IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Plucking Eyebrows = HARAM!  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plucking Eyebrows = HARAM!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hastye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plucking Eyebrows = HARAM!
    Posted: 25 March 2010 at 1:18pm
Asalamu alaikum wa ramatu Allah wa barakatu Ladies,

We all love to look beautiful, but I am so tired of seeing "Muslim" women with plucked/waxed eyebrows who follow the Sunnah

I asked myself, "these women should know it is haram, right?!"  "How can they not know their religion?! This is a big deal!"

So with that said:

Bismillah ArRahman, IrRahim,

It is not permissable, it is haram, to pluck, wax, touch the eyebrows. 

Bukhari (4886) and Muslim (2125) narrated that �Abd-Allah ibn Mas�ood (may Allah be pleased with him) said: May Allah curse the one who does tattoos and the one who has a tattoo done, the one who plucks eyebrows and the one who has her eyebrows plucked, and those who file teeth for the purpose of beautification, changing the creation of Allah.

Sheikh Ibn Jibreen said: �It is not permissible to cut the hair of the eyebrows, or to shave it, reduce it or pluck it, even with the husband�s approval. This is not the matter of beauty, rather it is altering the creation of Allah Who is the Best of creators. A warning has been narrated against doing that and the one who does it is cursed; this implies that it is forbidden.

So, with that said....what do you ladies do to your eyebrows?

I myself just lighten the hair above my arch with a little hair bleach and also a little below the arch.

martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2010 at 4:20pm
Salams,

Well, I am cursed as I pluck mine.

some of us are a lot like cement:- all mixed up and permanently set
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2010 at 6:47pm
I don't look at mine... LOL
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
hastye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hastye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2010 at 8:58pm
Martha you could change that.... Wink

Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2010 at 6:13am
I heard a lecture by Bilal Assad, during the Q & A he received a similar question and said that in arabic, "brows" refers only to the curved part. . . so it is okay to clear out the hair above your nose (where the brows meet i.e. part that causes your "unibrow" ). But it is not allowed to "shape" your brows and make them thin and curvy.

Would post the link of the lecture, but its approx 30-40minutes and the eyebrow question is in the middle of the video somewhere.

Furthermore:

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?cid=1235477843556&pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar%2FFatwaE%2FFatwaEAskTheScholar

"The exception to this rule is if the hair of her eyebrows is excessively long or thick. In this case, some Muslims scholars are of the opinion that it is permissible to trim them as this is enhancing Allah�s creation rather than changing it. Also, it is permissible to remove the hair from between the eyebrows because it is not part of the eyebrows."

and,

"What is prohibited is an-Nams, which denotes removing the hair of the eyebrows by plucking in order to make it thin"

"Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:

There is a difference of opinion among scholars regarding whether one is permitted in Islam to shape or trim one�s eyebrows.

According to a group of scholars, shaping one�s eyebrows is considered forbidden, and they cite the following statement of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him): �Allah has cursed women who tattoo their bodies, wear false hair, those who pluck their eyebrows, and those who artificially widen gaps between their teeth.� They say that shaping the eyebrows or trimming them falls under the same rule

As opposed to the above, other scholars consider shaping eyebrows or trimming them to be permissible. They say that the prohibition in the above hadith specifically refers to plucking eyebrows, and it is prohibited because it is akin to mutilation, and also it is more likely to result in defaming one�s face. As opposed to this, shaping the eyebrows if they are excessively long or thinning them if they are excessively thick, is enhancing Allah�s creation rather than mutilating it. Its analogy, therefore, is to trimming the mustache or cutting hair, and so on, which are not only permissible but may also be recommended.

In light of the above, according to these scholars, it is considered permissible to shape or trim one�s eyebrows if they are excessively long or thick for the purpose of appearing neat and tidy"
"

Edited by Chrysalis - 26 March 2010 at 6:19am
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2010 at 8:31am
Salaams,

Thanks Chrysalis.. I will look at mine now Smile
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
hastye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hastye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2010 at 9:31am
Yes it is permissable to clean the hair between your actual brows.  
martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2010 at 10:54am
"In light of the above, according to these scholars, it is considered permissible to shape or trim one�s eyebrows if they are excessively long or thick for the purpose of appearing neat and tidy"

Oh thats OK then. I don't over pluck so they look thin, and I don't wax or shave them, so I guess I'm OK.

BUt isn't it frustrating to hear so many different views!

some of us are a lot like cement:- all mixed up and permanently set
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic