IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Help me to break astrology belief scientifically  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help me to break astrology belief scientifically

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Starter
Starter
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sheke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 4:26am
islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2010 at 3:20pm
Here is an article summarizing a study which conclusively debunked astrology:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1439101/Astrologers-fail-to-predict-proof-they-are-wrong.html

If this does not persuade your friend, simply point out the sheer vague nonsense that one finds in horoscopes.  For instance, since I was born in December, my "sign" is "Sagittarius" and this is what a horoscope website  said for March 16:

Quote Your outgoing and jovial nature is intensified today, Sagittarius, and so you're probably going to be sought after for any parties or celebrations. Your generosity is also at an all-time high, and will take many forms, which will be appreciated by that special someone in your life. Think about taking your partner with you as you make the social rounds tonight and making him or her the star of the evening

First of all, I can say that I am not that outgoing (perhaps jovial at times), and I also do not go to many parties.  I try to be generous when giving to those less fortunate, but it does not have highs and lows, as the horoscope tries to claim.  Finally, it refers to my "partner".  Apparently, I was unaware that I even had a partner!  This is proof-positive to me of the nonsense of astrology.  The planets and stars have as much influence on us as any other inanimate object, which is zero.       
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2010 at 3:27pm
Lol, I am also a Sagitarius(if we go by such things).
What I understand is that a Sagitarian is half man(woman in my case)and half horse and licensed to poop in the street.
It's a load of baloney..I am(do) neither...contrary to popular belief.

some of us are a lot like cement:- all mixed up and permanently set
Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2010 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by martha martha wrote:

Lol, I am also a Sagitarius(if we go by such things).
What I understand is that a Sagitarian is half man(woman in my case)and half horse and licensed to poop in the street.
It's a load of baloney..I am(do) neither...contrary to popular belief.

LOL
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2010 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by islamispeace islamispeace wrote:

Here is an article summarizing a study which conclusively debunked astrology:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1439101/Astrologers-fail-to-predict-proof-they-are-wrong.html

If this does not persuade your friend, simply point out the sheer vague nonsense that one finds in horoscopes.  For instance, since I was born in December, my "sign" is "Sagittarius" and this is what a horoscope website  said for March 16:

Quote Your outgoing and jovial nature is intensified today, Sagittarius, and so you're probably going to be sought after for any parties or celebrations. Your generosity is also at an all-time high, and will take many forms, which will be appreciated by that special someone in your life. Think about taking your partner with you as you make the social rounds tonight and making him or her the star of the evening

First of all, I can say that I am not that outgoing (perhaps jovial at times), and I also do not go to many parties.  I try to be generous when giving to those less fortunate, but it does not have highs and lows, as the horoscope tries to claim.  Finally, it refers to my "partner".  Apparently, I was unaware that I even had a partner!  This is proof-positive to me of the nonsense of astrology.  The planets and stars have as much influence on us as any other inanimate object, which is zero.       

I am very keen to see the data for the purported study! Why wasn't it referenced?
The generic few liners are teasers for fun, they are not horoscopes by any stretch of the imagination...and anyone reading not for amusement but serious stuff would need a shrink!
So far I am concerned my understanding comes from the Sura 85 The Zodiac Signs...which tells me our universe that includes our solar system is encircled by the 12 signs of the zodiac and Allah swore by it...third sign says that it is the witness and witness of what? The humanity: except those who rise above their Nafs e Ummara...As long as the humans are under their Nafs control so are they  controlled by this monitoring system! If you have enough wisdom and knowledge you can observe how those traits would be found in human behavior! Once the human becomes a master of the Nafs then he/she goes past the influence in Nafs e mutmaina(satisfied soul)
One can study the bios of the famous people whose lives are known to the world there one can see how this system worked! Symbolically speaking you have a big, very big clock... all you need to know is how to read it like time keeper and see what they (people) showing up for work did, when they checked in till checked out!
If a man can design and use all the surveillance, tracking and communication system to watch over friends, foes, good employees and bad ones and criminals... what is such a big deal if Allah has set these monitors over humans and satans?

Edited by Sign*Reader - 17 March 2010 at 8:13pm
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2010 at 7:03pm
Gibbs View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gibbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2010 at 7:07pm
I'm no scientist or anything of that sort but what I can say about astrology is that scientifically speaking, the art or subject or whatever you call astrology is that it's considered a psuedoscience. I believe AK FM explained it great in that astrology is based on what I would call cognitive biases based on predictions not valid according to the scientific method.

Different birth signs like Aries, Leo and the like are based on unchanged constellations but the planetary systems which rotate which astrologers base their opinion on is inconsistent. The problem I have with astrology is purely philosophical one: How are individual personalities predetermined when the planetary systems change?
AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2010 at 8:18pm

Salaam Everyone!

The topic of astrology linking it with Islam and science is an interesting topic that caught my attention. As for as Islam is concerned, the article http://www.islamicity.com/articles/Articles.asp?ref=IC1004-4139 says that as long as astrology is proven to be scientific, it is acceptable, other wise its just nothing. Then the author in the article goes on in trying to link astrology with science. Not to be discourteous to the author, the topic "Astrology as science" doesn't seem to be his best area of research. Hence, this article is not a sound argument in favor of astrology as science.
Now, to come to the factual state, I found several scientific studies that concludingly remark that astrology is not close to science at all. Two of the basic tenants of science are that for any claimed phenomena to be scientific,  it must be "observable" and "repeatable", if same conditions are applied, irrespective who does it. Since this is not true in case of Astrology, hence it is not a science.

The results, the astrologers claim to be correct is simply by chance. Here is one of those several research papers that I came across. http://www.rudolfhsmit.nl/u-case2.htm

Cheers for all.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic