IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why should one be muslim ?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why should one be muslim ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Pati View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why should one be muslim ?
    Posted: 23 May 2010 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by abdelhamidem abdelhamidem wrote:

Salam to everyone.

I'll be straight forward. I was born muslim and I've been struggling with my faith for many years. Downs and highs like many muslims experience I think. Last summer I decided to stop that yoyo faith, and ask myself why my faith isn't steady. The answer is because I'm not fully convinced. Why am I not fully convinced? I don't really know... I could list a few things that I don't understand or even disagree with Islam, but I think my real question, the one that would give me real strong faith if it was answer is:

[...]

Today, the only thing I'm certain of is that God exists. I'm just not sure about Islam anymore.

How can you answer me? And please, don't shoot. I'm a honest person, asking honest questions, honestly looking for answers.

Hi abdelhamidem,

First of all, I want to tell you that I fully understand your feelings, because I had it. I am Catholic, and I was, for long time (years), rejecting any religious feeling (hurting everyone with that way). But the truth is that it was not a personal thing, but a social one: my friends were not interested in religion, they said they were "atheist" or whatever... and I was such a weak person that I just followed them.

But after time, I realize that I never stopped believing in God, I just made a theatre to be "cool". But the feeling was there, and actually, it just re-appeared in public one day, when one of my friends said the worst blasphemy it may exist, and something inside me like an ON button was reactivated and I started a strong discussion with that person, talking about God, about how good He is and how ungrateful we, st**id humanity are. I was talking for I don't know how long, and finally, he asked for forgiveness and we went on with our friendship.

That was the moment I realized that sometimes, we are weak as human being, but sooner or later God is sending us the message, or the power or whatever to show us that the truth is inside us.

My suggestion for you is just to explore Islam from the deeper part of your heart. Give Islam a chance, because maybe there is a button inside you waiting to be on, and you cannot say you are not Muslim, until you know you are believing in God trough other Faith (that's another possibility, but I would suggest you to leave this one apart by the moment).

Try to concentrate yourself, read the Quran and pray asking directly God for the answer you need, and maybe you will realize that the answer was always there.

Regards,
Patricia
No God wants the killing, but the peace.
The weapons are carried by people, not by religions.
I♥Jesus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I♥Jesus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 10:18am
Originally posted by Nur_Ilahi Nur_Ilahi wrote:

A true religion is a religion that is compatible with the intellect.

I think a pagan religion is one which is compatible with the intellect.  Compatibility with intellect can be achieved simply by discarding revelation.

What is the "intellectual compatibility" of praying at specific times?  Of Ramadan or Hajj at specific times?  Furthermore, Muhammad also said there were times NOT to pray.

This is not to criticize Islam, but to give an example of why I disagree with your logic.  Islam would simpler, and more intellectually compatible if these rules were discarded.  Islam has very few miracles, but do the miracles of the elephant or of Muhammad producing water from his fingertips in the desert make Islam any less true?

The simplest and most intellectually compatible religion is worship of self.  God becomes a projection of man's desire.   "New Age" religions are very simple and intellectually compatible for this reason.  People love them because they 'make sense' and it makes them feel good.  Well enough, but there is nothing there but idolatry.  No scriptural revelation, no prophecy, no miracles, no healing.

No, I think a true religion has a connection to divine power.  I think simple and understandable is more likely to indicate falsity and man-made origins.
If Allah had so willed, He would have made you a single people, but (His plan is) to test you in what He hath given you: so strive as in a race in all virtues. 5:48
Gibbs View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gibbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 7:01am
Thanks Hayfa

Anyway I prefer to keep this about the appropriate subject matter than about what duties military personnel have.
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 6:28am
  Iagree with Gibbs. A sniper is part of ANY countries military. I bet you there are snipers from all over the globe. Because someone is a sniper does not mean they are a coward either. They have a special skill. That is all. If anyone watches a biathalon they are incredible people who can ski really, really fast over long distance, stop, bring the heart rate down and shoot.  I would not assume  that someone is a sniper because they are a coward. It is one position in a military.

Many people all over the world join their countries armed forces. They DO believe they are there to defend their country. Having a military is not wrong. What it, at times, is used for is wrong. But not all the time. Often the soldiers are worth no more than anyone else. They too are pawns. Just like ALOT of people who follow various leaders and power hungry people.

Edited by Hayfa - 24 May 2010 at 11:30am
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Gibbs View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gibbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 1:16am
@ Nur_Ilahi

Nice to know you assume where my friends are stationed. If you must know they (they are three) are stationed in Germany. Two are Navy Seals who I'm sure would kill Iraqi insurgets without the need to hide. Anyway its obvious you don't have any knowledge of American military.
Nur_Ilahi View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nur_Ilahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by Gibbs Gibbs wrote:

Hindus I'm sure believe what they believe is a way of life. I'm pretty confident I don't need to prove that since India has made the cow sacred which tells me that respecting this animal is not a temporary thing but a way of life for them this is what I meant.

A true religion is a religion that is compatible with the intellect.
Ilahi Anta Maksudi, Wa Redhaka Mathlubi - Oh Allah, You are my destination, Your Pleasure is my Intention.
Nur_Ilahi View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nur_Ilahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by Gibbs Gibbs wrote:

Nur_Ilahi that American sniper comment was a low blow. I have friends that serve in the armed forces and if you imply the duties of an American sniper implies cowardice I would think again. This isn't about military might

In the first place, your friend or the American Army, has no right to be there.

People do not call a sniper a sniper if he shows bravery, is it not?
Ilahi Anta Maksudi, Wa Redhaka Mathlubi - Oh Allah, You are my destination, Your Pleasure is my Intention.
Gibbs View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gibbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 9:40pm
As far as being sure I was referring to being sure from the perspective of the of the believer. Every person of faith believes their religion is a way of life and it is. Every article of faith is tantamount to laws we follow everyday in our respective lands.

Hindus I'm sure believe what they believe is a way of life. I'm pretty confident I don't need to prove that since India has made the cow sacred which tells me that respecting this animal is not a temporary thing but a way of life for them this is what I meant.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic