IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Plucking Eyebrows = HARAM!  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plucking Eyebrows = HARAM!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2010 at 5:52pm
Its interesting about what you say Martha about the frustration.. 

so it comes back to intentions.. to look neat and tidy but not alluring to men.. Smile

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
dayare View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dayare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2010 at 3:39am

Assalaamu Alikum Sister...

I heard shaping Eyebrows is like enhancing the beauty to look neat and tidy...

pls tell me trimming the eyebrows is permissable or not ?

Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2010 at 6:16am
Originally posted by dayare dayare wrote:

Assalaamu Alikum Sister...

I heard shaping Eyebrows is like enhancing the beauty to look neat and tidy...

pls tell me trimming the eyebrows is permissable or not ?

Wa'alaikum salaam Sis,

Well, the articles above sum it pretty well. If the brows are too thick (a bit on the hairy side) then according to scholars, its okay to trim them to make them look feminine. (since we are supposed to differentiate ourselves from men in our appearance)  As long as we don't "shape" them into thin curves. I think we all know what that means, there are "thin curvy" brows, and then there are "neatly trimmed brows" - which don't even look "made".

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
hastye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hastye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2010 at 7:52pm
What is the difference in plucking a few eyebrows to look "neat and tidy" and to look "feminine"?  You will still be plucking!

If that is done by means of plucking, then it is haram, and indeed it is one of the major sins, because it is the �namas� for which the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed the one who does it. But if it is done by cutting or shaving, then it was regarded as makrooh by some scholars and forbidden by others who regarded it as a kind of �namas�. They said: � �Namas� does not only mean plucking, rather it is a general word which includes all ways of changing the hair for which Allah has not granted permission, if it is on the face.� But what we think is that women should not do that unless the hair of the eyebrows is so thick that it hangs down over the eyes and affects her vision, in which case it is o.k. to remove that which is causing the problem.

Shaykh Ibn �Uthaymeen

Prophet Mohammad (saws) has cursed the women who plucks her eyebrows and the women who do the plucking for another woman.  And Allah (subhanna wa taala) has said in the Quran that we must obey our Prophet (saws).

It is OK for a woman to remove hair on the upper lip, thighs, calves and arms. This is not the same as plucking (eyebrows), which is forbidden. 

�Abd al-�Azeez ibn Baaz, �Abd al-Razzaaq �Afeefi, �Abd-Allaah ibn Ghadyaan, �Abd-Allaah ibn Qa�ood

And Allah knows best.

Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2010 at 1:12am
Originally posted by hastye hastye wrote:

What is the difference in plucking a few eyebrows to look "neat and tidy" and to look "feminine"?  You will still be plucking!

If that is done by means of plucking, then it is haram, and indeed it is one of the major sins, because it is the �namas� for which the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed the one who does it. But if it is done by cutting or shaving, then it was regarded as makrooh by some scholars and forbidden by others who regarded it as a kind of �namas�.

So a Sister whose brows are too bushy (as explained in the articles above) can trim rather than pluck . . . . since some scholars allow it.

Quote But what we think is that women should not do that unless the hair of the eyebrows is so thick that it hangs down over the eyes and affects her vision, in which case it is o.k. to remove that which is causing the problem.

I don't think such cases even exist . . .

And Allah knows best.

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2010 at 9:33am
But what we think is that women should not do that unless the hair of the eyebrows is so thick that it hangs down over the eyes and affects her vision, in which case it is o.k. to remove that which is causing the problem.

Has this ever happened?? I read tons about medical conditions never heard of it..
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2010 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by Hayfa Hayfa wrote:

Salaams,

Thanks Chrysalis.. I will look at mine now Smile

Heheh, although honestly it is more of a headache for middle-eastern or asian women. Since not only is our hair generally darker, but erm, inclined to grow thicker. (Too bad it doesn't always apply to our scalp!). A lot of women can get away without touching their brows at all, since Allah has blessed them with tamer brows Big%20smile

Martha, yes you are right. Sometimes it can get confusing to hear so many views. But then again, it is only foreseeable and well, logical. You cannot have a billion plus population of varying ethnicities, cultures, backgrounds and have one conforming point of view. Think of it as a blessing (infact I think I have heard some scholars speak of it as this way) - that Allah gave us the flexibility to an extent to formulate opinions in matters of deen. Even the sahaba used to have degrees of variability in their opinions. Some like Umar (r.a) took a stricter approach, whereas others like Abu Bakr & Usman (r.a) would take a softer approach. Yet no one was wrong, and they all were right in their approaches - islamically speaking. Smile

Edited by Chrysalis - 19 April 2010 at 11:35pm
Zaheya11 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaheya11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2010 at 11:02pm
I get extremely irate when I see young women wearing hijab, and they have plucked eyebrows as well. Unfortunately, theres not much we can do except try to lead them to the right path. Alhamdullilah, I was blessed with good looking eyebrows, so i dont touch mine. But my mom used to pluck hers until she realized she was committing a sin. So now she bleaches the stray hairs with hair bleach, and its just as effective.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic