IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > General Islamic Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - NEED QUESTION ANSWERED!!  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NEED QUESTION ANSWERED!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knowledge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEED QUESTION ANSWERED!!
    Posted: 19 March 2005 at 10:06am

I do not believe that I need to choose a train of thought (sect of Islam) to be on the straight path.  I want to only go strickly by the Quran and Sunnah.  Some say you must choose, I do not believe so.  My question is, since I do not categorize myself in any sect, is it wrong for me to pray with Sunni Muslims at a local mosque?

Thank you in advance to anybody who answers.

Yusuf. View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yusuf. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2005 at 10:14am

Assalamu alaikum,

Allah Knows Best, if you follow the Qur'an and Sunnah of our beloved Prophet, salallahu alaihi wassalam, you are by definition a Sunni Muslim and should have no hesitation about praying with other Sunnis.

However, you might consider following one of the Sunni madhhabs. The following link provides some excellent information on the wisdom of following one:

http://www.themodernreligion.com/madhab.html

Yusuf
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2005 at 10:15am

Bismillah,

I have been a muslimah for 20 years, and I have prayed beside Sunnis, Shiites, and others.  We follow the Imam, and I have always been comfortable and often spritually uplifted by group prayers.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Knowledge01 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knowledge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2005 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Yusuf. Yusuf. wrote:

Assalamu alaikum,

Allah Knows Best, if you follow the Qur'an and Sunnah of our beloved Prophet, salallahu alaihi wassalam, you are by definition a Sunni Muslim and should have no hesitation about praying with other Sunnis.

However, you might consider following one of the Sunni madhhabs. The following link provides some excellent information on the wisdom of following one:

http://www.themodernreligion.com/madhab.html

Thank you for replying.  My main point was that I DON'T call myself a Sunni, and I don't want to be called a Sunni, not because I don't like or agree with something they believe, because that's not true, but because I want to make sure I stay on the straight path and by going only by the Quran and Sunnah, I know I am on the straight path. 

Can anybody find anything in the Quran that gives me a definite answer on the topic?

IslamicGirl View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IslamicGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2005 at 7:13am

Khowledge01

Salamz, hey I totally agree.. you are either a Muslim Brother/Sister or you are not.

Islam is about submitting yourself totally to Islam, or not... believer or non-believer (ie. not both).

if you get my drift...???

Knowledge01 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knowledge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2005 at 8:42am
Yes I feel what your saying and agree.
unity1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unity1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2005 at 11:46am

Asalam Aalaikum

According to my understanding and knowledge, it is not necessary to follow a perticular School of Thought because that restricts a persons mental approach to several issues.

A person then doesnot use his own intellect and only depends on the opinions and teachings of the Imam or Scholar of that School of Thought.This is also dangerous for our intellectuality.

Their are several verses of the Qur'an that are encouraging Muslims to ponder and pay heed.

Some people who follow a School of Thought might advise others to also pick or chose a School of Thought and justify his advise by quoting some references from the Qur'an.
They usually quote a verse of the Qur'an(Iam sorry I donot remember the exact reference from the Qur'an) which says "Ask those who know". They use this phrase to convince others to chose a School of Thought but I donot agree with this idea since no where in the Qur'an, Allah(swt) encourages and advises Muslims to follow a perticular set of thought introduced by perticular groups of people.

As far as this phrase "Ask those who know" is concerned, this refers to Scholars and knowledgable people who have good knowledge about the Qur'an and the Sunnah of the Prophet(pbuh).

If for the sake of argument we assume that this phrase of the Qur'anic verse is refering to Schools of Thought, then how will you justify which School of Thought this verse of the Qur'an is refering to?

I hope it helps,

Regards

who call themselves superior are actually inferior in the eyes of Allah.Those who call themselves slaves of Allah are superior not only in the eyes of Allah but also superior in the eyes of man.
abdnur View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abdnur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2005 at 6:12pm

Salamu Alaykum!

Knowledge01, you are ABSOLUTELY right, you are a MUSLIM and pray to Allah to keep you on His straight path.

But, I like to clarify a few things. Your local mosque, the people there are also Muslim, they follow the sunnah like you. They may call themselves SUNNI to distinghish themselves from others or to enphasize that they follow the sunnah. Names are not that important, it's your beliefs that are crucial.

In ISLAM, there are no, SUNNI, SHIA, SUFI, SALAFI, MADHABI, HANAFI, WAHABI, JIHADI, HIJABI, NIQABI, ....., whatever,.... MUSLIM.

Yes MUSLIMS have all of these names they use but YOU are not required to use them to be guided to the straight path.

I can come up with a long list of names to use such as, I am a:

american, african, female, tall, educated, pious, devout, white, latin,...Muslim. All of these are descriptive names that one identifies with, but without the main name MUSLIM, they are worthless in the hereafter.

There are no MADHABS in ISLAM, they tell you choose one of the FOUR madhabs, why FOUR? who said so? Those who advocate following a madhab, say any madhab is OK but follow mine, mine is better than the other three. We start to develop an allegiance to the madhab more than to ISLAM, to the sheikh/mufti/alim more than to the PROPHET.

"say (to them, oh MOHAMAD) If you really love ALLAH then FOLLOW ME, ALLAH will make you BELOVED to HIM"

So who do YOU follow?

Anyone who ask you to follow someone? this should be your response:

I will follow THEM as long as THEY follow HIM, and when THEY don't follow HIM, I will still follow HIM. (you will be rewarded for your Intentions).

HIM: is our belove prophet MOHAMMAD

THEM, THEY: are all OTHER humans, those who passed and those who shall come.

Do not let devil confuse you ISLAM is straight and simple.

abdnur

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic