IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Problems in the Bible?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Problems in the Bible?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mansoor_ali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problems in the Bible?
    Posted: 30 April 2010 at 10:33am

Topic:Problems in the Bible?

I am going to represent some problems in Bible.I hope christians will respond logically.

If you read Gospel of Mark 14:1-11, Matthew26:1-13, John 12:1-8, and compare them then you will find mistakes.

Mark 14 and Matthew 26 say that woman poured the perfume on the head of Jesus Christ but John 12 says that she poured it on Jesus's feet.

Matthew 26 says that disciples of Christ were angry when they saw this but John 12 says that one of Jesus's disciples Judas Iscariot was angry when he saw this event.

So how christians will logically response?

I♥Jesus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I♥Jesus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2010 at 11:38am
Originally posted by Mansoor_ali Mansoor_ali wrote:

I am going to represent some problems in Bible.I hope christians will respond logically.

If you read Gospel of Mark 14:1-11, Matthew26:1-13, John 12:1-8, and compare them then you will find mistakes.

Mark 14 and Matthew 26 say that woman poured the perfume on the head of Jesus Christ but John 12 says that she poured it on Jesus's feet.

Matthew 26 says that disciples of Christ were angry when they saw this but John 12 says that one of Jesus's disciples Judas Iscariot was angry when he saw this event.

Different observers and different observations.  Matthew and Mark do not say Jesus' feet were not perfumed, and if Matthew says there were angry disciples and John says Judas was angry where is the 'mistake'?

What this shows is that Matthew, Mark and John were written independently. 

Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 7:06am
The gospels are based on oral traditions. Mark, Matthew and John were not present when the woman was using this perfume. They had no video cameras or tape recorders to document a historical event.

Trying to reconstruct what exactly happened is a very challenging academic task. One method is called

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higher_criticism

but there are others as well.

For certain parts in scripture we don't know for sure what exactly happened is the logical response. Other parts have fewer or no inconsistencies, like the crucifixion for example

A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
Andalus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andalus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by Mansoor_ali Mansoor_ali wrote:

One issue that represents a huge problem is that even with the most ancient texts contained in the Christian collection, the earliests are nothing more than copies of copies of copies of an oral tradition without any method of "quality control" in the transmission. This lack of crtieria to maintain some kind of accuracy in the oral and written transmissions engenders serious questions: What did the copy look like that the earliest came from? What did the other copy look like? Without these answers, no one can claim how historical or how accurate the gospels are. All we can say is that we have an early copy that establishes the narrative in the third century, and no view of the written transmission anytime before that.  Furthermore, it has come to light that the early christian communities were extremely diverse in their ideas of Jesus and they would even differ on the gospel they would read. It is a historical fact that the consolidation of christian belief occured when the proto orthodox came out on top and then rewrote the history, including which books were "orthodox" and which were not.
A feeling of discouragement when you slip up is a sure sign that you put your faith in deeds. -Ibn 'Ata'llah
http://www.sunnipath.com
http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/
http://www.pt-go.com/
I♥Jesus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I♥Jesus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 8:50pm
Remember, Mansoor, the Bible is not the Christian 'Qu'ran'.  It is the Christian Hadith, and just like Islam different reporters have different details in their observations. 

Where there is no difference is in the character of Jesus.  The four gospels are very different, but Jesus is the same personality in each one.  You can be confident that the gospels paint an accurate picture of what your prophet Jesus was actually like.
If Allah had so willed, He would have made you a single people, but (His plan is) to test you in what He hath given you: so strive as in a race in all virtues. 5:48
Mansoor_ali View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mansoor_ali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 1:04am

Different observers and different observations.  Matthew and Mark do not say Jesus' feet were not perfumed,

It is your assumption.You have to confirm that Matthew and Mark say Jesus's feet were perfumed.

and if Matthew says there were angry disciples and John says Judas was angry where is the 'mistake'?

Matthew says disciples were angry but John says one of Jesus's disciples Judas was angry.

I know.

Remember, Mansoor, the Bible is not the Christian 'Qu'ran'.  It is the Christian Hadith, and just like Islam different reporters have different details in their observations.

Hadiths may be wrong and may be correct.We have authentic Hadiths but at the same time we also have weak Hadiths,fabricated Hadiths.But this is not a case with Gospels.

Christians believe that the Gospels were recorded by inspired men and that its contents are inspired. However, Muslims don't believe that those who transmitted or collected the hadith were inspired by God like how Christians believe for their Gospel authors.Thus, it wouldn't be a surprise to find mistakes in hadeeth even if they have an authentic chain of transmission .But for the Christian Gospels we should expect to not find any errors since those who transmitted them are supposed to be directly inspired by God.

Visit:

Are The Gospels Like The Authentic Hadith?
 The Hadith Vs. The Gospels.

I♥Jesus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I♥Jesus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 4:21am

Different observers and different observations.  Matthew and Mark do not say Jesus' feet were not perfumed,

It is your assumption.You have to confirm that Matthew and Mark say Jesus's feet were perfumed.

No, it is obvious that both statements can be true.

and if Matthew says there were angry disciples and John says Judas was angry where is the 'mistake'?

Matthew says disciples were angry but John says one of Jesus's disciples Judas was angry.

If Judas was angry, and another disciple was also angry, both statements are correct.

I know.

Hadiths may be wrong and may be correct.We have authentic Hadiths but at the same time we also have weak Hadiths,fabricated Hadiths.But this is not a case with Gospels.

Christians believe that the Gospels were recorded by inspired men and that its contents are inspired. However, Muslims don't believe that those who transmitted or collected the hadith were inspired by God like how Christians believe for their Gospel authors.Thus, it wouldn't be a surprise to find mistakes in hadeeth even if they have an authentic chain of transmission .But for the Christian Gospels we should expect to not find any errors since those who transmitted them are supposed to be directly inspired by God.

Your Muslim sources are in error as to the way Christian read the Bible.  John Darby, an 18th century Englishman, promoted this 'inerrant' bible interpretation in America.   It has some adherents today, but this idea was unknown for the first 1800 years of Christianity.

The purpose of the Christians scriptures is to teach the nature of righteousness (2 Timothy 3:16-17).  You will not find the gospels in error in this regard.

The Qu'ran says there is truth in the Bible, and I believe it also says the Muslim is to seek out that truth using the Qu'ran as a criterion.  Clearly the Bible was preserved for Muslims as much as for Christians and Jews.  The Bible is the narrative of your prophets and their respective sharia. 

What truths have you found in your Bible reading?

If Allah had so willed, He would have made you a single people, but (His plan is) to test you in what He hath given you: so strive as in a race in all virtues. 5:48
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 1:06am
Originally posted by I♥Jesus I♥Jesus wrote:

No, it is obvious that both statements can be true.

If Judas was angry, and another disciple was also angry, both statements are correct.

I know.

Your Muslim sources are in error as to the way Christian read the Bible.  John Darby, an 18th century Englishman, promoted this 'inerrant' bible interpretation in America.   It has some adherents today, but this idea was unknown for the first 1800 years of Christianity.

The purpose of the Christians scriptures is to teach the nature of righteousness (2 Timothy 3:16-17).  You will not find the gospels in error in this regard.

The Qu'ran says there is truth in the Bible, and I believe it also says the Muslim is to seek out that truth using the Qu'ran as a criterion.  Clearly the Bible was preserved for Muslims as much as for Christians and Jews.  The Bible is the narrative of your prophets and their respective sharia. 

What truths have you found in your Bible reading?

Interesting what you say, but I find it to be very different. Before I touched the Bible when I did not knew it, I could never imagine it to be inconsistent. This was the time I knew Quran very little as well.
It was later when I picked up the Quran and the Bible to read them and to know them. To my surprise, I could not believe lapses and inconsistencies I found in the Bible. It seemed a very different book than the people I knew who hold it sacred and follow it. Its position about God, Jesus, and Salvation (beside many other issues) suggest a) that the source behind it is more than one that are different in nature, or someone inconsistent, or b) those who put it together/wrote it has something to do with those issues that show opposing views within its contents. There is no way that two people given inspiration or revelation would contradict their single source in essence.
Because of my belief, Islam which tells me that it (what we collectively call the Bible) is from God, I rule out a), because I believe God to be all knowing and consistent. It must be (b) those who transmitted it, the writers or copiers and so forth.
I would start with bigger issues like who/what is God in the Bible, or the status of Jesus, or how and what the Bible teach about Salvation. I have personally found very clear problems with all three of those in the Bible, and they are for many of us the top of the list. The Quran on the other hand is not only very clear on those three but also absolutely consistent throughout. And by the way, they have been discussed here before. If you are unable to find those posts, we can start over, I don't mind digging through my notes for such an important issue, simply because new members visit and come to find their answers, yet it is not easy to trace and go through so many posts and files buried under.
Hasan

Edited by honeto - 05 May 2010 at 1:18am
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic