IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > General Islamic Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Misconceptions,baseless traditions in Muharram  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Misconceptions,baseless traditions in Muharram

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Misconceptions,baseless traditions in Muharram
    Posted: 19 December 2009 at 6:25pm
As Salamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh,

Dear readers, as we are all aware that we are into one of the sanctified month. Ignorant people hold lots of misconceptions and baseless traditions during this month. We will have a look at them and be a responsible muslim and remove such superstitions and beliefs from them, insha Allah

Some Misconceptions and Baseless Traditions :

There are many wrong traditions associated with the Day of Aashooraa and Muharram, which have nothing to do with the Shariah. We have to guard ourselves from falling into these wrong traditions and bidah because this is also sin.

1) Some other people attribute the sanctity of Aashooraa to the martyrdom of Husain, RA. No doubt, the story of Husain, RA is one of the most tragic episodes of our history. Yet, the sanctity of Ashura cannot be ascribed to this event for the simple reason that the sanctity of Ashura was established during the days of the Prophet (pbuh) , much earlier than the birth of his grandson Husain.

2) Some people consider Muharram an evil or unlucky month, for Husain, RA was killed in it. So they dont hold weddings, and other celebrations during this month. This is again a baseless concept, which is contrary to the teachings of the Quran and the Sunnah.

Having superstitions, such as this, is committing a kind of shirk since one associates a particular event or person with having power to harm or do good and only Allah is the One Who has power over all things.

3)Some people think it is Sunnah to prepare a particular type of meal on the 10th, and they hold big gatherings for this purpose. This, again has no basis in the Shareeah.

4) Some people mourn and lament over the death of Hussain RA and hold special ceremonies for this very purpose.

However, the Prophet (pbuh) has forbidden us from holding mourning ceremonies on the death of any person, which was the practice of the people of jahiliyyah (ignorance).

"He is not from our group who slaps his checks, tears his clothes and cries in the manner of the people of jahiliyyah." (Bukhaari)

And if you really think about it, it is the greatest merit and reward that Hussain RA received, when he attained martyrdom for the sake of Allaah.

5) Some people go to the other extreme and dress up and cook special dishes, etc. as a kind of celebration for this Day and that is ALSO against the Quraan and Sunnah.

6) Others hold special prayers or offer sacrifice or visit the graves, specifically on the 10th of Muharram, thinking that there is special reward or meaning for doing so in the Shareeah and this is also a kind of bidah that one should stay away from.

In Conclusion

Our behavior during this month should be like the behavior of the Sahabah, not one of mourning, neither one of celebration.

Rather, we should value Muharram as one of Allaahs sacred months in which we should strive to do good deeds and be extra careful of sinning.

We should try and fast as much as we can in this month, especially the 9th and 10th. We should not be superstitious about it (or for anything else, for that matter) and if someone wants to get married during it, they may.

We should not cook special meals on the 10th and if someone invites us for such a meal, we should not go.

We All LOVE Islam

But We Create Our Own Rules On How To Follow Islam.

Do We Really LIVE Islam ???

Edited by seekshidayath - 19 December 2009 at 6:31pm
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2009 at 3:59am
JazakAllah Khair for the very appropriate Post Seeks ! Thumbs%20Up

BTW - having lived in Pakistan,  like many muslims, for many years I didnt know that Ashura and Muharram had a significance in Shariah relating back to Prophet Muhammad's time !!!! I also used to think that the only "special" thing about Muharram was Hussain (r.a) martyrdom.

So jazakAllah for sharing this. InshAllah  muslims reading this get thier misconception cleared and find out the Shariaee importance of Muharram.

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2009 at 7:15pm
Brother
may Allah reward you for bringing up this topic as many of us may have done this in ignorance.
6:54.....
verily, if any of you did evil in ignorance, and thereafter repented, and amend (his conduct), lo! He is Oft- forgiving, Most Merciful.
Jazakallah.

Hasan

Edited by honeto - 23 December 2009 at 7:17pm
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

wisdomseeker View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wisdomseeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2009 at 3:19am
Assalam alaikum,

To sister Chrysalis, the Prophet(pbuh)and others too fasted on this day in their times, just thought of sharing this:

It was a day on which people of Makkah used to change the covering (kiswah) of the Ka`bah. Quraysh also used to fast on this day. (Al-Bukhari, hadith 1489 and 1760)

After the hijrah when the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) came to Madinah, he found that the Jews of Madinah also used to observe this day with fasting. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) asked them the reason of their fasting on this day. They said, �This is a blessed day. On this day Allah saved the Children of Israel from their enemy (in Egypt) and so Prophet Musa fasted on this day giving thanks to Allah.� The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, �We have more claim to Musa than you.� He fasted on that day and commanded Muslims to fast on this day. (Al-Bukhari, hadith 1865)

May Allah guide us to the right path surely He guides whom He wills.
Full of Hopes View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full of Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2009 at 8:04am

Msahllah!! jazaki Allah Khairn.. VERY good to know about this!!
And whoever seeks a religion other than Isl�m, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers(3:85)
Meditations View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meditations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2009 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by seekshidayath seekshidayath wrote:

We Alykoum AsSalam wa rahmat Allah wa barakatuh

Dear Sistet, thank you for bringing up this topic with such useful information

I would like to comment on some of what you said

5) Some people go to the other extreme and dress up and cook special dishes, etc. as a kind of celebration for this Day and that is ALSO against the Quraan and Sunnah.

There's nothing in Qura'an and Sunnah against remembering special days/events which we were informed about by the Prophet (PBUH), whether this by giving speeches, making gatherings, cooking, inviting people ..etc.

[14:5]..... and remind them of the days of Allah; most surely there are signs in this for every patient, grateful one.

The Prophet (PBUH) didn't forget/abandon/neglect such days, He didn't neglect the day He was born in, and used to fast on it every week, He didn't neglect the day God saved Prophet Musa'a (PBUH )

He (PBUH) didn't forbid celebrating even events that's prior to Islam
Like the story of the two girls who were singing for the day of Bu'aath in His house (PBUH )

We should not cook special meals on the 10th and if someone invites us for such a meal, we should not go.

It's a preferable action to accept someone's invitation in general, and with it coming in a special day, which God showed some of His great signs, it becomes even more preferable to do so.

It is also very preferable to invite people for food when you know they're probably fasting.

For myself, we're inviting my uncle (whom I know he's probably fasting) for breakfast today.

And God knows best

AsSalam Alaykoum
He said : My Lord, Open for me my heart, And make easy my mission , And release the knot of my tongue, So they understand my words . Surat AtTur ( 20 ) : 25-28
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2009 at 12:27am

Originally posted by Meditations Meditations wrote:

We Alykoum AsSalam wa rahmat Allah wa barakatuh

Dear Sistet, thank you for bringing up this topic with such useful information

I would like to comment on some of what you said

There's nothing in Qura'an and Sunnah against remembering special days/events which we were informed about by the Prophet (PBUH), whether this by giving speeches, making gatherings, cooking, inviting people ..etc.

[14:5]..... and remind them of the days of Allah; most surely there are signs in this for every patient, grateful one.

Kindly check this ayah, its not  14:5. I was checking the context.

Can you prove it from sunnah that this day was celebrated as been celebrated these days. You must have read this hadith many a times.

According to the Holy companion Ibn 'Abbas(R.A.) . The Holy Prophet (sallallahu alaiyhi wassallam) , when migrated to Madinah, found that the Jews of Madinah used to fast on the 10th day of Muharram. They said that it was the day on which the Holy Prophet Musa (Moses) (A.S.) and his followers crossed the Red Sea miraculously and the Pharaoh was drowned in its water. On hearing this from the Jews, the Holy Prophet(sallallahu alaiyhi wassallam) ' said, "We are more closely related to Musa than you" and directed the Muslims to fast on the day of ''Ashurah. (Abu Dawood)

It is a great day for us too. As the line of Prophet - "We are more closely related to Musa than you" Why do people then not celebrate with this intention !! rather than to cry over martyred. 

The Prophet (PBUH) didn't forget/abandon/neglect such days, He didn't neglect the day He was born in, and used to fast on it every week, He didn't neglect the day God saved Prophet Musa'a (PBUH )

Yes, brother, but how can i innovate in my religion ? When this day {10th of Muharram} passed many years, in the life of our Prophet & sahabas, and they did not remember this day, as is remembered these days, who are we to introduce inour religion ? Did this ayah, you quoted, not reveal then ?

[/QUOTE]
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2009 at 12:44am
Originally posted by Meditations Meditations wrote:

It's a preferable action to accept someone's invitation in general, and with it coming in a special day, which God showed some of His great signs, it becomes even more preferable to do so.

It is also very preferable to invite people for food when you know they're probably fasting.

For myself, we're inviting my uncle (whom I know he's probably fasting) for breakfast today. {You know he must be fasting, yet you invited him for breakfast, br !Smile}

Brother, inviting guests in general is a good act, but to single out a day and cook special dishes -- all these are innovations in our religion. It has nothing to do with sunnah of our Prophet or sahabas. Every act of ours shud be as prescribed by Allah swt.

These celebrations have become part of aqeedah of muslims. You know, when i asked them {few sunni muslims} the intention behind the fastings of 9th & 10th, they relate it to the incident of martydom of Hussain RA.

In reference to the ayah you quoted, why is then not discussed in gatherings about Musa AS , Nuh AS -- these days are connected to these Prophets as well !

Allah SWT knows the best.

AsSalam Alaykoum
[/QUOTE]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic