IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > General Islamic Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Parent Issues, in need of help.  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parent Issues, in need of help.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Parent Issues, in need of help.
    Posted: 07 March 2010 at 10:44am
I have been considering greatly becoming Muslim.  I recently told my parents about this, though i have been thinking about it for over a year.  My mom said she would like to bring me to a Mosque, and i hope that she will soon.  But my father says what i am doing is dumb, and he thinks I'll never be able to convert, for my personality.  My mom has recently said that she thinks that I, would not be able to.  I really need that support from my parents, yes, i have support from many others, but there's not support like your own parents.  I need help on this, I don't really know what to do, I thank you for your help. Please ask any questions you would like to know.
Full of Hopes View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full of Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2010 at 11:29am

OH dear brother, welcome to the IC.  May Allah help you and open the way for you and your parents into the light of Islam.. I am so so glad for your great intentions and I pray that Allah gives you the strength.

What religion are your parents? What do you by your personality according to Islam? Smile..

I will try to do my best in sha Allah in my free time.
  Take care..

Edited by Full of Hopes - 08 March 2010 at 11:30am
And whoever seeks a religion other than Isl�m, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers(3:85)
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2010 at 12:29pm
Shawn, welcome!  Conversion is a simple utterance, however I assume your parents think you will be unable to faithfully carry out the tenets of your new religion, should you become a Muslim.  You will earn their trust and support as time progresses, so don't let this prevent you from going forward now.  We pray one day you will share with us how they both embraced Islam as well - through your example, God-willing!
Shawn View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2010 at 12:50pm
Jazak Allah. And my parents do not have a certain religion, and my father has stated that he does not believe in God.  My father says i disrespect him, but if i do, i do not mean to, it is simply because i feel as though he does not treat me the way a father should, but i am trying to ignore that and treat him with the most respect regardless.  My mother i treat with respect greatly, for i have known her all my life and she has raised me as a single mother many times.  My real father recently passed away, but my parents were divorced, the father i am speaking of now is my step father. 
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 6:44am
Asalaaam Alaikum Shawn,

Welcome to IC.

it would be wonderful to have your parents support. AND doing your Shahada and becoming a Muslim is about your relationship to Allah, your Creator. Many of us reverts have doubts about our own abilities to integrate Islam into our lives. But you have to open to the door to find out. And its journey of life Shawn. Where you will be in 20-30 years, only Allah knows.

Also, do it for yourself, and yourself alone. I did not tell family or friends for 2 years after I did my Shahada. I am not a "disclosure" type but I also felt it was very personal, in the deepest regions of my heart. Not for anyone or anything.

And your parents having "doubts" is often from a mis-understanding of religion, Islam or most others.

And I take karate, if you do your Shahada, its like you agree to take martial arts classes. It does not mean you are a black belt (or even get to black belt). If you have the basic beliefs then you sign up, study, learn and aim to become closer to your Creator.

Do you live with your parents? How old are you?
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Shawn View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 2:13pm
I'm 14, and i just today went to a mosque.  They said i can return friday, and they will have a Muslim close to my age help me, and translate the arabic for me.  I'm very excited to go friday.
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 6:03pm

Do let us know Shawn after your embrace Islam. Even we are excited to congragulate you on friday
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
Shawn View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 6:52pm

(: the first thing i plan on asking friday is for them to help me say it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic