IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - discussion of cultural differences  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

discussion of cultural differences

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZamanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2005 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by MayPB MayPB wrote:

Zaman,

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, in your posts you have used phrases which group people by ethnicity and class. "Low class vs. highly educated man with power job"

It was Nausheen, who brought that point. I assumed she is right withe her facts in her post. I didn't say "lower" class. I meant lower middle class on the basis of economic categorization.

[quote]There are several middle eastern muslim men, who go to the US for the temptation of "green card", the security of life and its luxury, traping western women im marriage. There are several cases of sisters reverted to islam  who are either dumped or tortured by their middle eastern muslim husbands.[\quote]

An enemy of an enemy is a fickle friend.
There will be more women in hell than men.
..for persecution is worse than the slaughter of the enemy..(Quran 2:191)
Heaven lies under mother's feet
ZamanH View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZamanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2005 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by MayPB MayPB wrote:

Zaman,

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, in your posts you have used phrases which group people by ethnicity and class. "Low class vs. highly educated man with power job"

It was Nausheen, who brought that point. I assumed she is right withe her facts in her post. I didn't say "lower" class. I meant lower middle class on the basis of economic categorization.

Quote There are several middle eastern muslim men, who go to the US for the temptation of "green card", the security of life and its luxury, traping western women im marriage. There are several cases of sisters reverted to islam  who are either dumped or tortured by their middle eastern muslim husbands.

Edited by ZamanH
aisha View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2005 at 7:23am

i agree that many western women get used by eastern men for a easy ride and passport,but its not the western womens fault in these cases, at least it makes more muslims in the world if they have converted to islam,the men will be held accountable for this on jugdement day if they then treat the wives bad or leave them.

aisha
ZamanH View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZamanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2005 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by aisha aisha wrote:

i agree that many western women get used by eastern men for a easy ride and passport,but its not the western womens fault in these cases, at least it makes more muslims in the world if they have converted to islam,the men will be held accountable for this on jugdement day if they then treat the wives bad or leave them.

Yes, I agree. But "reverting" to Islam, just for the sake of marriage does not make much sense to me.
MayPB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayPB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2005 at 10:41pm

All of the western converts I have met have reverted to Islam before marriage, with their own devices and found their husbands with the help of the masjid. Others have reverted for the sake of their marriage and I would say they haven't really "reverted" yet and really accepted the trueness of faith. You can lead a full life in your home or outside of it while working on a carreer if you choose and be muslim. Being muslim and wearing hijab doesn't mean we can't stop improving ourselves and increasing our education. I have seen too many women in this trap. Stubborn men prevent women from improving themselves. As a muslim we are individually required to study and learn, and I am not talking about divulging in the so-called sciences of religious knowledge. Muslims should strive to become doctors, nurses, moms and wellness experts. Some muslims think that studying is "haram" because the job in the western world would most likely be "haram" So silly! If we don't produce, then the economy will fail, and the people will lose power!

How about faith by action not only words..

This can be gained daily while experiencing good deeds with our neighbors and keeping the Surahs of Quran close to our heart.

Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2005 at 4:18am

Gah, I hate to make a statement when I'm going to lose access for a few weeks.  But, I'm also insulted by Zaman's statements.  I am a non-muslim western woman.  I am not a harlot, nor do I dress like one.  You can asked Jenni, as an endowed Mormon, you never see my knees nor do I wear low hanging collars.  I am often in long skirts, pants and shirts with 3/4 length sleeves.  I might not wear a hijab or cover ankle to wrist, but I certainly don't flaunt myself for others.  I am also committed and faithful to my husband.  As are my friends, we listen to our husband's consel, but sir, men are not always right.  Even the most brilliant man can be wrong.  I do not believe in premarital sex, abortion, homosexuality, smoking, drinking, lewd behavior.  I do not like sex and violence in my movies.  Nor do my friends.  There are many in the West who also do not like these things.  There are organizations trying to change those things and fight against them.  Just as there are those in India who fought against Sati and other such barbaric customs.  For a man to get respect from his wife, he must show respect.  It does not matter what culture he is from or she is from.  And if Southeast Asia is so wonderful, why is it the easiest place to find brothels filled with children?  Children and women are exploited by the thousands there.  The west has its problems, but so does the East. 

Oh, and not able to handle hardships?  You've never had to carry your 300lb husband up and down a flight of stairs ever few hours so that he can relieve himself.  My husband hurt his back at work and I had to take care of EVERYTHING for 6 months.  I dare you to have the strength to work 60 hours a week, rush home during your lunch breaks and see to your invalid spouses needs, rush back to work.  Come home, see to his/her needs again, cook dinner, do laundry, clean the house, help him/her shower and get into bed, get 4 hours of sleep a night and repeat for 6 months.  Not all hardship is poverty.  My grandmother had nothing and they were happy, and I mean no running water, had nothing.  Hardships are not income levels and to say that a lower income person is somehow less is not only arrogant but uncharitable.  You can really tell that YOU (ZamanH) grew up in a society with a Caste system.  And considering from what I've learned about Islam so far, everyone is equal before God.

Angie.....okay, just a little upset....

Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2005 at 6:11am
Angela, Zamanh has is out of touch with reality and likes to bother us women, so I leave him alone and ignore him now. I think he may be about 17, hardly a man. Peace
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2005 at 5:43am

Bismillah,

To the original discussion:  I have known Jordanians, Palestinians and Kuwaities who went on family picnics in the forest and beach who walked, ran, played ball, and rode horses.

I prefer walking and hiking because running is difficult for me.  Swimming is nice if it is not crowded.  Even one single guy is a crowd to me, however!  I would ride horseback montlhly if I had the money.  Last time I rode was about three or four years ago with a group of female friends.

Sisters, I admire your patience in responding to Z.  If he doesn't benefit from your wise posts, someone else will!

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic