IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Serious Question  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Serious Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Member.
Member.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Serious Question
    Posted: 04 May 2010 at 3:31pm
Hello Islamicity,
I have been off and on interested with islam for many years now. The thing that is intellectually refreshing about Islam is that its absolutely monotheistic... in every possible way. The trinity is hard to swallow, it could be true.. I mean God is God and can do what he wants... but I do admit that it is something I don't know if I believe.

I almost admire religious devotion amongst muslims. They and the LDS are the only ones who take their religion seriously.

I have some serious questions about islam. I don't intend these questions with any disrespect, but to be honest I have heard some bad things and would appreciate them answered. It is not the theology of islam that I have a problem with, its the morality (or so it appears). In the same way, its not the morality of christianity I oppose, its its theology.

Perhaps you can help me with one/any of these

1. Why did Muhammad get to have so many wives, when his followers only got 4? I have heard that God told Muhammad to get at least one of his wives and she was originally married to another man... any truth to it?

2. I heard that there was some female poet who was insulting Muhammad and Muhammad had one of his followers kill he... is this true?

3. What is the deal with all of the violence amongst muslims.. i dont mean against the US or Israel, but I mean the violence against each other.      
It is common place for muslims to bomb each other.

4. What about monotheistic non muslim religions, such as judaism and sikhism. They also only believe in one God, so why not them? I know for a fact that they are both expressly monotheistic... Gurus are not considered Gods and jews are absolutely monotheistic.

5. How can Islam preach "no compulsion in religion" when non muslims are taxed? When converting out of islam is a capital offence? And when in many muslim countries evangelism of non muslim religions is a crime.

Again, I know all of these questions are harsh... but they are legitimate questions. If I appear ignorant or ask something st**id.. I apologize.

Thanks,
Doug
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 12:08am

Welcome to Islamicity, Dr. Dough. Wishing you a very happy stay.

We appreciate your questions very much.  Infact feel free to discuss untill you get them cleared. It shall be our pleasure to answer them

1. Why did Muhammad get to have so many wives, when his followers only got 4?

Kindly read this :

Sheikh Yusuf Al-Qaradawi, states:

"Before the advent of Islam, it had been the habit of men to marry an unlimited number of women. The Old Testament states that David had 100 wives and Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines. However, Islam nullified marriage to more than four women.

If a man became a Muslim and he had more than four wives, the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) would say to him: �Choose only four and divorce the rest.�

Polygamy is permissible in Islam on the condition that the man treats all his wives equally, otherwise he should marry one only. Allah Almighty says, �And if ye fear that ye cannot do justice (to so many) then one (only).� (An-Nisa': 3)

However, Allah Almighty granted Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) something that is not allowed to any other Muslim. He Almighty allowed him to keep the wives that he had married and did not order him to divorce, replace any of them, or to marry anymore women. Allah Almighty says: �It is not allowed thee to take (other) women henceforth nor that thou should change them for other wives even though their beauty pleased thee, save those whom thy right hand possesses.� (Al-Ahzab: 52)

This is because the wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) have a special status: they are mentioned in the Qur`an as Mothers of the Believers. Allah Almighty says, �The Prophet is closer to the believers than their selves, and his wives are (as) their mothers.� (Al-Ahzab: 6)

Due to this honorable position, they were forbidden to remarry after the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him). Allah Almighty says, �And it is not for you to cause annoyance to the Messenger of Allah, nor that ye should ever marry his wives after him.� (Al-Ahzab: 53)

This means that if they were divorced, they would have been deprived of marriage for the rest of their lives, and they would also be deprived of the honor of being part the Prophet�s family, which is considered an unjust penalty when they had not done anything wrong.

Suppose that Allah had enjoined the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) to choose only four of his wives and divorce the rest. This would mean that four of them would have been chosen to be the Mothers of Believers and the other five would have been deprived of the honor. This would have been a very awkward situation since none of those exemplary women deserved to be dismissed from the Prophet�s family and be denied the honor that she had gained.

Therefore, it was Allah�s will for them to remain as the Prophet�s wives as an exception to him only. This is based on Allah�s saying: �Lo! the bounty is in Allah's hand. He bestoweth it on whom He will. Allah is All Embracing, All Knowing.� (Al `Imran: 73)

I also wish you read the following though is not part of your question.

He did not marry any of them for the reasons that the Orientalists falsely claim. It was not carnal desires, which made the Prophet marry any of his wives. If he were as they claim, he wouldn�t have been the young man married to a woman 15 years his senior. He was 25 when he married Khadijah who had been married twice before and had many children.

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) lived all his youth with her in happiness. When she died, he called that year "The year of grief". He loved, respected and kept praising her so much even after her death to the extent that `A�ishah (may Allah be pleased with her) used to be jealous of Khadijah despite her having been dead.

At the age of 53, after the death of Khadijah and after Hijrah (emigration to Madinah), the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) began to marry his other wives. He married Sawdah bint Zam`ah, who was an elderly lady, in order to be his housewife. He married the daughter of Abu Bakr, who was his friend and Companion, in order to strengthen their relationship although she was still too young to be married. Then he married Hafsah, `Umar�s daughter, so that both of his Companions, Abu Bakr and `Umar, would be granted the same honor, even though Hafsah was a widow and was not pretty.

He also married Umu Salamah who was a widow. When her husband, Abu Salamah, died, she thought she would never find a better husband. They had both emigrated and suffered a lot for the cause of Islam. She said in her grief as a widow: �Lo! We are Allah�s and Lo! unto Him we are returning.� (Al-Baqarah: 156) She prayed to Allah to help her and recompense her with a better husband, but she wondered whether she could ever marry someone better than her late husband. So Allah recompensed her for her grief and bestowed on her a far better husband who was Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him). He married her and rewarded her for the loss of her husband and her abandoning her family in order to emigrate to Madinah.

Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) married Juwayriyah bint Al-Harith in order to encourage her family to be Muslims. In the expedition of Bani al-Mustaliq, the Muslims captured a lot of Juwayriyah's kinsfolk, and when the Companions of the Prophet knew that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) had married her, they set the captives free because they had become kin of the Prophet Muhammad. And so kin must not be captured.

The other woman was Um Habibah, the daughter of Abu Sufyan and who was the bitterest enemy of Islam. She had left her father and preferred to emigrate with her husband to Abyssinia (Al-Habashah) for the sake of Islam. But then her husband died and she became alone in a foreign land. What was the Prophet supposed to do in such case? Would he leave her without help? Of course not! So he sent his proposal to Negus (An-Najashi), the king of Abyssinia, and authorized him to pay her the dowry and to make the marriage contract while he was in Madinah. Another good reason for this marriage is that marrying the daughter of Abu Sufyan would make him less hostile to Islam due to the new kinship.

Therefore, he did not marry any of his wives for lust or worldly desires, but for the good of Islam in order to strengthen the ties between the people and the new religion, especially because kinship and blood relations were well respected among the Arabs.

In conclusion, by marrying those women, the Prophet aimed at unifying the Arabs and solving many problems. His wives became the Mothers of the Believers, teachers of the Muslim Ummah in family and women�s affairs, and related a lot about his family life even in the most private situations.

Everybody has private matters except the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) who asked people to relate everything concerning his life in order to teach the Muslim Ummah and guide them to what is right.

The most important point is that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) set a good example for Muslims in all aspects of life including family life. A Muslim man can draw very good lessons from the life of Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) and in the way he treated his wives."

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 12:24am

I have heard that God told Muhammad to get at least one of his wives and she was originally married to another man... any truth to it?

Following is the truth :

Zaynab bint Jahsh, may God be pleased with her, was also a lady of noble birth, descended and a close relative of the Prophet. She was, moreover, a woman of great piety, who fasted much, kept long vigils, and gave generously to the poor. When the Prophet asked for the hand of Zaynab for Zayd, Zaynab�s family and Zaynab herself were at first unwilling. The family had hoped to marry their daughter to the Prophet. Naturally, when they realized that it was the Prophet�s wish that Zaynab should marry Zayd, they all consented out of deference to their love for the Prophet and his authority. In this way, the marriage took place.

Zayd had been taken captive as a child in the course of tribal wars and sold as a slave. The noble Khadija whose slave he was, presented him to Muhammad, upon him be peace, on the occasion of her marriage to the future Prophet. The Prophet immediately gave Zayd his freedom and shortly afterwards adopted him as his son. The reason for his insistence on Zayd�s marriage to Zaynab was to establish and fortify equality between the Muslims, to make this ideal a reality. His desire was to break down the ancient Arab prejudice against a slave or even freedman marrying a �free-born� woman. The Prophet was therefore starting this hard task with his own relatives.

The marriage did not bring happiness to either Zaynab or Zayd. Zaynab, the lady of noble birth, was a good Muslim of a most pious and exceptional quality. Zayd, the freedman, was among the first to embrace Islam, and he too was a good Muslim. Both loved and obeyed the Prophet, but their marriage was unsustainable because of their mutual incompatibility. Zayd found it no longer tolerable and on several occasions expressed the wish to divorce. The Prophet, however, insisted that he should persevere with patience and that he should not separate from Zaynab. Then, on an occasion while the Prophet was in conversation, the Angel Gabriel came and a Divine Revelation was given to him (Bukhari,). The Prophet�s marriage to Zaynab was announced in the revealed verses as a bond already contracted: We have married her to you (Qura'n. 33.37). This command was one of the severest trials the Prophet had yet had to face. For he was commanded to do a thing contrary to the traditions of his people, indeed it was a taboo. Yet it had to be done for the sake of God, just as God commanded. �A�isha later said: Had the Messenger of God been inclined to suppress anything of what was revealed to him, he would surely have suppressed this verse (Bukhari and Muslim. These are books considred holy after Qur'an by we muslims).

Zaynab proved herself most worthy to be the Prophet�s wife; she was always aware of the responsibilities as well as the courtesies proper to her role, and fulfilled those responsibilities to universal admiration.

In the jahiliyyah, an adopted son was regarded as a natural son, and an adopted son�s wife was therefore regarded as a natural son�s wife would be. According to the Qur�anic verse, those who have been �wives of your sons proceeding from your loins� fall within the prohibited degrees of marriage. But this prohibition does not relate to adopted sons with whom there is no real consanguinity. What now seems obvious was not so then. The pagan taboo against marrying the former wives of adopted sons was deeply rooted. It was to uproot this custom that the Prophet�s marriage to Zaynab was commanded by the Revelation.

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 3:26am

2. I heard that there was some female poet who was insulting Muhammad and Muhammad had one of his followers kill he... is this true?

After the conquest of Makkah {It was totally a bloodless revolution}, Prophet Muhammad when entered Makkah with humbleness, his head was bowed so low that people saw that his beard was touching the camel's saddle. Such was the humility of the Prophet, even in his hour of triumph. Standing at the door of the Kabah, the Prophet delivered an address, in the course of which he said,

There is none worthy of being served save the One God. He has fulfilled His promise and offered succour to His slave. He alone has brought the hosts of enemies low.

He did not, in other words, claim any credit for the victory: he attributed it entirely to God. Later on in the same speech, he had this to say to the Quraysh:

"What do you think I am going to do with you now?"

"We think you will treat us well."

they replied, "for you are our noble brother, and the son of our noble brother." Then the Prophet said: "I say to you as Joseph said to his brothers: Let no reproach be upon you this day. Go, you are free

Do note drdough that these were the people who tortured Prophet and his followers very much. the Prophet put vengeance aside, thus eliminating all possibility of adverse reaction on the part of his new subjects. he gave his commanders orders not to do battle with anyone unless they themselves were attacked. He forgave all those who had committed outrages against him. Only a few, who were to be killed "even if they took refuge beneath the curtain of the Ka"�bah," were sentenced to death.

This poetess you are talking about falls in the list of those names who were to be killed. Pls mind that all others were forgiven. She also used to recite poems abusing the Prophet. Her dances were a regular feature of the Quraysh's wine-drinking orgies. She was also killed along with her master.

You must not have told about this poetess who was forgiven. Quraybah who was also "�Abdullah ibn Khatal's slave, and pursued the same profession as Fartana. Orders were given for her execution, but when she came to the Prophet and sought asylum, her request was granted. She then became Muslim.

Sarah, a slave-girl of "�Ikrimah ibn Abi Jahl, who revelled in pouring scorn upon the Prophet. Permission was given for her to be put to death, but she came to the Prophet and sought asylum, which was granted her, and she accepted Islam. She remained alive until the caliphate of "�Umar.

Hope drdough, this would answer your question.

Edited by seekshidayath - 05 May 2010 at 3:27am
drdoug View Drop Down
Member.
Member.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 11:31am
Thank you for your response.

I assume that the revelations were given after muhammad was already married, so that after the 4 wife rule no more wives were allowed.

If so, I think your explanation is reasonable. Thank You.

What about the "whom your right hand possesses" clause of this verse. I was told this means slave girls. I find this deplorable, but you had a good explanation for the multiple marriage so if you can explain this I would appreciate it.

Thanks again,
Doug
drdoug View Drop Down
Member.
Member.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 11:49am
Originally posted by seekshidayath seekshidayath wrote:

I have heard that God told Muhammad to get at least one of his wives and she was originally married to another man... any truth to it?

Following is the truth :

<SPAN style="WIDOWS: 2; TEXT-TRANS: none; TEXT-INDENT: 0px; BORDER-COLLAPSE: separate; FONT: medium 'Times New Roman'; WHITE-SPACE: normal; ORPHANS: 2; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR: rgb(0,0,0); WORD-SPACING: 0px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px" =Apple-style-span><SPAN style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 2px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 2px" =Apple-style-span>
<P style="TEXT-ALIGN: justify; LINE-HEIGHT: 22px; MARGIN-TOP: 5px; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 10px; COLOR: rgb(0,0,0); FONT-SIZE: 11pt">Zaynab bint Jahsh, may God be pleased with her, was also a lady of noble birth, descended and a close relative of the Prophet. She was, moreover, a woman of great piety, who fasted much, kept long vigils, and gave generously to the poor. When the Prophet asked for the hand of Zaynab for Zayd, Zaynab�s family and Zaynab herself were at first unwilling. The family had hoped to marry their daughter to the Prophet. Naturally, when they realized that it was the Prophet�s wish that Zaynab should marry Zayd, they all consented out of deference to their love for the Prophet and his authority. In this way, the marriage took place.

<P style="TEXT-ALIGN: justify; LINE-HEIGHT: 22px; MARGIN-TOP: 5px; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 10px; COLOR: rgb(0,0,0); FONT-SIZE: 11pt">Zayd had been taken captive as a child in the course of tribal wars and sold as a slave. The noble Khadija whose slave he was, presented him to Muhammad, upon him be peace, on the occasion of her marriage to the future Prophet. The Prophet immediately gave Zayd his freedom and shortly afterwards adopted him as his son. The reason for his insistence on Zayd�s marriage to Zaynab was to establish and fortify equality between the Muslims, to make this ideal a reality. His desire was to break down the ancient Arab prejudice against a slave or even freedman marrying a �free-born� woman. The Prophet was therefore starting this hard task with his own relatives.

<P style="TEXT-ALIGN: justify; LINE-HEIGHT: 22px; MARGIN-TOP: 5px; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 10px; COLOR: rgb(0,0,0); FONT-SIZE: 11pt">The marriage did not bring happiness to either Zaynab or Zayd. Zaynab, the lady of noble birth, was a good Muslim of a most pious and exceptional quality. Zayd, the freedman, was among the first to embrace Islam, and he too was a good Muslim. Both loved and obeyed the Prophet, but their marriage was unsustainable because of their mutual incompatibility. Zayd found it no longer tolerable and on several occasions expressed the wish to divorce. The Prophet, however, insisted that he should persevere with patience and that he should not separate from Zaynab. Then, on an occasion while the Prophet was in conversation, the Angel Gabriel came and a Divine Revelation was given to him (Bukhari,). The Prophet�s marriage to Zaynab was announced in the revealed verses as a bond already contracted: We have married her to you (Qura'n. 33.37). This command was one of the severest trials the Prophet had yet had to face. For he was commanded to do a thing contrary to the traditions of his people, indeed it was a taboo. Yet it had to be done for the sake of God, just as God commanded. �A�isha later said: Had the Messenger of God been inclined to suppress anything of what was revealed to him, he would surely have suppressed this verse (Bukhari and Muslim. These are books considred holy after Qur'an by we muslims).

<P style="TEXT-ALIGN: justify; LINE-HEIGHT: 22px; MARGIN-TOP: 5px; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 10px; COLOR: rgb(0,0,0); FONT-SIZE: 11pt">Zaynab proved herself most worthy to be the Prophet�s wife; she was always aware of the responsibilities as well as the courtesies proper to her role, and fulfilled those responsibilities to universal admiration.

<P style="TEXT-ALIGN: justify; LINE-HEIGHT: 22px; MARGIN-TOP: 5px; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 10px; COLOR: rgb(0,0,0); FONT-SIZE: 11pt">In the jahiliyyah, an adopted son was regarded as a natural son, and an adopted son�s wife was therefore regarded as a natural son�s wife would be. According to the Qur�anic verse, those who have been �wives of your sons proceeding from your loins� fall within the prohibited degrees of marriage. But this prohibition does not relate to adopted sons with whom there is no real consanguinity. What now seems obvious was not so then. The pagan taboo against marrying the former wives of adopted sons was deeply rooted. It was to uproot this custom that the Prophet�s marriage to Zaynab was commanded by the Revelation.

</SPAN></SPAN>

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

Why did Muhammad get them married if it was the wrong thing to do? I thought his actions were supposed to be perfect.

His desire to remove the prejudice against former slaves is admirable... but honestly if the marriage did not work I can't see how it was that productive.

Why could she not just divorce her husband and marry someone else? That would remove the doubt about the authenticity of this revelation because why would a prophet have God someone divorce their husband to marry someone else. Many so called " prophets" have had divine commands to marry another mans wife... so you can understand my doubt I am sure.

To be blunt, it appears to me that the purpose of this verse could have been because of his desire for another mans wife.

Thanks for the response. Perhaps you can clarify.

If I am direct, I apologize. I honestly want to know the truth.

-Doug
drdoug View Drop Down
Member.
Member.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 11:56am
With all do respect this answer is inadequate. In my mind what you just said was 99% of what he did was really good, so that makes up for this bad thing.

Also, just because she was vocally critical of Muhammad does not give him the right to have her killed. Freedom of speech is universal... and being unwilling to allow vocal dissent against you is not a very admirable quality in a man of God.

I have personally seen Muslims out on the streets calling for the Popes death and calling him all sorts of horrid things... but I do not believe that he would be justified in having them killed.
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 4:06am
Originally posted by drdoug drdoug wrote:

[QUOTE=seekshidayath]

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

Why did Muhammad get them married if it was the wrong thing to do? I thought his actions were supposed to be perfect.

Please  note that Prophet {pbuh} was a humanbeing. He was not God. Humanbeings are fallible to do mistakes, Prophet Muhammad was a perfect  slave of Allah swt.

His desire to remove the prejudice against former slaves is admirable... but honestly if the marriage did not work I can't see how it was that productive.

Point 1 you need to remember is that Prophet Mohammed PBUH is not God. He did not plan to break the marriage. We as Muslims believe that plan of Prophet can fail and this is position of only God whose plan never fail. God had some other plan and you know what it is. This was to break another wrong tradition of jahiliyya.

2nd point is that, the very act of Zainab getting married to Zaid itself carry lots of weight. Marriage to be successful will be completely different issue.

Islam inherited the inhuman institution of slavery. There were scores of slave men and women in every house. Instantly freeing them, it is clear, would have resulted in a lot of social and economic problems. Islam, therefore, adopted a gradual methodology to do away with slavery. It undertook various measures in this regard.

"Despite the fact that Zayd and Zaynab's marriage lasted a very short time, its effects on Muslims have been extensive. It is such that following this event, freed slaves were no longer looked down upon by society and they went on to established dynasties and kingdoms throughout the Islamic world."

As can be witnessed, Zaynab and Zayd's marriage was exemplary in that it made understood that superiority is based on the level of piety and fear of Allah. Nobody can be superior to another based on their lineage; the first criteria that should be sought when assessing compatibility should be Islam.

Why could she not just divorce her husband and marry someone else?

As we can see, the Messenger of Allah's marriage to Zaynab did not occur through his own desire, but a divine revelation . Yes,  she wanted divorce from her husband {Zayd }

That would remove the doubt about the authenticity of this revelation

No one had doubt about the authenticity of revelation. You must have missed a point that if Prophet was to withheld any revelation he would have holded this revelation first. Infact it was a severest trial for the prophet.

because why would a prophet have God someone divorce their husband to marry someone else. Many so called " prophets" have had divine commands to marry another mans wife... so you can understand my doubt I am sure.

Let me clear Dr, that Prophet did not marry else wife. Infact both Zayd and Zainab wanted to get separated. They finally were separated. According to the system of that society then, Zainab since was a divorcee shud have been married to a slave only ! Again it would have been a problem to her. Meanwhile Allah revealed

: "But thou didst hide in thy heart that which Allah was about to make manifest: thou didst fear the people, but it is more fitting that thou should fear Allah. Then when Zaid had dissolved (his marriage) with her, with the necessary (formality), We joined her in marriage to thee: in order that (in future) there may be no difficulty to the Believers in (the matter of) marriage with the wives of their adopted sons, when the latter have dissolved with the necessary (formality) (their marriage) with them. And Allah's command must be fulfilled." (Surah Al-Ahzab (33: 37).

Despite the order to marry Zaynab was one which was very difficult for the Prophet, it was impossible for him to dismiss since it was Allah the Almighty's command. The marriage had taken place in the eyes of Allah, with the angels acting as witnesses.

To be blunt, it appears to me that the purpose of this verse could have been because of his desire for another mans wife.

Ahhh ! You are wrong Dough.

Khadija {first wife of prophet} died in 617 and in 620 according to another. His marriage to Zaynab took place in 627. Considering that Zayd and Zaynab's marriage lasted approximately a year and a half, it would have been possible for Prophet Muhammad to have wed Zaynab in the five years following the death of Khadija; however, he did not. If Prophet Muhammad had desired to marry Zaynab prior to Zayd's marriage to her, he would have actualized this desire.

According to this custom, the Arabs regarded the adopted sons and foster sons equally in all respects. This, of course, is against human nature and as such had to be abrogated. However, as a social custom, it was so deeply rooted in the Arab society that it could only be the Prophet's personality, which could abolish it. Consequently, on the Almighty's bidding, the Prophet married her to sympathize with her and to reform this custom.� 

Thanks for the response. Perhaps you can clarify.

If I am direct, I apologize. I honestly want to know the truth.

I hope it shall get you clarified. You can any number of times untill you get cleared. I may not be regular but i shall see that other members attend you. Our goal is to let out the truth and clear your misconceptions about Islam. You are always welcome Dough.

And yes don't get low when you see your posts to get approvals. Most of the new members get this complaint. It's to avoid spamming. Irrespective of any religion, all new members, untill they reach certain number of posts need to wait for the approvals from mods and admin.

Edited by seekshidayath - 06 May 2010 at 4:09am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic