IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Islamic Arts & Literatures
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Trying to translate antique Arabic caligraphy  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trying to translate antique Arabic caligraphy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atlantia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trying to translate antique Arabic caligraphy
    Posted: 18 November 2009 at 2:10pm
Hi everyone.

I'm hoping someone will be able to help me. I have an old Egyptian bronze plate which has been with me for many years, and I have been trying to find help with translating the caligraphy. Below are some pictures, if anyone has any ideas I'd be very greatful.

Thank you.

Its hard to photograph, so I've altered the close up to show all of the panels with highlighted caligraphy.

Here is a portion of the plate just photographed normally.

Edited by Atlantia - 20 November 2009 at 10:20am
Saladin View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saladin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2009 at 9:52am
Sorry, no idea. Perhaps the Arabic knowers here can help.
'Trust everyone but not the devil in them'
Full of Hopes View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full of Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2009 at 4:43am

Asslamu Alaikum

These are some of Allah 99names as I can see and Allah knows the best. I could read: Allah, Al-Ahad, Al-samad, Al- Adheem. They are very beautiful, masha' Allah. Are they on a vase or what?
And whoever seeks a religion other than Isl�m, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers(3:85)
Atlantia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atlantia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2009 at 6:11am
Originally posted by Saladin Saladin wrote:

Sorry, no idea. Perhaps the Arabic knowers here can help.
Thank you Saladin, I have added 'arabic' to the title to try and attract them.
Smile
Atlantia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atlantia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2009 at 7:15am
Originally posted by Full of Hopes Full of Hopes wrote:

Asslamu Alaikum

These are some of Allah 99names as I can see and Allah knows the best. I could read: Allah, Al-Ahad, Al-samad, Al- Adheem. They are very beautiful, masha' Allah. Are they on a vase or what?

Hi 'Full of Hopes'

Thank you for helping. This is a plate, made of bronze 34cm/ 13.5 inches across.
It is difficult to photgraph because it is shiny and the detail is very fine.
I have owned it for quite a while, and have always loved its beautiful workmanship. It probobly dates to around the mid 19th century. It is on display in my home.
There are six panels with caligraphy in them.
Does each panel have one name in and nothing else? I had assumed that they each contained a sentence or short passage.
Thank you very much for helping.

Kind Regards
Gene

Edited by Atlantia - 21 November 2009 at 7:16am
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full of Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2009 at 6:03am

WOW. This is fantastic.

but it tires the eyes to gaze at it for a long time because it is on the computer.  I will try to print it and read it again. From the computer I told you I see Allah 99names. But as you said, they can be fixed to a passage. Just be more patient with us. I like the arts so much and that one is really nice.
And whoever seeks a religion other than Isl�m, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers(3:85)
Atlantia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atlantia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Full of Hopes Full of Hopes wrote:

WOW. This is fantastic.

but it tires the eyes to gaze at it for a long time because it is on the computer.  I will try to print it and read it again. From the computer I told you I see Allah 99names. But as you said, they can be fixed to a passage. Just be more patient with us. I like the arts so much and that one is really nice.

Thank you very much, it is very kind of you to help. I will be patient.
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full of Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2009 at 8:03am

Asslamu Alaikum

I am sorry brother, I tried my best to see a passage but I saw just Allah 99 names. I saw more names like: Dhul Jalal. Al- Mutaal, Addayan.

What makes me almost sure it is not  averse in Quraan is, that I saw Allah's name: Al-Samad, and this name's mentioned just once in Quraan in Suaart Ikhlas, and that passage is not suraa Ikhlas.

Anyway, I will keep trying and show this to an expert in Arabic calligraphy, if I have a chance.
  I wanted to reply now just because I told you to wait for me..

BTW, that plate is very beautiful, masha' Allah. Smile

Edited by Full of Hopes - 04 December 2009 at 8:05am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic