IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - discussion of cultural differences  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

discussion of cultural differences

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2005 at 1:07pm
I agree with what you are saying. We have decided that we would rather buy some organic healthy stuff than spend money on alot of other fancy things. I sometimes buy the Natural lavender dishsoap from T.J,s and use it as hand soap, a nice size bottle is only 2.89 Also whole foods has thier own  line of Shampoos, shower gels and lotions that are under 2.49 and contain no Animal products. You just need to look and get creative and get the word out to other people, especially those with children that hey some of these products you are buying are toxic. I think we can influece the market as consumers to change.  peace
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
ZamanH View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZamanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2005 at 10:36pm
I want to post this on Mens' forum. But I will post it here.

Frankly, I feel sorry for Muslim men who marry Western women. I strongly doubt that Western women marry them because of their religion not because of  flashy jobs they have. Western "culture" just does not encourage promiscuity and nudity but also, arrogance among women. Such women are much less likely to be obedient to their husbands. They feel great impatience in serving their mother-in-laws or taking proper care of their children. What do they need thier time for and what other Muslim women miss out on?? They want to go for swimming, hiking and trekking. Soon, even that becomes insufficient, they are so bored, they began to feel the need for one more husband!!!

People form other cultures also convert to Islam and they complain much less. Two of my friends childhood friends reverted to Islam. They were immediately disowned by their family and sacked from their jobs. I know one student who reverted to Islam and is form the state of Gujrat in India. In such places, he will probably be dead, next day, if he tells his parent that he has converted (police will actually protect the killers). Religion is dying in the West, people really don't care who is following which religion. There are exceptions (like Sister Ummziba) but, overall, I think, among non-muslims who revert to Islam, Westerners who "revert" to Islam face the least persecution, are the least religious and whine the most.

Frankly, in general, I consider it highly unlikely marriages between Western women and Muslims men to last more than 10 years.
An enemy of an enemy is a fickle friend.
There will be more women in hell than men.
..for persecution is worse than the slaughter of the enemy..(Quran 2:191)
Heaven lies under mother's feet
ummsaleh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummsaleh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2005 at 10:43pm
Sorry big guy, hate to burst your bubble; I've been married for 15 years Masha�llah. And when I married my Arab husband he was a student and couldn't pay his own bills. Lots of Muslim American women in Saudi,Kuwait and Bahrain. All of my husbands male family members wish to have a Religious American wife, also lots of requests at work.....
Lost somewhere in the Middle East.
Lehua View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lehua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2005 at 11:02pm

Zaman

How dare make assumptions about people you don't even know and make such a bold statement as "I feel sorry for Muslim men who marry Western women".  And then you have the audacity to "consider it highly unlikely marriages betweeen Western women and Muslim men to last more than 10 years".  You know nothing of the trials of western reverts.

Why don't you post this on a non-Muslim site?  It would make more sense.

Try decaf next time.

ummsaleh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummsaleh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2005 at 4:46am
thank you sister-Lehua
Lost somewhere in the Middle East.
J.R. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2005 at 4:56am
zamanH, you know nothing about western reverts.
Smile
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2005 at 6:04am

Assalamu alaikum,

Perhaps my view is biased from living in a country full of marriages that involve "different" people - different cultures, religions, ethnic backgrounds, nationalities, even political views...

Of course the divorce rate is terribly high here, but, the marriages that do last still involve many people of differences.  So, I don't think it is the differences that decide a good marriage - it is the similarities.

It is extremely important for two people comtemplating marriage to thoroughly discuss important issues that will affect their marriage - religion, cultural differences, how to raise the kids, how to handle the money, who does what job, and so forth.  If these things are not worked out before marriage, big trouble can follow.

As well, we need to keep in mind that any marriage is a "work in progress".  The couple must constantly compromise, help each other, discuss matters, be kind to one another, keep up their end of the marriage agreement, and so on.  Really, open lines of communication between husband and wife are vital.

If two people agree to marry (whether out of love, convenience, for religious reasons, or what ever), they must remain committed to making the marriage work through all difficulties - and there are always difficulties, even in a really good marriage.

So, cultural differences (or any other differences), should make no real impact on the success of the marriage if the couple are willing to work together to make their marriage good.  If any differences do make the marriage "fall apart", I would say the couple did not know enough about each other before they married - and that would be their own fault - not the fault of the differences themselves!

All good marriages involve self-sacrifice, compromise, humility and acquiescence.  There is no room for selfishness.  Marriage should be able to work between any man and woman willing to work hard together to make it so.  There is no differences that can hinder this.

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2005 at 6:20am
ZamanH why don't you stay out of here and mind your own business. If a woman is properly dressed thier is nothing wrong with swimming, hiking or camping. What is your problem buddy. You have a serious chip on your shoulder. I have been married for seven years and have two beautiful children. And my husband got to marry someone who understands math, science, physics and religion who doesn't have all the cultural baggage like you in India. Someone who is muslim is Muslim just like you even if they are God forbid African, or even american!!
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic