IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > General Islamic Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Pray for Unbelievers?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pray for Unbelievers?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AiQadr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pray for Unbelievers?
    Posted: 02 May 2010 at 6:31am
The other day, a husband of my wife's colleague died. What is the practice Muslims are supposed to follow for an unbeliever who dies? The man was a member of the Chinese Communist Party, so probably an atheist. I've been doing extra rakat and saying prayers for him. But I'd like to hear some advice from others who know more than me. I do recall several places in the Quran where Abraham was told not to pray for his idoloter father. Does that apply here?
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 11:00am
Asalaam ALaikum,

Do you know he was an athiest? Do you know he rejected God?  But yes we are told not to pray
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 11:51pm
As Salamu Alaikum brother

Read this hadith

Muslim (976) narrated that Abu Hurayrah said: The messenger of Allaah (blessings and peace of Allaah be upon him) said: �I asked my Lord for permission to pray for forgiveness for my mother but He did not give me permission. And I asked Him for permission to visit her grave and He gave me permission.�
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 12:52am
Salam,

I find this interesting. For example, we want people to come into Islam then why do we not pray for them to find the truth? And why can we not pray for anyone in any circumstance?
some of us are a lot like cement:- all mixed up and permanently set
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 4:50am
Walaikum Salaam Martha

Indeed we are to make prayers for them very much to show them righteous path. You know Martha, Prophet Muhammad {sallal lahu alayhi wasallam} used to pray for them alot . Even we are to make prayers for their guidance apart from inviting them towards Islam .

May Allah swt guide us all. Aameen

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 4:51am
Martha,

There is a difference if someone is still alive. We can absolutely pray for people. We should pray that they should find Islam.

If they die as someone who rejected Islam then we are not given permission to pray for them. Sort of "they made their bed type" of thing.  This, I do not think, includes children or say mentally ill people.. I could be wrong.

it can be hard. My parents died 'rejecting' and made their choice. In fact I would say that it is different if they knowingly rejected. My parents knew about Islam, they were highly educated.. My father lived for a couple of years in Pakistan. It was not like he was uneducated and lived in the highlands somewhere where there are no Muslims.  Upon my mother's passing a prayed a brief prayer asking for Allah's mercy and let it go. 

So we can absolutely pray for people when they are alive.

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 5:20am
Seeks and Hayfa,

Thanks for the clarification on this.

Detracting slightly from the OP topic perhaps, but what happens to people who have never heard of Islam or the Prophet(pbuh) or the Quran. What provision is made for them after death if any?

some of us are a lot like cement:- all mixed up and permanently set
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 5:49am
Good question Sis Martha

Allah swt is Just. Allah swt says in the Qur'an, " "We will not punish without sending someone to warn you". If the message of Islam does n't reach a person, then it is said that they shall have a special test on the day of Judgement, Based on that they shall be judge. Mostly, Martha, message is reached to almost all the people.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic