IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > General Islamic Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Islamic Dress In the House  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Islamic Dress In the House

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saladin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2009 at 4:58am

Boys and girls have to be modest whether at home or outside, whether in the presence of mahram or stranger; only the levels of clothing vary slightly. There're rules in Islam and they're there for good reasons but there's no point imposing the rules on anyone who dont get the spirit of the rules. Instead of complicating this simple issue, infusing the kids with the spirit of Islam and self esteem would do good.

'Trust everyone but not the devil in them'
martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2009 at 5:37am
'I have no problem and love wearing hijab but in my own home when no visitors are here does seem a bit much and i can understand my daughters point of view. '

Salams,
Wearing hijab in the home is not necessary in front of your husband. Is this what he is requiring her to do? And you also?
He does seem to be rather strict if this is the case. Hadiths tell us to dress modestly and I believe we should not follow western dress if it is immodest.
HOWEVER, I agree with Saladin that it is better to not be so rigid with her if she doesn't yet understand.
YOur husband, in my opinion, needs to relax a bit as there is a huge chance she will reject Islam and her father altogether at some point in the future. It does seem to be more about what he wants here.But I appreciate you are stuck in the middle and want to do what's right. Maybe a talk with your local Imam? As nothing seems to be working? I am sure he will guide you all in this matter.
some of us are a lot like cement:- all mixed up and permanently set
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2009 at 6:30am
Actually yes, it doesn't make sense at all to wear a Hijab at home, in front of Mahrams !

It really is a complicated situation. Confused  If your husband is disagreeable, I just hope the daughter is much more sensible and mature - and she understands your position on the matter.

All I can think of to solve the issue is, Maybe you should just take her into confidence, and ask her to go along with dressing a bit more modestly - in order to keep the peace of the house. You'll just have to find a balance. . .

Brothers who are reading - please be more understanding/cooperative husbands/fathers when its your turn! Confused

Edited by Chrysalis - 19 November 2009 at 6:36am
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Saladin View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saladin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2009 at 9:28am
Well if he wants her to be hijabed even at home, thats way too much. If its just that he wants her to cover her awra, cant fault him for that. Tank tops and shorts dont do a good job.

'Trust everyone but not the devil in them'
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2009 at 9:32am
Asalaam alaikum,

i think that, as mentioned, if the son can practically do what he likes and she cannot, any woman would find that irritating. When living in Pakistan I saw NO naked people in general. The only men who wore shorts were the sports -soccer players.   Everyone dressed modestly in and out probably cause visitors arrived at any point.  The climate should be Islamic.. why should anyone be 3/4  or 1/2 naked??  The climate should be modest.

I also can see where you can enforce rules inside the home. But anyone who thinks they can force a woman wear hijab outside of the home in the west is asking for BIG trouble.  People make hijab to be a 6th pillar.. and its not.  And yes your husband is technically correct...  but we need to be gentle with people. hijab should be  the choice of the woman. Your daughter is considered a woman. Are the clothes tight? I can wear really loose clothes at home and its not seen as 'sexy.' And you can see a woman outside the home "completely' covered and it is definitely sexy and will draw the eye.  And if she is forced to wear hijab not only will she resent it, she is not doing for the right reasons - to please Allah. And it ALWAYS amazes me when men have NO comprehension about how hard it can be for women to wear hijab in this society. And you know, it should be between her and Allah.

Maybe he could agree to a compromise... as Chrysalis sugguested..

Edited by Hayfa - 19 November 2009 at 9:32am
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Full of Hopes View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full of Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2009 at 10:43am

Asslamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatu Allah

well sister, first welcome to the IslamiCity Forum. Then, I should say I feel so much respect for you cause from the beginning you said, you want what Allah said and Sunnah.
  I am not a scholar just Keep waiting for a reply with those proofs and explanation for you case from Quraan and Sunnah . And I believe you already know enough of feelings and how Hijab can be hard for some people, because you are a convert in the US and you understand the whole thing. What you  really need to know is from a scholar or a knowledgeable person what to do in this case? What is auraa at home exactly? what is it in front of the father and brothers?
   Then, be so kind, gentle and understanding with your daughter to let her obey Allah. She is still young to be left between her and Allah. You are her mum and you should teach her that and educate her about Islam. SO the first step, know what Allah wants from you. Second, make duaa that Allah makes is easy for you to obey Him. Then, try your best to obey Allah for his sake not to please your hubby or anyone else. Just make sure of your intention to please Allah and obey Him and everything will be Ok. She will do what pleases Alalh and even love it, insha' Alalh. Talk to her a lot about the good rewards, the paradise. Talk to her about Allah's blessings on her and on every human being. You do not need to warn as you really need to make her love what pleases Allah. It is not hard, you can do it even with children. Just know the way..
 May Allah bless you and make it easy for you.
 Peace.

Edited by Full of Hopes - 19 November 2009 at 10:51am
And whoever seeks a religion other than Isl�m, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers(3:85)
leigha View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leigha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2009 at 11:44am
Thank you sisters ever so much. I believe that you are all right. I am going to keeping asking Allah to guide me in this and teach her what Allah wants her to do the main thing is that I want her to do what Allah wants her to do not what others want her to do. If she loves Allah and obeys him then she is doing right.

Inshallah this will all be easy for all of us.
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2009 at 7:15am
As Salamu Alaikum

I pray Sis Leigha that Allah swt eases this tension of yours. Hope that you shall deal with your daughter softly. Its not easy to deal with girls of such age.

Also convey her that all the sisters here conveyed salaam to her.
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic