IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is it ok to go for IVF?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is it ok to go for IVF?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakooooot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is it ok to go for IVF?
    Posted: 09 October 2009 at 12:40pm

Assalam-O-Alaikum Sisters,

I am going through a lot of health problems. I have a condition that's preventing me from having kids. We have tried surgery and some other treatments and now according to my doctor my only option is IVF. Not only is it our only option probably but it's an option we need to take fast since the condition is re-curring and according to the doc the more time I waste the worse it'll get...now my question is that from the Islamic point of view is it halaal to go ahead with IVF? Of course, there's no involvement of donor eggs or anything unethical like that..it's just between me and my husband...and even though I have heard of a lot of muslims going through this treatment I still wanted to make sure...also, I am concerned about the financial part...we are in no financial condition to pay for this treatment fully from our pockets so we have to take some medical loan for this...since we live in the US everything is interest based and I am not sure what I should do...I don't wanna get into debt and pay interest for having a baby but what other choice do I have? I have asked my mom and she doesn't seem to answer it well..she thinks i am doing it for the right reasons to have a muslim offspring..but I am still confused...what should I do? Please help...esp. sisters who have gone through fertility treatments themselves...thanks and jazakallah khair
Nobody_Nobody View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobody_Nobody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2009 at 5:54am
Wa alaikum assalaam wa rahmatullah wa barakatuh. I don't know the answer to your Q. But I wanna share to you a story of a sister who was diagnosed by a doctor of not capable of having a baby. Her uterus was blocked and the doctor said she has to undergo a surgery and even doing that, still having a baby is impossible for her. They only found it out, after being married for five years. But then she said, she entrusted everything to Allah, swt. She underwent the surgery, along with that she said, she recited the dua of Prophet Zakaria (as) [when he asked for child/ren] in her every sujud, (dunno for how long she did that, they've been married for 10 years now). The power of dua, that now they have their lovely 4-year old daughter Na'eema. So don't lose hope.

[according to the doc the more time I waste the worse it'll get...] this is :(
I was to say that if you're not that old yet, since you're not yet financially ready maybe it would help to take your time.

But anyway my dua for you sister.

My co-wife underwent IVF and she's  blessed with a baby girl who was born premature, and stayed in the incubator for almost two months. But alhamdulillah, little Aisha is now three years old and mashaAllah, so strong, witty, that none can think of how small she was when she was born nor with hole in her heart at that. She still has her weak side at times, but by Allah's blessing she is just like a normal kid.

May you be guided with the right decision, ameen.

Assalaamu alaikum.

Edited by Nobody_Nobody - 17 October 2009 at 5:56am
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2009 at 12:01pm
Asalaam Aalikum,

I have read various opinions so i cannot really say. But the riba is a big, big issue.  I listened to the lectures on Sacred Law in Secular Lands and the BIGGEST issue is riba. And its barely, I mean barely acceptable for college education. I would say you need to ask a scholar on this issue.  It is not like you are going through a medical procedure to save a life.  So it is something I would think, you'd ask people with more scholarly knowledge.

My duas for you. 
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
mariyah View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariyah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2009 at 1:35pm
Wa alaikum asalaam wa rhamatullah wa baraktuhu..
Sister i am in agreement with sister Hayfa, you should seek the opinion of a notable scholar before proceeding with any such procedure.
Try some of the more noteable sites by some of the shaiyks, they will have varying responses, then make duas for the correct answers. May Allah wa Ta'la grant you an answer.

"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.
wisdomseeker View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wisdomseeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2009 at 5:49am
Assalamu alaikum,

You may find this helpful:

(By Sheikh Ahmed Kutty)
IVF is permissible in Islam only on condition that both sperm and egg involved in the process originate from a man and a woman who are married to each other. To introduce an egg or sperm from a third person to the equation is akin to sharing the marriage bed with someone else. It is therefore considered no different from zina (adultery) in Islam. A child born through such a procedure is born of zina in Islam.
(From islamonline.net)

Please do not be disheartened, Allah says in the Holy Quran:

"and most certainly We shall try you all, so that We might mark out those of you who strive hard [in Our cause] and are patient in adversity: for We shall put to a test [the truth of] all your assertions"
(Holy Quran:47:31)

May Allah give you strength to stand the adversity.Ameen.

May Allah guide us to what is right, surely He guides whom He wills
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic