IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Science & Technology
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - God and the Spheres  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

God and the Spheres

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: God and the Spheres
    Posted: 21 July 2005 at 7:02pm

Salaam to all,

One of the great things about science is that it is a cognitive tool that helps us understand physical reality more. With this in mind many of our modern scientist from the past to the now present, have made remarkable advances. But in looking back, or I should say up, we see how remarkable space is. In fact, we shouldn't even call "space" space because space is something in which it is void or unoccupied. As we see in space we see many stars and planets (or the ones we know of).

One of the things that I've always wondered especially when contemplating on how God created the worlds was why did God use the "circular shape" of planets? Of course on this planet there was a time where people thought the Earth was flat. Of course now that myth has been dispelled we can relax and say that the Earth is round. But, what is so significant about the roundness of Earth? Well besides its incredible look the planets are circular in nature. Thgey are not perfectly rounded due to the gravitational pull of the Sun but, circulkar nontheless.

One of the theories on why the spheres rotate in their current motion is because of the Solar Nebula. These primitive gases that formed billions of years ago were super heated gases which contained some of the compounds we find on many planets: Nitrogen, Oxygen, amonia, Carbon just to name a few. Originally somehow these gases condensed and became combustable which created a whirlwind which all the components (gases etc) were thuse spun around. Scientist also notes that the debris within space were somehow caught in this rotating fire and somehow formed into what we call Earth and planets. Of course these are some theories on how the planets came to be but more important is the question why circular?

Well, one of the things about a circle is that its perimeters all equal its sides. A circle is quite perfect in essence because each area can be effected by any exterior force e.g the Sun's gravity and its heat. This is not the only reason about the circle but these are just mainly a couple thoughts in mind. The Ikhwan-Al Safa a Sufi group onced said in their cosmological books was that the universe loved God so much that it willed itself into existence with all its perfect forms. Perhaps this is true.

One of the things I suggest to my fellow members here is if you have time out of your busy schedule just go outside and look up at night and just view the many stars and planets. I think while doing so one can grow an appreciation of God and his spheres.

aisha View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2005 at 5:29am
yes thats something to think about.
aisha
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2005 at 6:13am
Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

One of the things I suggest to my fellow members here is if you have time out of your busy schedule just go outside and look up at night and just view the many stars and planets. I think while doing so one can grow an appreciation of God and his spheres.

I love doing that, I kinda perfer it in summer time thou  , at the moment it is the full moon, I love looking up at it, at certain times, in the low horizon when it is rising it can be this really huge ball.

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
firewall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firewall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2005 at 9:08am
yesterday i look at the full moon, that night it was clear (no haze) & bright with stars. & then some teenage boys said "sis! look here! look here!"  yup, is it so weird to look up a the night's sky? it's gorgeous! if the sky isn't so polluted, i think we can see brighter more beautiful stars & the moon so much brighter. we think the stars are so small, yet when you reflect the reality -- YOU ARE THE SMALL ONE. THE STARS ARE THE HUMONGOUS ONES!
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2005 at 10:03am

I have some really excellent and amazing memories of the moon, my first one is when I was on camp in year 7, and man it was unbelievable. It was night (well obviously ), the area, there was the building we stayed in, outside was a campsite and a litter over the way is the lake, and one night during a night hiking, I look towards the lake and there is this big huge like ball in the sky and small part hidden beneath the hozion, water meets moon, the light wasn't white but a yellowish colour. Looking over towards the lake and seeing this moon that almost literally took over the sky, was like magical, I never thought the moon could be like this or see it this way nor be so close to the earth.

Another memory was a few years back, mum and I had dinner at a friends house, later she drove us back and on the way I could see this big light object over the way, but it was too low to see what it was and there were other objects n the way to, the friend notice it to after a little and shared with mum, so we were all curious as to what it could be, I kept thinking it had to be an hot air balloon why would something big and lightfilled be around , so we kept driving on a little till we could see what it was and when a clearing came, it revealed the moon, not in its full phrase but soon, it was wow, but it was like the size of an hot air balloon, and infact because of the shape it looked like one to, all of it was shown above the horizon it to was a yellowish bight glow.

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2005 at 6:00pm
Can you imagine the beauty we see from the point of view from Earth, what if we were in space how earth look from the sky? That would be amazing. Planets and stars are indeed wonderous and perhaps it would take a lifetime to actually grasp the whole of their beauty what a marvelous creation indeed!

Edited by Israfil
ZamanH View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZamanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2005 at 10:50pm
Quote Well besides its incredible look the planets are circular in nature. They are not perfectly rounded due to the gravitational pull of the Sun but, circulkar nontheless.

Planets are round because of surface tension that existed in the primordial fluid and for a fixed volume its sphere that is the geometrical  shape which has smallest surface area.
Also, planets are not perfectly rounded (but oblong in shape i.e world is wider at the Equator) because of the centrifugal force, caused by the Earth's rotation, that the primordial fluid experienced. Gravitational force of Sun will have negligible effect (over shape of the Earth), I think.
An enemy of an enemy is a fickle friend.
There will be more women in hell than men.
..for persecution is worse than the slaughter of the enemy..(Quran 2:191)
Heaven lies under mother's feet
ZamanH View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZamanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2005 at 11:07pm
Quote These primitive gases that formed billions of years ago were super heated gases which contained some of the compounds we find on many planets: Nitrogen, Oxygen, amonia, Carbon just to name a few.

That is incorrect, although those elements are abandunt in Earth, in the entire universe they are only in negligible quantities. Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the Universe. The Sun and all the other stars are  almost entirely composed of Hydrogen and its isotopes.

Quote Originally somehow these gases condensed and became combustable which created a whirlwind which all the components (gases etc) were thuse spun around.

The gases condensed because of gravitational force of each other. Because of  intense gravitational force, nuclear fusion started which released heat and prevented the "congregation" of molecules from collapsing further. If I recollect correctly, combusion is defined only for burning due to oxidation.

Edited by ZamanH
An enemy of an enemy is a fickle friend.
There will be more women in hell than men.
..for persecution is worse than the slaughter of the enemy..(Quran 2:191)
Heaven lies under mother's feet
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic