IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > General Islamic Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - NEED QUESTION ANSWERED!!  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NEED QUESTION ANSWERED!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEED QUESTION ANSWERED!!
    Posted: 29 March 2005 at 9:52pm

As Salamu Alaikum

This is a topic that comes up now and again.

Madhhab

My opinion is no - we don't follow any particular Imam.

The Prophet (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam) stated that we should follow what's in the Glorious Qur'an, his Sunnah and the Righteous Caliphs that follow him.

If we do that, we are Insha Allah on the right path, the Siratul-Mustaqeem.

Regarding the brother who states that he prefers to pray alone, because he is not sure about the character and conduct of the imam, then he is moving away from the Sunnah. If the Imam is guilty of taking interest etc then Insha Allah that is between the Imam and Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala but by him adopting his manner he is depriving himself of the reward for men who pray in congregation and also he is also depriving himself of following a Sunnah of the Prophet (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam).

Let's face it; there are very few Muslims who can honestly say that they are living their lives as the early Muslims did � the first few generations of Muslims. We are caught up in a rat-race, the track of which is never ending. Can we seriously deny ourselves the few rewards that we can get? No I don't think so, we have to grab every little reward that comes our way.

Of course for woman it is a different story. She gets more Ajar (reward) for praying at home.

Come let's fight the Shaitan within us.

�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)
nadir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nadir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2005 at 7:42am

As-Salaamu Alaikum

Dear Orhan,

Please do not think that, you are strange (ie �That is why I am strange, I look at the things from different angle�), as �normal� is a myth. I have heard many people I know say things like, �our family is crazy�, however they base their opinions on false perceptions.

The media for a start conditions us into thinking, this is what a �normal family/person� is, however the media portrays a false world, a world which may be portrayed as �perfect� (ie this is what a family/person should be like), or indeed �incoherent� (ie lots of dramatic events taking place, for the sake of excitement & viewing figures).

Also when you are invited to someone else�s house as a guest, the host�s family will inevitably be on best behaviour, and hence hide any shortcomings, giving the perception of a totally harmonious family/person, when in fact every family (as every person) has it�s �defects�.

I agree with much of what you say, to pick up on your point - �By the way how could someone's intention of doing things for reward be right? Isn't it odd!�

From my experience, if one does good deeds for (Allah alone), & hence for a spiritual reward (& not necessarily a worldly reward), then you will be close to the truth, as you can attain peace of mind, by doing things for others (peace of mind in this world & paradise in the Here-after). Peace of mind that a selfish, greedy person can never attain.

With regards to your final point � �Same goes for the intention of praying in the mosque, you pray for more rewards or you pray at home because you are sure that no one will see you except Him performing your prayers. And the only thing you care is closenes to Allah SWT. and not to people!�

I agree that, Salah is for Allah (swt) alone, but surely if you make the intention before you go to the Masjid, that you are going there to offer Salah for Allah alone, this is superior than offering it at home by yourself.

I say this as when you are at home by yourself, you are sure, only Allah (swt) knows that you are offering Salah, however if you go to the Masjid, the satan may tempt you into �showing off�, hence if you can overcome that temptation, your Salah will be far superior, as at home you do not have the test of overcoming that temptation.

I hold you close to my heart, and hope I have helped

Wa-Salaam

nadir

Al-Hamdulilah

AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2005 at 7:18pm

Dear Bro Knowledge01;

Your ideas are simple and encouraging to the extent that we, as muslims, are asked to tightly hold the rope of Allah and not to differentiate among ourselves. Definitely, the whole purpose of Islam is to serve Allah and obey His commands. Whole Quran is replete with Ayahs, time and again, to recognise Him and Worship Him alone. This is the basic essence of Islam. Rest everything is secondary. To be true Muslim, it is equally important to refrain from getting into different sects and getting divided. I think, Knowledge based implementation of Islam on ones own self is far better than blind faith based ritualistic followers of Ulemas. This is kind of new awakenings in the youngsters of this ummah. However, one should also realize that not all members of this ummah have this capability to do it. Not everyone has time to do it or for that matter not everyone has the opportunity to have access to rich database of research materials, where people like you, may have through internet or other libraries. It is, often, for them  that is said that they should stick to one particular Madhib or imam and try their best to follow him. Otherwise people tend to take decisions based on the criteria of "least resistance" than of "most appropriate" in their day to day affairs. It is this habit of "swinging madhib" that is often resisted by the Ulema. So, if you think you are an honest believer and would like to be truth seeker for Allah alone, than be it. You don't have to be called sunni, shia, or anything similar. Hopefully you shall get guidance from Allah in all your matters, Inshallah. However, if you ever get stuck, don't hesitate to ask those who know it, not from one, but from many of them and of varying beliefs. Then based on what you think is the best logical arguments and evidence they have presented to you, go and follow that. Be sure not to follow the path based on your "ease" or "likable" but on "logic" and overall understanding of Islam. Rest Allah knows the best. Cheers!

nadir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nadir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2005 at 4:13pm

As-Salaam Alaikum

The point is he (Muhammad [saw]) 'came to be' long before he was ever born into this world. Did not Allah (swt) create his spirit before He breathed it into his Physical form?

Hence to celebrate his birthday is to celebrate the 'flesh', and not the 'spirit'..... hope that makes sense to you.

With regards to my personal issue with the term 'sunni muslim', surely to say, 'i am sunni', is to say i am on the correct path (as a pose to whabbi etc), hence this can only have the effect of creating pride in oneself, & separation within the Muslim community.

If we say �we are Muslim�, this negates the above problem, brings us together as Muslim's, & also allows that - yes we are individuals, and yes we will differ in opinions with regards to certain aspects of our lives (which is fine, as long as we do not innovate upon our religion).

For example, it would be rude of me to say to you, �You are not allowed to speak to anyone at the Masjid you attend, as you may corrupt/become corrupted because of your/their lack of under/overstanding of Islam.�

When you could equally say to me, �I have read Hadith that clearly state, I have an obligation to greet my Muslim brother, with a handshake & As-Salaam Alaikum.�

Perhaps an easier example to under/overstand is that, you could not say �because I have given lots of money in charity, I am a better Muslim than you�. As I might say �Well I am poor, and have given my time, so that makes me a better Muslim than you!�

Sorry, I have to laugh, because I do not have a clue if this is going to make sense to you (computers have many limitations), hope it does�..

Insha Allah

Al-Hamdulilah

A-Tirawi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A-Tirawi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2005 at 12:24pm

[/QUOTE]

Yes, I'm simply a Muslim, follower of Allah and the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH).  I have run across articles and things said about both sunni and shia ways of thought that I don't agree with.  Some have in time proven to turn out to be false teachings on part of someone probably trying to keep people from converting to Islam and knowing the truth.  I cannot think of any specific thing that I don't agree with on the sunni train of thought.  I have nothing against them.

[/QUOTE]

Can you give me some examples please other than the Prophet's (saw) b-day (which no one knows exactly).  And even if they do, what is the harm in honoring the day he came to be?  After all, Muhammad (saw) used to say that "one will not attain perfect faith until he loves me (Muhammad) more than any other person in this world, including himself." 

orhan_osmani View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orhan_osmani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2005 at 10:26am

Assalamu Alaikum,

Thank you for the advises given as well as the corrections. The way I see things might be very wrong or too paranoia. But I cant do much about it.

My way of looking at things certainly differs from yours. Let me explain how:

I dont give charity for to get rewards, but because I know my rewards (if I get any) are fewer than my sins. I do it for sake of Allah swt and for those who need charity.

I dont charity give with intention of that I dont have to have concern weather does it reach the intended person or not. I have strong believe that when I give in the name of The Almighty Allah swt it will reach the right personsh. That is why I am strange, I look at the things from different angle. 

I dont do that because I am a pios man, but because I am a sinner.

By the way how could someone's intention of doing things for reward be right? Isn't it odd!

Don't you see that intentions could be wrong, and we think that we are doing right. Isn't this misleading of ourselves?

Intention doing things for reward might give you a reward, but the intention of making Allah swt Happy might give you more or less but you still do it because of Allah's Instruction(Order) and Muhammad's (PBUH) as well. So, in this case you do it from obedience and submission to Allah SWT - and not for the rewards. Isn't Islam submission to His will?

Same goes for the intention of praying in the mosque, you pray for more rewards or you pray at home because you are sure that no one will see you except Him performing your prayers. And the only thing you care is closenes to Allah SWT. and not to people!

May Allah SWT forgive us the sins we know and those we don't.

Wassalam,

Orhan

Edited by orhan_osmani
nadir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nadir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2005 at 4:17am

As-Salaam Alaikum

Sorry brother, it was not my intention to suggest that you have not received �many loving and encouraging words from Muslim brothas.�

I have no idea how recent your �reverting� to Islam is, hence my point was closer to the mark of - if you have only seen �one form� of Islam (at one Masjid), your view of what Islam is & what was happening in Islam, on an �overall level� might be limited.

Although if you are �new� to Islam, maybe it is dangerous to take on too much at once, hence I wish you all the best, & hope you find all you require in your current Masjid. 

Al-Hamdulilah

Knowledge01 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knowledge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2005 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by nadir nadir wrote:

Originally posted by A-Tirawi A-Tirawi wrote:

Originally posted by Knowledge01 Knowledge01 wrote:

Originally posted by Yusuf. Yusuf. wrote:

Assalamu alaikum,

Allah Knows Best, if you follow the Qur'an and Sunnah of our beloved Prophet, salallahu alaihi wassalam, you are by definition a Sunni Muslim and should have no hesitation about praying with other Sunnis.

However, you might consider following one of the Sunni madhhabs. The following link provides some excellent information on the wisdom of following one:

http://www.themodernreligion.com/madhab.html

Thank you for replying.  My main point was that I DON'T call myself a Sunni, and I don't want to be called a Sunni, not because I don't like or agree with something they believe, because that's not true, but because I want to make sure I stay on the straight path and by going only by the Quran and Sunnah, I know I am on the straight path. 

Can anybody find anything in the Quran that gives me a definite answer on the topic?

Salaam

Ok, i understand what you are trying to say.  You are saying you are simply a Muslim.  But i must ask one question, in ur prior post, u wrote

that I don't want to be called a Sunni, not because I don't like or agree with something they believe

And this implies to me that there are some things that you MAY not agree with sunni?  Is ther anything that you believe as simply a Muslim that the Sunni Muslims do not agree with?

Salaam,

Is a Muslim not someone who follows the Qur'an and Sunnah of the Prophet (saw)?

hence where has the term 'sunni muslim' originated from?

I have met 'sunni muslim's' who celebrate the Prophets (saw) birthday, is that Sunnah!

To you Knowledge01, I wish to say that, if Allah (swt) has decreed that you are to be of His 'chosen ones', He will guide you to the right path, no matter who tries to corrupt you.

If you feel uncomfortable at the mosque you pray at, try another one, you can always return to your current place of worship. The brothers offer you good advice when they say you should offer your Salah at a mosque.

Insha Allah

I do not feel uncomfortable in any way at the current masjid I've been attending.  In fact, its just the opposite.  I've received many loving and encouraging words from Muslim brothas. 

Islam ignites a brotherhood in every man, woman, and child that cannot be found many other places.  It is a very inspiring, touching feeling.  I believe this is why Allah has encouraged us to attend Jumah and other Muslim gatherings.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic