IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Plucking Eyebrows = HARAM!  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plucking Eyebrows = HARAM!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hastye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 9:48pm
yes bleach works just as well!!! :)
ctenophora View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctenophora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2010 at 3:52am
I agree that plucking your eyebrows is forbidden, but is cutting them forbidden? And cutting in the term of enhancing the shape, not changing it. Because I've always known namas means plucking, but is cutting cursed too? Please gimme an answer. ):
bluepen03 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluepen03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 1:51am
Salam,

I don't under stand why eyebrow plucking is haram.

If eye brow shaping is haram, then so is wearing eyeliner and makeup.
but since this is not explicitly mention in any Hadith or the Qur'an it's ok?

I understand that men and women can be captivated by beauty of ones eyes. so, if someone was born with perfect eyebrows where it looks really neat and well groomed, it's ok, even if their eyebrows look attractive.
but others who weren't blessed with good looking eyebrows have to leave them be?

I understand that the purpose of the Hadith is so that we don't alter what we are born with. 'shaping the teeth.' does braces account for that??? and I know my dentist has trimmed my teeth before...why? i never questioned.

And I know women who actually alter their appearance by shaving off the eyebrow and tattooing it completely. this i can see why it's haram, because u r literally changing whats on your face, but shaping your eyebrow is like giving yourself a haircut.....

unless that too is haram...
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 12:16am
Originally posted by bluepen03 bluepen03 wrote:

Salam,

I don't under stand why eyebrow plucking is haram.

You can get the part b/w your brows cleaned up - there is a hadith (Saying  of Prophet Muhammad) that tells muslim women (and men) not to get tattoos and piercings, and space their teeth or shape their brows because this is what the non-muslim women used to do. (In summary).

If eye brow shaping is haram, then so is wearing eyeliner and makeup.
but since this is not explicitly mention in any Hadith or the Qur'an it's ok?

Wearing eye-liner and makeup is not haraam - it depends on how you use it. If you are using these products to show-off or attract the attention of un-related males, then it can be haraam. Depends on the use.

There is nothing wrong with women using make-up or eye-liner for their husbands, family-members or in female gatherings.

Practically speaking if you want to use make-up in your daily life, to hide scars/acne or to look more presentable, best to do it in an under-stated manner without looking too ostentatious. (Heavy eye-makeup, colorful lips etc).

Many women don't realise it is for the general betterment of women. As Muslims, we are encouraged to dress up and display our ornaments to our men (spouses) and family-members, not the general public. This is better rather than have a society where women dress to the nines when they go out in public, creating an environment of female competition where women are judged based on looks and their beauty is being rated and judged by random people.

Also, there IS a hadith that talks about eye-brow plucking - scholars say it is okay to clean up the part above the nose, (which causes the unibrow) because it is not part of the actual brow. Also, if a woman is excessively hairy, so much so that it makes her look very unattractive and hinders suitors, she is allowed to even neaten her brows (because hers is an exceptional case).

Quote I understand that men and women can be captivated by beauty of ones eyes. so, if someone was born with perfect eyebrows where it looks really neat and well groomed, it's ok, even if their eyebrows look attractive.
but others who weren't blessed with good looking eyebrows have to leave them be?

People come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, skin colors etc. Some are deemed more attractive by society and some are not. Its not just about eye-brows... if one has that mentality, where does one stop? What about hair? Skin? Weight?  Ok, so its not 'fair' that not everybody was created the same physically - but thats life. And as Muslims we believe that Allah in His infinite wisdom created everybody the way they are.

Quote I understand that the purpose of the Hadith is so that we don't alter what we are born with. 'shaping the teeth.' does braces account for that??? and I know my dentist has trimmed my teeth before...why? i never questioned.

Since you are not sure "why" this hadith was saying this, you need to look at the explanation of the Hadith by Scholars. You are not allowed to create artificial spaces in b/w the teeth like the hadith says. I have not heard anywhere that getting braces is haraam. You should take these concerns to a reliable scholar or read-up...

Anyway, getting braces is perfectly fine Islamically. What would NOT be fine is getting gold-teeth or things like that.

Also, I don't know if "altering one's natural state" is the reason for the hadith... because as Muslims we are allowed to do a lot of things that �lter our natural state' like get haircuts, remove body hair, cut our nails, dye our nails, dye our hair - etc etc. There are SOME things that are explicitly prohibited and we stay away from them (like tattoos etc).

Quote And I know women who actually alter their appearance by shaving off the eyebrow and tattooing it completely. this i can see why it's haram, because u r literally changing whats on your face, but shaping your eyebrow is like giving yourself a haircut.....

unless that too is haram...

You sound really frustrated.... I think that as Muslims before we can be comfortable implementing Islamic tenets into our lives, we need to be comfortable with our Deen. I think it would be a good idea to get in touch with the Qur'an, read the explanation, listen to/attend some beneficial talks/lectures etc. If we don't even know why we do/or don't do certain things in Islam, we find it harder.

The issue is not as simple as 'plucking eyebrows" I''m sure even if somebody did say u can pluck, there would be something else that would bother you. That can happen if we aren't really in touch with Allah and the Qur'an. The issue is deeper, not as simple as eye-brows. May Allah help us all implement deen and find it easy.

Anyway: You CAN neaten ur brows by removing the hair above ur nose and trimming hairs with a scissor that stick out. I would still be careful about plucking the brows into a shape, unless you ask a scholar. If this issue is REALLY bringing down your imaan, and thats all you can think about and you are feeling really frustrated, maybe I'm not supposed to say it, but my advise would be - do it then. I mean, if you are not plucking, but thinking all the time about how its so unfair, and why this is so - then there really is no point to not-plucking is there? Because you are not doing it for the right reasons...

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
truebeliever510 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truebeliever510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 8:14pm
I have been having my eyebrows waxed just to make them look neat for many years. I'm glad I read this! I also wear makeup every day, not to attract a man, but because I think it contributes to my overall appearance. I like to look very neat and polished. I am newly reverted to Islam. I believe it is the intent of the makeup that makes the difference. I will however stop having my brows waxed! Unfortunately if I don't get my upper lip waxed, I grow a thick mustache! So I will keep getting that waxed...
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by truebeliever510 truebeliever510 wrote:

Unfortunately if I don't get my upper lip waxed, I grow a thick mustache! So I will keep getting that waxed...

You can thread/wax your upper lips and any sort of body hair. There is no harm in that. Infact if one is married it would actually be encouraged. Its the eye-brows that should not be messed with (the middle part of the eye-brows above nose is still okay).

You can remove any body-hair, anyway you want.
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
joyful85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joyful85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2012 at 6:20pm
While I can understand the reasoning behind this, I still find it rather hilarious.
HalaHala2012 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HalaHala2012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 6:23am
I color mine back to their original color. I do that only because of an illness I had years ago (alhamdulilah,I fully recovered,but was left with completely gray eyebrows!). I'm too lazy to do all that 'plucking' anyway. It hurts! Ouch Smile 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic