IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - discussion of cultural differences  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

discussion of cultural differences

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayPB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: discussion of cultural differences
    Posted: 25 July 2005 at 11:12am

Salam sisters,

I am interested in hearing the opinions of sisters who are american and the opinions of those born in middle eastern countries and pretty much raised there as well. There are notable differences in the two communities and a distinct difference in thought, they way I see it.

One such difference I notice is the intrest in family outdoor activities. Americans take pride in the pleasure of group family camping trips, a day at the beach with boogie boarding, hiking for several hours in a beautiful mountain setting, but I have never met any "culturally arab" people in my mosque community who see this as an importand part of child development and family outings. There was one family hike but it only included men and women were not allowed. The women I know say things like "I don't know how to swim or ride a bike" and "I prefer not to go because the sun is too hot". Personally it is very hard for me to accept this as a loss, and I refuse to because it is importand to  have an appreciation of God's nature and develop the life skills in camping. It seems to be more commen to go to a "people" place and eat out or just stroll in the evening. As a constant form of entertainment and "going out" to the movies, promanades ect. I find this superficial and not at all fun. Interested to hear thoughts from both sides of the culture, but all muslims or even some non muslims married to muslims.

Salam maypb

Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2005 at 4:35pm
Maypb I agree with you and I am also in America. Even though My husband is from a Muslim country and I am from here, we both like to hike, swim and go on long walks in the outdoors. We also believe in using environmentally freindly soaps and cleaners. I never use dangerous bug sprays in my house and we are avid recyclers. We also try to buy some organic foods as well. My husband is not very traditional Mashalla and is very adventurous and would never want to take off on a hike and leave me home. We go with our 2 kids. We do have some friends that are the same, but most seem to have some fear or disdain for the outdoors. One of my Arab sister friends is terrified of bugs and has a can of raid that she sprays whenever she sees the smallest insect in her house, I can't imagine her hiking  and seeing a snake or something(I have seen many). It's sad really, I think they are missing out!!!!
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
MayPB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayPB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2005 at 4:43pm

THanks for responding! My husband does appreciate the outdoors to, but I think it's not the same "dream vacation" I could happily be in  a tent with the bugs and dirt. By your post it seems like you have no shortcomings in this area and have your outdoor urges satisfied, how would you suggest making this a priority in my family if my spouse doesn't have the same interest, keep in mind I want to do things together! I agree with using environmentally friendly cleaners and soaps, but I work with a budget so I can't afford to buy all of the natural cleansers and household products I would like. Does it cost more for you?

May

Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2005 at 5:33pm
No I buy them from Trader Joes or on sale from the Natural store and stock up. I make it a priority because I know how dangerous alot of the chemicals we use are especially for kids. As for the out doors, I have thought about renting an old fashioned cabin, some have electricity and water, some don't. But you can cook on the fire and have that rustic feeling of being on the woods. You can hike during the day but come indoors at night. Your husband may like this idea.

P.S. you can make some of your own cleaners at home using stuff like vinegar, lemon juice, ammonia, baking soda ect. Just search online homemade natural cleaning products. I'm sure you can find alot. Also Arm and Hammer laundry soap is pretty good and inexpensive.
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
MayPB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayPB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2005 at 10:33pm

The Avalon Organics soap is 3.49 at T.J.'s and it's great, but Softsoap is usually found at Rite Aid on sale for .99 , Added up over the long run it can make a difference! Besides glycerin is glycerin right? I'm not sure if I could initiate our own camping trip, we are going to the mt.s with my family though, and that should be nice, I am looking forward to it. I did make some of my own natural cleaning products but they don't seem to be very powerful cleaners. When I am out though I can be resourceful!  Are you wearing hijab? Do you go swimming with your kids? in hijab?

May

ummsaleh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummsaleh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2005 at 2:58am
I'm an American in the middle east, The Arabs love the outdoors, camping, long days and nights in the middle of the desert. Big gatherings on the beach. These people over here never stop. Masha�llah
Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2005 at 7:11am
I go swimming with a long sleeve exersize shirt and pants over my swimsuit, however I do not wear Hijab. I have turkish friends who do and wear a special swimsuit from turkey. And glycerin is not glycerin, some is animal some is vegetable. Usually the stuff from rite aid like in soft soap is animal but I'm not sure. Anyway I think we have gotten obsessed with antibacterial stuff in this country and all kinds of disinfectants. All they do is help create superbacteria. Studies have proven they do not keep your family safer and are actually harmful. I'll take the less potent stuff anyday!!!
MayPB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayPB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2005 at 10:45pm

To some extent I agree -- and am a supporter of pro-biotics when at all possible. The information is most likely available as to whether or not the glycerin is animal (probably from pork since it is cheap here in the u.s.) or vegetable. That is worth checking out. The key is making it affordable for everyone and I guess prioritizing, what is worth paying for> I'm not so sure that my individual purchase will help the environment, in the respect to conserving water. I try to limit my individual use, but my conservation efforts (as well as other californians) do little to help because the real water soaker is California's brown rice crops. We produce more than China. The legislature needs to work with farmers on our water conservation to see improvement.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic