IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reviews - Media > Radio, TV & Film
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Relating to Avatar  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Relating to Avatar

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Relating to Avatar
    Posted: 13 January 2010 at 9:58am
Is it just me, or did you guys also find yourself relating to the Alien-Race (in the movie Avatar) ?

I kept thinking about the Indian Colonization, the war against Muslim lands & the treatment of the Aborigines in Australia . . .

PS: and that "precious metal" thingy that the human army is after in Avatar - at the cost of Alien lives, that seems like a symbolic reference towards Oil & the Muslims !!!

Lol, maybe its just me Embarrassed

Edited by Chrysalis - 13 January 2010 at 10:03am
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2010 at 5:59pm
Haven't seen the movie.  Are you recommending seeing it?
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2010 at 2:35am
Originally posted by abuayisha abuayisha wrote:

Haven't seen the movie.  Are you recommending seeing it?

As'sallamualaikum Abuayisha,

Well, I can't say because all of us seem to have different sensitivities regarding movies etc. (then there is music in there, etc). So I wouldn't take the chance of recommending something at the risk that it may offend a fellow Muslim's sensitivities.  Even if you live in a place where the censor-board seems to do its job.

However, I saw it - and I liked it, (graphics & technology aside), I think the movie was trying to relay a very good message to the public regarding tolerance & the "race-superiority complex". Made me think of what has been happening in history so far, and still is.

Smile

Edited by Chrysalis - 14 January 2010 at 2:35am
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2010 at 7:00am
Just wanted to see how far you'd stick your neck out.  After all caveats mentioned, maybe I'll slip over to IMAX this weekend - insha'Allah.
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2010 at 8:08am
Originally posted by abuayisha abuayisha wrote:

Just wanted to see how far you'd stick your neck out. 

Interesting. So what was your conclusion, how far did I stick my neck out ? (Just curious) Smile
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2010 at 9:50am
Don't worry you're not in any trouble....you said all the right things.Thumbs%20Up
Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2010 at 1:40pm

The debate is on...

Is 'Avatar' Racist?

Edited by Sign*Reader - 16 January 2010 at 11:01pm
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2010 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by Chrysalis Chrysalis wrote:

Is it just me, or did you guys also find yourself relating to the Alien-Race (in the movie Avatar) ?

I kept thinking about the Indian Colonization, the war against Muslim lands & the treatment of the Aborigines in Australia . . .

PS: and that "precious metal" thingy that the human army is after in Avatar - at the cost of Alien lives, that seems like a symbolic reference towards Oil & the Muslims !!!

Lol, maybe its just me Embarrassed

About that rock " unobtainium" they could have coined a new & rather exotic name I would say when they were going to spend so much!
Avatar is in the context of imperialism and biodiversity.
Cameron has acknowledged that Avatar implicitly criticizes America's War in Iraq and the impersonal nature of mechanized warfare in general. In reference to the use of the term "shock and awe" in the film, Cameron stated, "We know what it feels like to launch the missiles. We don't know what it feels like for them to land on our home soil, not in America."

Edited by Sign*Reader - 16 January 2010 at 11:00pm
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic