IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - discussion of cultural differences  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

discussion of cultural differences

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2005 at 6:10am

Originally posted by aisha aisha wrote:

salaam,have you heard the saying zamanh,when you point remember three fingers pointing back at you.its people like you who make others belive that racisim is good,im from the west born in england,would you like it if i said india is evil,i guess not.there has to be something wrong when a muslim starts to be racist, many of poeple have been saved due to the west and the good thing is isalm can be practised freely. 

I think because some people haven't been to the west, think it is a bad place. Everyone has a different view and some are not listening to others. Its people like us that give a reflection about Islam, the beauty in it. We are here in the west, not to critisize and condemn it, and it is where some people like me live, work, eat,.... supported me more than my county did, and I have so many goals I know that I can accomplish them. I don't have to worry so much about my kids 'cause everything I need I get.

Peace

A thorn defends the rose,harming only those who would steal the blossom
ummsaleh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummsaleh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2005 at 6:26am

Ummziba,

Salam Alaykum sister, First of all mashallah;i love reading your posts, very wise. Alot of Saudi men can't afford Saudi women; not all of them,but there is a high %, I will start a thread soon.

Lost somewhere in the Middle East.
MayPB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayPB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2005 at 11:49am

Zaman,

Salam Alaekom. Are you saying that you don't beleive that a muslim in the West, like America is not able to live a life that is truly pious?

-There are many things here that we pay taxes for which are "haram", for example state laws which allow tax money to be spent on stem-cell research and the ability for minors to have abortions without parent's consent at the expense of the American tax payer. But as a citizen or perm resident in this country we must fight against this (jihad) with diplomacy. We can contact legistlature and ask our senators to not vote for these haram acts. A person in the medical proffession can work from a "pro-life" perspective and refuse to give birth control that destroys life (the IUD) and not perform abortions or help with any of these matters and still be employed, there are several organizations that supports PRO-LIFE physicians and nurses. This is happening all the time. Just because I live here I do not just accept it, I stand up against it by taking advantage of the privaleges I am afforded by living in a democratic country, which is more than I can say for alot of other countries.

Why do you feel sorry for Muslim men who marry Western women, When we marry do we not see clearly that this man or wife is from another culture? Men who are from the other culture who have moved here are retrospectively on "American turf" and will most likely make a life in the West. Their children will be western and must be successful in the western culture not the country their parents came from! If for example the child grows up seeing that the woman's opinions do not have equal importance as her husbands (which is not religious I must add)  Do you feel this is right? then the child will be disabled in their own relationship if society doesn't believe these. Also say a child grows up here and is always awkward dealing with people from the opposite sex, they will have a disadvantage when working and going to college here. So it is importand for the husband or wife who is from another culture to accept the ways of the country. Do you agree with this? In respect to hiking day trips ect. In this country most Americans enjoy past times like fishing and hiking more than shopping.

MAYPB

ZamanH View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZamanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2005 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by MayPB MayPB wrote:

Zaman,

Salam Alaekom. Are you saying that you don't beleive that a muslim in the West, like America is not able to live a life that is truly pious?

MAYPB

I am sceptical. Because most have had a cosy upbringing and won't be able to face much hardships (because they are not trained for it).

Besides, the my first post in this thread was for Muslim men from  those who are highly professionally qualified (who are mostly form South Asia). Most of them will regret that they married a Western women.

As for women who marry lower middle class Muslim men (many of whom are of middle-eastern origin), such women are certainly made of firmer stuff, if they can live with them for few years.
An enemy of an enemy is a fickle friend.
There will be more women in hell than men.
..for persecution is worse than the slaughter of the enemy..(Quran 2:191)
Heaven lies under mother's feet
ZamanH View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZamanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2005 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by aisha aisha wrote:

salaam,have you heard the saying zamanh,when you point remember three fingers pointing back at you.

MUslims are not perfect but they are certainly better than the West. Atleast, they don't stroll around half-naked in streets or have intercourse with each other like animals. NO other group of people, in the world, is hated as much as the Westerners.
I don't usually discriminate on the basis of culture. But I do discriminate against the WEsern culture, as it too much contrary to Islam.

Also, West does not help any one, unless that serves its own interest.

Edited by ZamanH
An enemy of an enemy is a fickle friend.
There will be more women in hell than men.
..for persecution is worse than the slaughter of the enemy..(Quran 2:191)
Heaven lies under mother's feet
J.R. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2005 at 1:56am
Assalamu Alaikum,

I am a hijabi woman. I never walk around in such clothes nor did I dress
that way when I was a non-Muslim. My non-Muslim childhood friends
also do not dress thatt way. You can not categorize all of the west for
what you see on TV, just like the west can not categorize the mid east
bbaed on what they see on TV. Don't be so naive.
Yes, some people do dress in such a way but they in no way effect me
trying to live a pious life as a Muslim. They can dress that way, I still wear
my hijab and there are plenty of Musli women who don't wear hijab but
are still very modest in dress. Open your mind, brother.

Peace,
J.R.
Smile
aisha View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2005 at 1:56am
zaman,yes its the culture thats wrong,i do agree,but what you are saying about western reverts is wrong,i myself am a revert,and i know a lot of muslim revert sisters who came from western culture,do you know how hard it is to be a revert especialy white english revert,the amount of hate from other english people because they think youve betrade them,no you dont,i lift my head to them,islam is not some game its my way of life and i love my husband very much and i would do anything for him,i know the same goes for my friends,if you think we have got it easy here then your wrong,ive seen my husbands family who live in afganistan yes they work hard and one day i will be helping them,with money from the west.
aisha
MayPB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayPB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2005 at 2:45pm

Zaman,

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, in your posts you have used phrases which group people by ethnicity and class. "Low class vs. highly educated man with power job" These are not the phrases of a humbled soul. Perhaps you could spend some time helping the poor in India. When I was Catholic and in high school my class required me to spend several hours per week with homeless children. You really have no idea what life is like in the West. Try tap into Islam by doing more charitable deeds, could you work an extra few hours per week and support a child in need? Is there a children's hospitol nearby that you could volunteer at and lift some spirits, maybe you could read the children stories of the differents prophets? 

Salam Alaekom

MAYPB

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic