if something in the religion makes large masses of people uneducated and violent against opposing view points... thats just not a plus. Look at the jews.. they don't kill people every time they disagree with them... in fact no one is a bigger critic of jews than jews... I just don't get this. I really was feeling islam could be true but if converting to islam makes you like that then I don't see why God would want that from me.
drdoug View Drop Down
Member.
Member.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 10:42pm
Thanks for reply. If that is the case then that is very reasonable... I dont get it though. So you are allowed 4 wifes and sex with women who are leaving their husbands because they are fighting against muslims...

so can you ever have a relationship with more than 4 women in any way shape or form? I dont understand why the wording is like that

Thanks,
Doug
Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2010 at 1:44am
Originally posted by drdoug drdoug wrote:

Hello Islamicity,
I have been off and on interested with islam for many years now. The thing that is intellectually refreshing about Islam is that its absolutely monotheistic... in every possible way. The trinity is hard to swallow, it could be true.. I mean God is God and can do what he wants... but I do admit that it is something I don't know if I believe.

I almost admire religious devotion amongst muslims. They and the LDS are the only ones who take their religion seriously.

I have some serious questions about islam. I don't intend these questions with any disrespect, but to be honest I have heard some bad things and would appreciate them answered. It is not the theology of islam that I have a problem with, its the morality (or so it appears). In the same way, its not the morality of christianity I oppose, its its theology.

Perhaps you can help me with one/any of these

1. Why did Muhammad get to have so many wives, when his followers only got 4? I have heard that God told Muhammad to get at least one of his wives and she was originally married to another man... any truth to it?
I think others have given enough background about this...All I can add is  Mhmd (saw) was a uniquely exceptional man who was just not in demand by his male companions only but also by women too who wanted him and only lawful way for them was to be a wife...who later  on became the helpers in teaching other women folks the fundamental practices of the religion... How else the rules in running an Islamic household in contrast to pagan's would be known? They were his equal partners in suffering the pangs of hunger and vows of poverty while sex may be the only matter on your mind this late on the time line! 
The other woman Zainab(r) wanted to marry Mhmd(s) in the first place but thing took a detour and also became a no adoption but foster only case law... 

2. I heard that there was some female poet who was insulting Muhammad and Muhammad had one of his followers kill he... is this true?
You don't need to be vague; Yes It was Asma who had said in her lyrics "Is there no man of pride who would attack him(Mhmd.sa) by surprise ...And cut off the hopes of those who expect aught from him" i.e., assassination instead of a battle...She got what she asked for that helped her tribe see the light and power of the truth and became Muslims!

3. What is the deal with all of the violence amongst muslims.. i dont mean against the US or Israel, but I mean the violence against each other.      
It is common place for muslims to bomb each other.
You should know being a Dr of whatever it is divide and rule colonial / neo colonial paradigm, the Muslims in bondage are reacting in haphazard way...I am surprised at this question! Can you list the chronology of the bombing that you are talking about? Then we can get to some conclusion...Have you seen the destruction in Greece?
If Iraq or Afpak is on your mind; My question would be who invaded who and who pushed it?

Please do not confuse Islam with the situation the Muslim people are in... bondage in one sort or the other!
You must know the Muslim world was divided up post WW I * II into dozens of western vassal states to exploit their resources as needed basis or you are feigning being simple!
Bombing each other reminds me of some great wars like WWI & II who were the belligerents in those?

4. What about monotheistic non muslim religions, such as judaism and sikhism. They also only believe in one God, so why not them? I know for a fact that they are both expressly monotheistic... Gurus are not considered Gods and jews are absolutely monotheistic.
You don't want me to dissect hybrid (Sikhism=Islamic Sufism +some Hinduism) or the derivative(Judaism) religions? Humanistic Judaism is non theistic...
BTW India and its neighbor Persia's soils have been quite fertile in producing the hybridsWink
As for Muslim belief is concerned the true religion for the Israelite was Abrahamic creed...submission to one God's worship i.e.,Islam and new set of laws after coming out of Pharaoh's slavery ...and broad casting that message worldwide...Rather the Israelite selfishly turned this into an ethnocentric elite class; monotheism was not always followed in practice and that gave rise to trinitarianism! Moses brought no Judaism and my next door neighbor is no God worshiping Jew...his god is mammon!

So is the God of Wall Street!
When they wake up in the morning they say they are so glad that were not made a gentile!

5. How can Islam preach "no compulsion in religion" when non muslims are taxed? When converting out of islam is a capital offence? And when in many muslim countries evangelism of non muslim religions is a crime.
Let's not be facetious, who would mind to stay out of military draft by paying some tax?
 I would ask your domicile before further discussion on the tax matters!

I have no problems with people who are not practicing Muslims to declare that they are out! They are just a weak link in the rope... It would be capital crime when a person was acting treacherously and spying for the enemy that is not too difficult to understand agents do get executed, don't they?

The European colonial occupiers of Muslim lands  tried everything in their power through their
clergy to evangelize their subjects but without much success... They had to leave huge empty cathedrals behind!
I thought you had some straight forward questions; these quibble are not worth my time!
 I am sorry one of the famous evangelists Franklin Graham was dis-invited from the Pentagon's prayer meet cuz of their typical bad mouthing the prophet and Islam on regular basis...

Again, I know all of these questions are harsh... but they are legitimate questions. If I appear ignorant or ask something st**id.. I apologize.

Thanks,
Doug

I was asked to help edify few misunderstandings posed in your quandaries about Islam and it's Prophet (saw).

Edited by Sign*Reader - 12 May 2010 at 6:55pm
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2010 at 1:55am
Originally posted by drdoug drdoug wrote:

Another thing...

why are critics of islam so violently oppressed. Why cant muslims discuss things.

I watched this clip on a lady called Wafa Sultan... and the cleric debating with her acted like such a moron... you could tell he had never had an actual debate before... and then I found at that she has to live in hiding because of this st**id thing. How can islam ever grow with the world if anyone who holds different than the majority of people end up being threatened with violence. This clip lead to a bunch of other research.. and to be honest it makes me feel that islam cannot be true. I agree with the tenet of worshiping one God, but if something in the religion makes large masses of people uneducated and violent against opposing view points... thats just not a plus. Look at the jews..(Oh Yea! read the following treatise...Where do you live?)  they don't kill people every time they disagree with them...(No shxt, Israel used stolen British and other European passports to send her killers to carry out the assassination in Dubai...I guess the survivors of holocaust are untouchableWink) in fact no one is a bigger critic of jews than jews...(Of course who else can ) I just don't get this. I really was feeling islam could be true but if converting to islam makes you like that then I don't see why God would want that from me.

I am afraid it was waste of time of the forum members valuable time and you were just trolling...No one knows for sure!
So Wafa is your ideal, some choice!

Wafa Sultan�s Lies Refuted

I challenge you to read this before coming back!

http://www.jewishtribalreview.org/open.htm

Edited by Nausheen - 12 May 2010 at 7:15pm
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
drdoug View Drop Down
Member.
Member.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2010 at 8:55am
Thanks for answering.

I am not a troll. I watched her video. I dont agree with all she said, it sounded like one sided, people do the same rants against other stuff (vegetarians, fundy christians, etc) but what bothers me and what bothers me more the more I researched it is that people who actively disagree with islam get a bounty on their heads. Like this recent south park episode that caused fatwas and death threats. That van gogh guy was killed because of art.

I find your opinions of the jews extraordinarily revealing. I didn't realize they all worshiped money, especially my old roommate who takes one month out of the year doing drs without borders. Jews are like anyone else, some are good and some are bad.

I am trying to find a religion. I wasn't really raised with one, and I want my kids to have one.

I find it obvious that my questions are not appreciated. I apologize for wasting your time. I wont post on this forum again.

I don't know if islam is true or not. Thats for God to decide. However, I do know that conversion to islam appears to cause me to have to act against my conscience in some ways. I dont think God wants me to act against my conscience, so if I choose not to become muslim for those reasons I can stand before him and he will understand.
I do think that Islamic civilization has the potential to be great, but I find muslims I talk to to be very reactionary about certain things. Do you really think that all muslim countries have problems because of the west? Thats just mindless rhetoric that gets you nowhere fast. Its easy to make excuses, its harder to rebuild your society after defeat. I hope islamic society does rebuild. I hope it flourishes the way it used to, but I think it will have to become open minded again.    

Thanks to everyone who took the time to answer me.

Sincerely,
Dr. Doug

Edited by Nausheen - 12 May 2010 at 5:49pm
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2010 at 6:46pm
Hello Dr. Doug

I hope you read this, as am not sure - your above note appears  resignatory.

Anyway, it seems you have received quite a few open-minded and welcoming responses on this string. However not all were as open as you may have expected.

Just like your own statement about the Jews (which I agree with), muslims are of all types. Some are adherent, others are peripherally practicing etc. In same way, some are open minded to discussion while others are sensetive.

After a long time I saw a non-muslim asking genuine questions, and I wished the responses had been 100% non-critical about the questioner. Unfortunately and regretably this was not the case.  There is nothing to apologize here, as you certainly did not waste others time. If your time however was wasted, I apologize, and pray that you find true faith for yourself and your generation to come.

If at all you care to continue discussion on this forum, I would request you to please ignore the inappropriateness of some users, if responses from others are helpful.

thank you.
nausheen

Edited by Nausheen - 12 May 2010 at 6:49pm
<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic