IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > General Islamic Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Let the Muslimah be ! ! ! !  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Let the Muslimah be ! ! ! !

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Let the Muslimah be ! ! ! !
    Posted: 15 December 2009 at 12:12pm
If only more Muslim brothers (and sisters) shared similar mentality.

I was going to post this under the Brother's section - but then I realized that some of us Muslimah's sometimes have the same negative (or superior) attitude towards other sister's who don't observe the Hijab for whatever reasons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTHJ4APab9Y&feature=related

(Although Hamza Yusuf was specifically addressing brothers here)

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Saladin View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saladin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2009 at 5:06pm
Yeah, its like the hijab (which has been made synonymous to the head scarf) is the main priority of women. Hijab means "screen" - from everything immodest and immoral; binding on both men and women. Everything we do to preserve our modesty and morality is hijab. Come to think of it, prison once served as hijab for Yusuf (a.s) and he gladly accepted that. But now its made exclusive responsibility of women, while the men screw around in fancy clothes. And if a woman falters, thats great dishonor.

All this overdose of propaganda and obsession with hijab, by both the pro and anti camps, has created a third camp of pervos and sickos preying on and harming women observing the hijab... now there's fire from all sides and not many doing something about it cuz people are too busy enforcing or opposing the hijab. And whats worse - many of those wolves out there are our own ummahites!

In the end, our obsession with the letter of the rule is turning out to be detrimental to the SPIRIT of the rule.

'Trust everyone but not the devil in them'
Saladin View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saladin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2009 at 5:27pm
BTW, what's Hamza Yusuf saying about Umar al Faruq not allowing who? to wear hijab?... I didnt get that but the idea that women back then went around bare breasted is simply wrong, AFAIK. Some or many of the women back then used to wear clothes with low neckline, which exposed the upper part of the bossom and revealed the contour. And it was for that, came Quranic injunction to cover the bossom.

Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2009 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by Saladin Saladin wrote:

binding on both men and women. Everything we do to preserve our modesty and morality is hijab.

Exactly ! Agree with you Saladin. Some bros forget that they have to observe Hijaab too. The double standards some of them have is saddening.

Also, some brothers have this idea of what women should be wearing, and if they don't fulfill their criteria they think its okay to disrespect them or  judge them. Once a colleague in university was getting a bit too friendly, and when I declined to shake hands with him , he said "Why whats wrong with that?" and I replied "because I observe the hijab" - he got miffed and said "Its not like you observe the proper Hijab". You don't wear the Niqaab & Abaya" Ouch. I was astounded.  Won't say anymore about the 'brother's other actions which clearly bypass modesty. According to these brothers - they can get away with anything because they are men - but Oh No! Women should toe the line and stick to their standards.

Things like that can dampen the spirits sometimes.

Quote cuz people are too busy enforcing or opposing the hijab. And whats worse - many of those wolves out there are our own ummahites!

We should take the "middle path" like Allah asked us to in the Qur'an. Like He said Himself, Allah does not like extremists.

Quote BTW, what's Hamza Yusuf saying about Umar al Faruq not allowing who? to wear hijab?...

I didn't get that part either ! even tried listening to it a couple of times. Am curious too.

Did a little googling, this is what Hamza Yusuf actually said:

"In Medina there were women walking around bare breasted! This is a historical fact. There were uncovered women in Medina because the slaves were not allowed to cover!"

Still don't get it though, and didn't come across any site that mentioned this fact apart from Hamza Yusuf.

Edited by Chrysalis - 19 January 2010 at 1:16pm
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Saladin View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saladin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2009 at 4:59am
" he got miffed and said "Its not like you observe the proper Hijab". You don't wear the Niqaab & Abaya" Ouch. " 

Wow... You gave him a piece of your mind?

Edited by Saladin - 17 December 2009 at 5:00am
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2009 at 7:08am
Originally posted by Saladin Saladin wrote:

" he got miffed and said "Its not like you observe the proper Hijab". You don't wear the Niqaab & Abaya" Ouch. " 

Wow... You gave him a piece of your mind?

Honestly I was kind of speechless at first, that someone would actually say that ! So I don't think the "piece of my mind" did justice to how I would have liked to respond ideally. Smile

Edited by Chrysalis - 17 December 2009 at 7:09am
Saladin View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saladin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2009 at 2:10am
Yeah... understandable.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic