IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - It’s all a test  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It’s all a test

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote copenhagen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: It’s all a test
    Posted: 23 July 2005 at 3:21am
Hello,
stealing this comment from another thread.

Originally posted by Community Community wrote:

"Some people before you asked questions and on that account lost their faith" they should have realized everything is a test and the only reality is His reality, to whom all power belongs.

guess the conversation could go two ways.
A) "everything is a test"
B) "His reality"

I feel that A would be a subset of B, but B wouldn't necessarily envelope A. So, I opted to title the thread with the first point :)

So, is it all a test? Is that the purpose for the pain?

Thoughts, comments?
Some people before you asked questions, and on that account lost their faith.
aisha View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2005 at 7:23am

salaam,you know there are many poor and hungrey people out there,i belive allah(swt)is testing us to see if we help these people or not.allah knows what he is doing there is a reason why he does things we may never know why,some things are apparent we know why some things happen,we just have to trust allah(swt). 

aisha
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2005 at 7:58am

Hi Sam,

Muslims do believe that the life of this world is a test/trial.  Here are some Qur'anic verses that point to this:

"Verily, it is We who have created man out of a drop of sperm intermingled, so that We might try him (in his later life): and therefore We made him a being endowed with hearing and sight."  76:2

"And most certainly shall We try you by means of danger, and hunger, and loss of worldly goods, of lives and of (labour's) fruits.  But give glad tidings unto those who are patient in adversity - who, when calamity befalls them, say, "Verily, unto Allah do we belong and, verily, unto Him we shall return."  It is they upon whom their Sustainer's blessings and grace are bestowed, and it is they, they who are on the right path!"  2:155-157

"You shall most certainly be tried in your possessions and in your persons; and indeed you shall hear many hurtful things from those to whom revelation was granted before your time, as well as from those who have come to ascribe divinity to other beings beside Allah.  But if you remain patient in adversity and conscious of Him - this, behold, is something to set one's heart upon."  3:186

"And know ye that your possessions and your progeny are but a trial; and that it is Allah with whom lies your highest reward."  8:28

I hope this is helpful.

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
Lehua View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lehua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2005 at 9:42am

Assalamu alaikum,

Everything in this world is a test and the basic test is our belief in Allah(SWT).  Everything can be brought back to this point.

Example:

Allah(SWT) is the provider of eveything, therefore everything that we have is given to us by Him.  Our test is if we use the things that he has given us in His name.  Do we give charity?  Do we spend Lavishly?  Are we holding on to it to take to our grave?

Everything happens for a reason and Allah(SWT) would never put a burden on a person that they could not handle.  Our test is how do we react when bad things happen in this world?  Ask Allah(SWT) for guidence?  Curse and say 'Why me'?  Thank the Allah(SWT) for the blessings that we have?  Any situation can be turned around depending on the perspective that it is looked at.  Nothing happens that is negative, we just don't know the outcome.

Insallah this has clarified your question.

Peace & Blessings, Lehua

copenhagen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote copenhagen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2005 at 11:14am
Originally posted by aisha aisha wrote:

salaam,you know there are many poor and hungrey people out there,i belive allah(swt)is testing us to see if we help these people or not.allah knows what he is doing there is a reason why he does things we may never know why,some things are apparent we know why some things happen,we just have to trust allah(swt).

wa laikum asalaam (sp? )

the poor, the orphans...
the environment?

da'wah?
memorizing a bit more of the Quran?

How does one define which tests are most relevant? I'd think we could list lots of potential tests, but we really only focus on a couple, at most, at any given stage in life.

If "it" is all a test, just what exactly is the test? How can one pass "the test" if one doesn't know what the test is?
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote copenhagen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2005 at 11:30am
Originally posted by ummziba ummziba wrote:

"And most certainly shall We try you by means of danger, and hunger, and loss of worldly goods, of lives and of (labour's) fruits. But give glad tidings unto those who are patient in adversity - who, when calamity befalls them, say, "Verily, unto Allah do we belong and, verily, unto Him we shall return." It is they upon whom their Sustainer's blessings and grace are bestowed, and it is they, they who are on the right path!" 2:155-157

"You shall most certainly be tried in your possessions and in your persons; and indeed you shall hear many hurtful things from those to whom revelation was granted before your time, as well as from those who have come to ascribe divinity to other beings beside Allah. But if you remain patient in adversity and conscious of Him - this, behold, is something to set one's heart upon." 3:186

"And know ye that your possessions and your progeny are but a trial; and that it is Allah with whom lies your highest reward." 8:28

Hello ummziba,

Yes, those are very well selected ayat.

I pretend to know a lot about christianity, but off hand, can't think of any bible verses Anyone got any regarding life as a test?

Peace,

Sam

Edited by copenhagen
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote copenhagen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2005 at 11:44am
Originally posted by Lehua Lehua wrote:

Assalamu alaikum,
Everything in this world is a test and the basic test is our belief in Allah(SWT). Everything can be brought back to this point.
Example:
Allah(SWT) is the provider of eveything, therefore everything that we have is given to us by Him. Our test is if we use the things that he has given us in His name. Do we give charity? Do we spend Lavishly? Are we holding on to it to take to our grave?

Everything happens for a reason and Allah(SWT) would never put a burden on a person that they could not handle. Our test is how do we react when bad things happen in this world? Ask Allah(SWT) for guidence? Curse and say 'Why me'? Thank the Allah(SWT) for the blessings that we have? Any situation can be turned around depending on the perspective that it is looked at. Nothing happens that is negative, we just don't know the outcome.

wa laikum as-sala'am,

that is a very nicely presented summary.

I think a Christian could copy-and-paste it, replacing the letters A-l-l-a-h-s-w-t with the letters G-o-d.

Peace,

Sam

Meedo View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2005 at 4:29pm

salam

The purpose of life is to worship God . Worshipping means recognizing  him as God and obeying him.

Peace

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic