IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Mecca Super-Hotel  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mecca Super-Hotel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mecca Super-Hotel
    Posted: 06 November 2009 at 9:41am
Mecca%20super-hotel%20

An artist's impression of the proposed super-hotel in Mecca. Photograph: Raffles Hotels and Resorts

The pilgrimage to Mecca has always involved hardship and sacrifice, whether months spent travelling on foot through barren valleys and sleeping in the open with no shelter from the elements or stripping oneself of earthly trappings. But help is at hand for the pilgrim who cannot bear to be without comfort while executing the fifth pillar of Islam.

Raffles, which gave thirsty wanderers the Singapore Sling, is opening a luxury hotel in Mecca offering pilgrims a coffee sommelier, a chocolate room where chefs will prepare bespoke pralines and truffles, and a 24-hour butler service.

Undeterred by restrictions on beautifying oneself during the Hajj, the hotel will also have segregated gyms, beauty parlours, grooming salons and a spa.

There are strict rules regarding personal hygiene and behaviour during the hajj, and forbidden activities include sex, the cutting of hair and nails and the trimming of beards. These bars are lifted once certain rituals are complete, but Muslims are generally expected to forget worldly thoughts and activities and focus on the divine.

Mohammed Arkobi, the general manager of the new hotel, did not explain how a chocolate room and spa would help pilgrims achieve spiritual fulfilment. Nor was he able to comment on how the amenities complied with the ethos of the hajj, which is about simplicity and humility.

But he did say that the "comprehensive range of services" were designed to meet the needs of the "discerning" travellers they were targeting.

"Ultimately, the hotel's sophisticated ambience, our range of features and highly personalised service delivery such as those offered through our 24-hour butler service will help to ensure that our residents' overall experience will be enriching."

Arkobi said the hotel was a three-minute walk away from the Grand Mosque, the Masjid al-Haram, and that a "spacious outdoor dining terrace" would provide direct views of it.

It is being developed by the Saudi Binladin Company, one of the largest construction firms in the Arab world, which has also been responsible for overseeing the expansion of the holy mosques in Mecca and Medina. The company was set up by Mohammed bin Laden, father of Osama, although the family is now estranged from its most infamous son.

Around 4 million people visit Mecca for hajj, with millions more passing through the rest of the year to perform the lesser pilgrimage. Estimates for future numbers vary wildly � from 10 million to 20 million � and the landscape of Mecca has undergone a dramatic transformation over the decades to cope with demand. Homes have been bulldozed, mountains flattened and historic sites razed to provide more hotel rooms and amenities.

One development that will dominate the skyline and the Grand Mosque is the Makkah Royal Clock Tower, operated by international hoteliers Fairmont, which is majority owned by a company chaired by HRH Prince Alwaleed bin Talal bin Abdulaziz Alsaud, the Saudi king's nephew.

The tower will be among the tallest in the world, 577 metres (1,893ft) high on completion, and its dimensions, including a clockface measuring 40 metres across that will be visible 10 miles away, make it five times larger than Big Ben.

In addition to 1,005 guest rooms, the tower will also house a lunar observation centre and Islamic museum. It lies in the massive Abraj Al Bait complex, part of the King Abdul Aziz endowment project aimed at upgrading the precincts of Mecca and Medina.

Mecca's makeover is alarming international activists, such as Ali al-Ahmed, the director of the Washington-based Institute for Gulf Affairs, a thinktank analysing events and issues in the region. Ahmed, an outspoken critic of the Saudi regime, said many factors were driving the changes.

"The al-Sauds want to make Mecca like Dubai, it is a money-making operation. They destroy ancient buildings because they do not want any history other than their own, they see it as competition. They destroy and dispose of artefacts."

He also expressed concern that the arrival of luxury brands would increase the price of a pilgrimage. A 2009 platinum Hajj package from a UK tour operator costs �6,400 for 16 nights full board, based on double occupancy.

"By developing Mecca in this way they are making it inaccessible and unaffordable for the majority of Muslims. It will only be for the elite," Ahmed said.

The city's increasing westernisation was a "perversion of the religion", encouraging activities that were at odds with the spirit of the hajj, he said.

"The Saudis may come across as austere but members of the ruling class have billions of dollars between them � even the muftis live in palaces with chandeliers."

Development of the holy cities of Mecca and Medina should not come at the expense of religious practice, he said, before turning his attention to the lack of protest from Muslims around the world.

"Let's take Jerusalem as an example. Muslims are outraged when Israelis do something in the Old City, but in Mecca things are being systematically destroyed and nobody is raising an eyebrow. It is a catastrophe."

Raffles Mecca is due to open in April 2010.

martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2009 at 12:54pm
Well, I am raising my eyebrows. This is a ridiculous waste of money. What about feeding the poor pilgrams in Mecca? And how about distributing wealth amongst those that can never afford to do the hajj in the first place?
This is completely against how the Prophet(pbuH) wanted us to behave. NO wonder he was sad before he died, when he knew Islam would not be the same again. Actually I will go as far as to say what an insult it is to the Prophet(pbuH)

Anyone with me on this?
some of us are a lot like cement:- all mixed up and permanently set
SteppeNomad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteppeNomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2009 at 1:32pm
You shouldnt question the oil shaykhs and there motives, they for the Salaaa----fiiii way, if they aint issued a fatwa saying its bidah,  harram  or shirk etc then its not a problem we must understand and follow or we are grave worshippers.

Next they will try to build over the Sahaba ra graves and people will still say, "brothers we should reform ourselves first", "masallah they follow """shariah""", "at least they dont gamble, drink and wine with thy mistress on the road" < being sarcastic, just incase anyone thinks im seriouse.

Edited by SteppeNomad - 07 November 2009 at 9:37am
Nur_Ilahi View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nur_Ilahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2009 at 4:07pm
It just shows that the Saudi Government is fully controlled by the Evil-Dajjal-Worshipping Zionists. Their thoughts are mainly $$$$$$. The non-Musims are not allowed to enter Makkah, but their westernised ideas yes. Trying to stray the minds of the pilgrims away from God but instead indulging in the comfort of dunya.

I would like to relate my experience when I went to Hajj in year 2000. We were staying in Makkah Hilton and since that was my first time staying in a 5 star hotel, it was very ....Wow!

The food there was first class. And that was the main reason why I did not really like it. At first I indulged in the luxurious food until at one time, I felt very lazy to perform the extra ibadah like tawaf sunnah. Compared to those majority of the Indonesians who stayed very far from Masjidil Haram and staying most of the time in the Mosque from Zohr till Ishak performing the ibadah like reciting  the Quran and tawaf sunnah.

These comforts of dunya would make us forget our purpose to be there in the first place. Instead of staying more often in the masjid for ibadah, some maybe would prefer to stay in the comfort of the air-con rooms.

But Allah is Al-Aleem - Most Knowing. Those who strive in the path of Allah with sincerity will get more rewards from HIm.

Ilahi Anta Maksudi, Wa Redhaka Mathlubi - Oh Allah, You are my destination, Your Pleasure is my Intention.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2009 at 4:57pm
Well, give me the Makkah Hilton any day of the week.Thumbs%20Up
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2009 at 5:04pm
Quote But help is at hand for the pilgrim who cannot bear to be without comfort while executing the fifth pillar of Islam.

sure but what about the poor average person down the street who would like to stay but can't afford???
What is the price in staying in this hotel? being 5 star well that is usually a tip its expensive as usually 5 star hotels are Tongue

Quote but Muslims are generally expected to forget worldly thoughts and activities and focus on the divine.

well................yes...........but, if you've never stayed in such a place before with all the luxury and all the trimmings that is on offer....................... Wink

And having this tall monster of a building overshadowing everything.............its hard not to look up and wonder about staying in such as place.........Wink

arrhh........you'll have to forgive me I've got this thing at the moment about buildings getting built but the average working person can't afford, there's a lot of infrustracture and accommadation/houses, apartments going up but the poor average worker cannot afford..ok so its close to the city but still shouldn't ALL people be able to have a choice in this and not just the higher wage earner???
Angry gets me going at times

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2009 at 7:41pm
Would surely resurrect theme of the Tower of Babel...It is recorded in the scriptures about what happened after that ...These ignorant and fat agents of  mammon worshipers would not learn any lesson...The plan does have a resemblance to that tower...

Saddam also wasted tons of money and tried to resurrect the heritage of Nebuchadnezzar in Iraq and see where does that country stand today!

Then you wonder about the Bin Ladins!   

Edited by Sign*Reader - 06 November 2009 at 7:56pm
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2009 at 8:55pm
"at least they dont gamble, drink and wine with thy mistress on the road".

Brother, are you serious?
Sure, many don't in Saudi, instead they go to a western country where shariah law does not exist..then they have a whale of a time! HAve you not seen them?

And surely they are the worshipers and knowing prisoners to their disgusting wealth? To me that smacks of 'haram' in a big way. They should preserve the old Islam, not demolish sites which 'includes the house of Khadijah, the wife of the Prophet, demolished to make way for public lavatories; the house of Abu Bakr, the Prophet's companion, now the site of the local Hilton hotel; the house of Ali-Oraid, the grandson of the Prophet, and the Mosque of abu-Qubais, now the location of the King's palace in Mecca.'

It really doesn't give a good impression to the rest of the non-muslim world.
some of us are a lot like cement:- all mixed up and permanently set
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic