IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Basics of Islam
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Insurance ..Halal or Haram??!!  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Insurance ..Halal or Haram??!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Insurance ..Halal or Haram??!!
    Posted: 10 April 2010 at 11:29am
Walaikum assalam Haris,

Well...my comment perhaps was not Islamic. FOr Islam says our life is already detailed and set out, though we still have free choice. (I think this is how some would explain it?)

My comment I guess was rather generalised..in that when a person follows their heart and does not ask God for guidance, then life could indeed be seen like a gamble as nothing is set in stone.

Does this help brother? :)

some of us are a lot like cement:- all mixed up and permanently set
haris30432 View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haris30432 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2010 at 4:43am
ANCHORFREE_VERSION="563101449" var _AF2$={'SN':'HSSHIELD00AE','IP':'64.62.196.26','CH':'HSSCNL000076','CT':'11I,b','HST':'','AFH':'hss26','RN':Math.floor(Math.random()*999),'TOP':1};if(parent.location!=document.location||top.location!=document.location){_AF2$.TOP=0}document.write("< ='text/' title='AFc_"+_AF2$.RN+"' >.AFc_body"+_AF2$.RN+"{} .AFc_all"+_AF2$.RN+",a.AFc_all"+_AF2$.RN+":hover,a.AFc_all"+_AF2$.RN+":visited{outline:none;background:transparent;border:none;margin:0;padding:0;top:0;left:0;text-decoration:none;overflow:hidden;display:block;z-index:666999;}"); < title=AFc_370 =text/>.AFc_body370{} .AFc_all370,a.AFc_all370:hover,a.AFc_all370:visited{outline:none;background:transparent;border:none;margin:0;padding:0;top:0;left:0;text-decoration:none;overflow:hidden;display:block;z-index:666999;} < =text/>AFhss_dpnone{display:none;width:0;height:0}
Salam all,

Thank you very much for your comments.Mashallah.. i share the same understanding of Hayfa with regards to Life Insurance.It clearly shows lack of trust in GOD.Plus life insurances in a way has caused many poor people to commit suicide making it look like an accident so that their family receives money.We hear many such stories here in Dubai where people run into a highways and kill themselves.

@ Martha i wud like an elaboration on the below.I couldnt really understand what u meant ..forgive me..:)

Salams haris,

I guess I would say that life in general is a game of chance. People gamble daily with their life...who to marry, what employment to take, where to live etc etc.

Peace!

Edited by haris30432 - 07 April 2010 at 4:44am
ONE GOD ONE SOURCE OF LAW!
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2010 at 6:09pm
The question remains about created wealth out of death. For instance, if I have money I can put it away for my children etc. As I will die, it is only prudent. But if I say put away $30,000 and someone makes a million on my death..  I have as suspicion that it would be haram.

And in fact shows a lack of faith in Allah providing.. which is actually a disease of the heart.  And in fact you are gaining wealth you did not earn. And you thus take a chance if I die a certain way someone received a benefit.
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2010 at 8:23am
Salams haris,

I guess I would say that life in general is a game of chance. People gamble daily with their life...who to marry, what employment to take, where to live etc etc.

Insurance should be seen as sometimes necessary, sometimes to be avoided. As mentioned previously, house insurance, car insurance and so on, are necessary legalities. Life insurance, here in UK at least, is optional.

So, what should we do about life insurance? When asian women marry they have a dowry of gold and nikah, right? ( Well, most do I guess)FOr them this is a form or insurance isn;t it? If the marriage goes wrong then hopefully they have some financial settlement to fall back on. True, the monetary value does not increase, but the amount agreed upon for marriage can be much higher than a life insurance policy. (Also, their wedding gold can be used in time of financial hardship..but that's a different matter)

So, in societies where there are seldom prenuptial agreements, ie western society, people have life insurance instead.

For muslims then, I think, depending on circumstances, a person needs to make his/her choice on how to handle it.
If life insurance is to protect the family after a death, and provided the premiums do not bring financial hardship , then I guess I would take out a policy.
Maybe if the Prophet(pbuh) were here he would tell us exactly what to do. Times change don't they. :)

Apologies for not having read the above posts in great depth. Maybe I am only repeating some things here

some of us are a lot like cement:- all mixed up and permanently set
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haris30432 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2010 at 3:14am
Peace,

I dont see an insurance policy as something equivalent to wearing a seat belt,wearing a winter jacket etc.This is becoz in insurance policies,there is a valid contract,a promise being made by the company,terms and conditions,continuous payment of money(premiums)till the validity of the contract etc.And when a person buys an insurance for example a fire insurance or something like that,the person is actually taking a chance by putting his money on the possibility of an event occurring which may then benefit him by preventing a loss.That is in simple terms,if the event occurs you benefit,if it doesnt you lose.Doesnt that mean that u are taking a chance??Isnt it a game of chance then??

Peace!
semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2010 at 11:47am
Assalamu alaikum,

As far as I know there is shariah compliance insurance called At-Takaful, this system don't have "gambling/uncertainty" component. But we don't have it in the USA.

Here some link talk about it:

Edited by semar - 04 April 2010 at 11:51pm
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
Emin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2010 at 8:39am
Originally posted by haris30432 haris30432 wrote:

Salam,

No doubt that if the law in the country you reside in requires you to take certain insurances like car,house etc ,you can take them and that wouldnt be islamically wrong.Im concerned about insurance where we have a choice.For example medical insurance.There are many arguments against Insurance.Some say it shows a lack of trust in GOD when GOD reminds believers to put trust in him and also that it is a game of chance and some kind of gambling.Which if it is,is a clear no-no according to the Quran (5:90,91).Here is a link of an article which claims that Insurance is a form of gambling.http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~hehner/Insurance&Gambling.pdf.

Well in that case,isnt having a fire alarm in our house a kind of gambling??! Does that mean we shoudlnt have fire alarms ??hmmm...need more opinions and understandings.. Inshallah..

Thank you all for your valuable posts.Looking forward for more.. Inshallah..

Peace!

Insurance(any kind) do not have anything with lack of trust in God. It is same thing that you say I will not tie belt in the car, or tie belt when airplane takes off, or you will say I will drive my car 200km/h God will watch on me, etc.

Yes, God watch on us, because of that He give us insurance, He give us belt, and He give us intellect that we can understand that.

It is ridiculous to say that Insurance is some kind of gambling and than refer to the Quran. You invest your money in insurance that if something happen to you or to your property, you will get money for your loss.
When you take insurance you did not gamble will something happen to you or to your property!

Only thing which is not permitted is exaggeration in Insurance witch you do not need, like million dollars on your voice.

Islam is Right Way i.e. that you find right measure in every part of your life. At the right time at right place.

Selam my brother!Smile

112:1 SAY: "He is the One God:
112:2 "God the Eternal, the Uncaused Cause of All Being.
112:3 "He begets not, and neither is He begotten;
112:4 "and there is nothing that could be compared with Him
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haris30432 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2010 at 2:08am
Salam,

No doubt that if the law in the country you reside in requires you to take certain insurances like car,house etc ,you can take them and that wouldnt be islamically wrong.Im concerned about insurance where we have a choice.For example medical insurance.There are many arguments against Insurance.Some say it shows a lack of trust in GOD when GOD reminds believers to put trust in him and also that it is a game of chance and some kind of gambling.Which if it is,is a clear no-no according to the Quran (5:90,91).Here is a link of an article which claims that Insurance is a form of gambling.http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~hehner/Insurance&Gambling.pdf.

Well in that case,isnt having a fire alarm in our house a kind of gambling??! Does that mean we shoudlnt have fire alarms ??hmmm...need more opinions and understandings.. Inshallah..

Thank you all for your valuable posts.Looking forward for more.. Inshallah..

Peace!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic