IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > General Islamic Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Islamic Dress In the House  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Islamic Dress In the House

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Starter
Starter

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leigha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Islamic Dress In the House
    Posted: 15 November 2009 at 7:14pm
Asalaam Alakium, I am here and not sure this is the right place but I wanted to ask a question. I have a teenage daughter who is 13 about to be 14 years old. She is at puberty. My question is when she is in the house only around her family no one else is she allowed to wear things like tank tops, capri's, shorts, as long as it is appropriate? I have been muslim 10 years and i have always been able around my family to do this but because my husband thinks that because she is at puberty she has to dress modestly ALL the time does not sound right to me. Can someone please tell me or show me where in quran or hadith were it says what she is allowed to wear in the house around her family and what she is not.

Inshallah this can be solved because it is a huge issue and i really do not think that this is how Allah meant for women to dress. If that is the case then that means when i am at home relaxing then i have to wear hijab and dress as if i were outside.

Thank you and inshallah may Allah continue to bless you for having this great place for us to come and gain knowledge. 
martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2009 at 3:04pm
Walaikum asalaam sister,
I think what struck me first, and please correct me if I am mistaken, but is your daughter also your husbands? As you have been muslim 10yrs and your daughter is almost 14yrs I am wondering if this is the situation.
If this is the case then I would definately understand why your husband would say she must dress modestly. I gather your daughter is not muslim then?
Are you happy to answer this question? I don't think I personally can give you the right advice without knowing a bit more. Other sisters might be able to.
Good to have you in the forum :)
some of us are a lot like cement:- all mixed up and permanently set
leigha View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leigha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2009 at 8:01pm
That is true my husband is not her father but he is the only father she knows. She is muslim but the conflict comes when our 9 year old son wants to walk around the house in tank tops and while in the house she is told she cannot. She wants to just around the house when it is only family and no visitors wear tank tops as well.it is hard because she does not understand why she cannot wear whatever she wants when she is in the house and he can. i have explained to her that i do not dress that way and that young women should dress as young women but it has no effect on her. it actually as she is getting older seems that the more and more taleem that we are doing and islamic teachings because i homeschool them the further and further she wants away from islam she is already having a hard time wearing hijab and hates it she has gotten to the point that when we make her and i mean force her to leave the house she cries because she doesnt want to go outside with hijab on. she has told me that she deals with when we go out but while in the house she thinks its unfair and that she is starting to hate islam if she has to dress like this in the house.

Hope this helps.
martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2009 at 2:49am
Salams,
It must be confusing for your daughter. She is at an impressionable age, and I am wondering if she is getting bullied from her non-muslim peers?
Does she go to a muslim school?
Kids feel safe in the home. As she cries when told to put the hijab on to go outside I think she wants some freedom indoors. I feel sure it goes far deeper than being an Islamic issue for her.
Try to console her. Be patient. Ask your son to dress more appropriately in the home. I understand it is different for boys regarding dress. Does your husband wear shorts in the home? If so then perhaps he needs to understand that your daughter feels 'got at' by being told to cover. Especially if there are forces at work outside the home to.
Also, her hormones are all over the place at her age. ANd certainly however you handle this situation could have lasting effects on her. She might say she is starting to hate Islam, but I think its about her more having some freedom to choose rather than it being religion based.
SO for now, try to explain to your husband more. I hope he is an understanding man and father. I am sure you can resolve this without it becoming too much of an issue
Good luck.Let us know how you get on. Always here to help :)
Martha
some of us are a lot like cement:- all mixed up and permanently set
leigha View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leigha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2009 at 5:26am
salam, no my children are homeschooled so she says she is always having to cover and that she doesnt agree with hijab. i will take your advice and inshallah it will get better 
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2009 at 10:45am
If the father pointed this puberty fact out - then I think it would be better for the daughter to wear more modest clothes. Obviousley he noticed/observed it as inappropriate. Although Fathers and Brothers are our Mahrams - it is just as important for female members to dress within the realms of dignity so our borthers and fathers don't have to feel awkward. True, we can act/dressed relaxed around them - but modesty/haya still plays an important part. They shouldnt have to see something that they feel awkward about.

The fact that he is not a biological father, makes it more important.

If your daughter is not liking the "you have to because of Islam" approach - use a different one. Stress that it is not lady-like or dignified to dress inappropriately. . . like Martha said, the brother shud also be put into the same category of dressing dignified (shorts etc). Ofcourse you need to explain the obvious fact that men and women have different "auraah" . . . without having to "hammer" Islam into her. Even in the west, a shirtless man will not raise brows - but a shirtless female will . . . its not something Islam is enforcing upon us . . . its based on natural human tendencies and decency.

Ofcourse - an important question is what "Dressing Modestly" within the four walls of your home means . . .  whats acceptable to you and the family. In most muslim households who observe some sort of Hijab - women will usually not wear sleeveless, or reveal legs, even in front of brothers and fathers.

As long as she is not exposing her "figure" . . . most ppl would say its ok whatever she wears . . . You could try leaving Islam out of it and talk generally abt acceptable family values/modesty. If you focus too much on Islam - she will simply resent islam and blame it for her restrictions. . . like she is doing now.
 Goodluck.

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
leigha View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leigha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2009 at 12:09pm
True that is why I am asking for what quran and sunnah say about this matter because my husband is refusing to make our son dress more modestly stating quran says he doesnt have to. I just wanted what Allah says and the prophet says about this matter because if the hadith say for us to dress modest then modest according to islam is covering everything except face, hands, and feet. I as an adult would have a problem with that as well. I have no problem and love wearing hijab but in my own home when no visitors are here does seem a bit much and i can understand my daughters point of view.

The other thing is that yes men and women or boys and girls do have different requirements in islam on how to dress but we are not suppose to put our own opinion in it and only go off what quran and sunnah tell us. I cannot explain to her that young women whom dress more modest are better people when what she is wearing in her eyes and in my eyes is modest and only to my husband it is not. But with my husband he is not the type of father that likes being around teenage girls and does not understand that they have their own mind, thoughts, and feelings. He wants her to be covered because "she is a girl and she is in puberty and that is what allah says" is what he tells me daily. It has already turned into a huge and I mean a HUGE thing where my family is arguing over this on a daily basis and i am truly getting tired of it.

I have been praying and making dua about this and the only thing that i can understand is that in my view she is fine but in his he is punishing her for being a girl and being a puberty and to me it is wrong.

Thank you and inshallah may allah have mercy on us all
SteppeNomad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteppeNomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2009 at 9:08am
Leigha: But with my husband he is not the type of father that likes being around teenage girls and does not understand that they have their own mind, thoughts, and feelings. He wants her to be covered because "she is a girl and she is in puberty and that is what allah says" is what he tells me daily

No offence, but you husband sounds like a loser.

Looks like its got less to do with what Allah says but more to do with him being messed up.

Thats my advice.

Ya Allah, Bismillah, AllahuAkbar.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic