IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Basics of Islam
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Mutliple Wives  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mutliple Wives

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2005 at 4:19am
he,he,thats right,its the women that gain in the end,just as it should be.
aisha
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2005 at 6:20am

Originally posted by Noah Noah wrote:

Im willing to debate that polygamy is ONLY allowed if there is orphans involved and it is to protect them and their mothers, and for no other purpose at all.

Polygamy existed prior to Islam, and as Islam was the final message to mankind, it sought to regulate pural marriage.

When Ghailan al-Thaqafi accepted Islam, he had ten wives. "Choose four of them and divorce the rest,'' the Prophet (peace be on him) told him (Reported by al-Shafi'i, Ahmad, al-Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah, Ibn Abi Shaybah, al-Darqutni, and Bayhaqi.). Similarly, some men who had eight (Reported by Abu Daoud in his Musnad.) or five wives at the time of embracing Islam were told by the Prophet (peace be on him) to retain only four (Reported by Ahmad, al-Darimi, Ibn Hibban, al-Hakim, and the compilers of Sunan (Abu Daoud, al-Nisai, and Ibn Majah).)

The Prophet (pbuh) did not ask 'which are orphans' and divorce the rest, they were able to choose.  Many times scholars and others give reasons why polygamy is allowed, but these reasons are not legally binding on an individual to take a second, third or fourth wife. 

Edited by abuayisha
MOCKBA View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOCKBA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2005 at 6:38am

Bismillah

Indeed, poligamy existed long before Islam. Islam however, limited the number of wives to four. The key point is that the number was reduced... very contrary to people's perception today.

Although Christians today question rationale behind polygamy, they fail to notice that there is no indication in the Bible that marriage should be strictly limited to one wife only.

Having four wives however is not similar to having four girlfriends. And all the necessary conditions should be met.

MOCKBA
Noah View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2005 at 11:30am
Originally posted by abuayisha abuayisha wrote:

Originally posted by Noah Noah wrote:

Im willing to debate that polygamy is ONLY allowed if there is orphans involved and it is to protect them and their mothers, and for no other purpose at all.

Polygamy existed prior to Islam, and as Islam was the final message to mankind, it sought to regulate pural marriage.

When Ghailan al-Thaqafi accepted Islam, he had ten wives. "Choose four of them and divorce the rest,'' the Prophet (peace be on him) told him (Reported by al-Shafi'i, Ahmad, al-Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah, Ibn Abi Shaybah, al-Darqutni, and Bayhaqi.). Similarly, some men who had eight (Reported by Abu Daoud in his Musnad.) or five wives at the time of embracing Islam were told by the Prophet (peace be on him) to retain only four (Reported by Ahmad, al-Darimi, Ibn Hibban, al-Hakim, and the compilers of Sunan (Abu Daoud, al-Nisai, and Ibn Majah).)

The Prophet (pbuh) did not ask 'which are orphans' and divorce the rest, they were able to choose.  Many times scholars and others give reasons why polygamy is allowed, but these reasons are not legally binding on an individual to take a second, third or fouth wife. 

Let me get this streight. Our mercyful messenger asked the men to toss out havlf their wifes? to what? I dont buy it for a minute.
Im well aware that polygamy was practiced widely, and still is all over the world today in various ways and societys, but that is hardly a carte blanche to polygamy on its own, that the number got limited. Because look at the QURAN verses, isnt it clear that not only where they limited, they altso got a clausul on them?
People  practiced human sacrifice before the arrival of Quran.  so...is that ok to if i only sacrifice a little?
Im sorry but i trust God more than  al-Shafi'i

Peace
Noah
AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2005 at 6:35pm

Bro Noah,

You are right there is a very strong caution for marrying more than one, but again, remember Islam is not just for one place and for a one moment of history. Think of its general applicability in all spatial as well as temporal dimensions. Hopefully, you shall find your answer this way.

Indeed Allah knows the best.

Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2005 at 8:37pm
I think men who need to marry more than one woman to satisfy thier lust are really weak. And if you marry a good woman and later marry a second to have sex with someone new you will be held accountable for wronging your first wife. I know 3 brothers from Lybia who's father married a second wife when they were teenagers because he wanted to have another virgin and he eventually stopped coming around and left them. Those boys now men hate thier father and want nothing to do with him. Why are so many men so ignorant on this issue. If you want to marry a sister just for fun, while it lasts you better tell her, otherwise you are a Liar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And you have stolen her chastisty for your temporary lust. The prophet peace be upon him took care of all of his wives and did not leave one for another. And how many of you can love and care for more than one woman, your children, providing them seperate houses and all of thier needs including healthcare ect. I mean come on brothers how clueless are you.YOU WILL BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR MISTREATING YOUR WIVES!!!
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
Noah View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2005 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by AhmadJoyia AhmadJoyia wrote:

Bro Noah,

You are right there is a very strong caution for marrying more than one, but again, remember Islam is not just for one place and for a one moment of history. Think of its general applicability in all spatial as well as temporal dimensions. Hopefully, you shall find your answer this way.

Indeed Allah knows the best.

Peace bro
I fully agree with this. The Quran limited a behaviour that was back then, in no uncertain terms. And further more noted that from that point on, if people was to marry more than one, it should be for the protection of orphans and their mothers, as shown in my last post.

sister Jenni calm down now. anger produces toxins in your body that are unhealthy, no need to make yourself ill over it ;)

Peace
noah

Edited by Noah
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2005 at 9:02pm

Originally posted by Jenni Jenni wrote:

Why are so many men so ignorant on this issue. If you want to marry a sister just for fun,

Good admonition Jenni, and men should indeed think deeply about their wife and children prior to entering another marriage, however, certainly we don�t want men having affairs, thus committing a major sin, which if discovered by his wife, would likely hurt even worse.   

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic