IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Basics of Islam
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Heaven and hell  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Heaven and hell

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2005 at 8:59pm
Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

wa alaikum assalam

Quote Asalaam-o-Alaikum

I would like to add that Allah's "religion" has been "submission to His Will" as conveyed by every Prophet (pbut all). The name given to this "way of life" is Islam. Having said that I would like to mention a hadith (I do not know the exact wording) that says that the Holy Prophet (saw) once said that "no one will enter paradise except that Allah (swt) has Mercy on him". The Holy Prophet (saw) was asked "Even you, O Prophet of Allah?" and he replied in the affirmative.

So the correct faith and good deeds can make us "good candidates" for His Mercy but ultimately, Allah's justice will prevail in the case of those of us who have the misfortune of having our deeds and faith looked into. Blessed will be those who do not have any accountability or at the most only in a cursory manner. Allah humma hasibny hisabyen yaseera. Aameen

Jazak allah for reminding me of that hadith, it is absolutely ture and i think it was bad wording on my part if i implied that Allah was not turning to those people who simply said la ilaha illah llah through some aspect of his mercy. My point was that Allah himself was pointing out other atributes than mercy for a reason and we need to look at and understand why that is.

I think it was out of his mercy that Allah turned to this group through his atributes of Power, Majesty, Supremacy and Greatness becouse as we know through other ahadith and the Quran Rasul allah is a mercy for all the worlds and it is he who is interceding for them.

Edited by rami
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2005 at 9:36pm

wa alaikum asalam Hope,

can i asume your a sister ?

Quote I was merely saying that you cannot accept Allah (swt) as your Lord and then deny what he has sent and commanded us to follow. How can you worship if you don't obey? It doesn't make sense.  Do you see my point? Anyway I do see your point so we will say that the people of the book all worship Allah (swt) ok.

You can accept allah as your Rab and not follow his comandments, Millions of Muslims themself do it all the time, if this wasnt the case you would not see rasull allah saying  'O Lord, my followers!' Then He will say, 'Go and take out (all those) in whose hearts there is faith even to the lightest, lightest mustard seed. (Take them) out of the Fire.

When you read the versus in the Quran which are translated as Atom the word in arabic is mustard seed becouse this seed is extrememly small in size and this is the lightest faith a person can have.

al-Ma'idah 5:82

Thou wilt find the most vehement of mankind in hostility to those who believe (to be) the Jews and the idolaters. And thou wilt find the nearest of them in affection to those who believe (to be) those who say: Lo! We are Christians. That is because there are among them priests and monks, and because they are not proud.

I appreciate the hadith brother rami but there is so much in the Qu'ran that says the kafir will burn in hell.  In fact the jew is cursed in the Qu'ran. The christians believe in a trinity that is shrik (the unforgivable sin) so that takes care of the people of the book.  And Qu'ran trumps hadith.

Quran Trumps hadith becouse  Rasul allah taught something contrary to the Quran?  The Ahadith further explain the Quran. The jews are cursed but they still believe in Allah what do you understand by "cursed"?

The christains are also described as being a people who have been fooled or tricked in the Quran thus there case is not black and white. Some believe in the trinity while there are many who dont and still call themself christians.

Lo! those who disbelieve and turn from the way of Allah and then die disbelievers, Allah surely will not pardon them. 47:34

We have another verse which says the only sin Allah will not forgive is Idolatry do they contradict each other? no, you can not use the Quran to contradict another verse in the Quran or hadith this is a basic rule of Tafsir. They both came from rasul allah. There are many types of disbelievers some believe in Allah but not rasul allah while others dont believe in Allah at all.

"Whoever wishes for a way of life other that Islaam, never will it be accepted from them and in the hereafter they will be amongst the losers" 3:85

How does that contradict those who said la illaha illah llah will be taken out of hell, they are in hell ie losers.

Quote The Qu'ran says the kafir will burn in hell.

There are also hadith that say the kafir will burn in hell:

"On the day of judgment a disbeliever will be asked: 'Suppose you had as much gold as to fill the earth, would you offer it to ransom yourself from the hell-fire?' He will reply: 'Yes!' Then it will be said to him: 'You were asked for something easier than that, that you should join none in worship with Allaah, and submit yourself to Him, but you refused'" ( sahih Bukhari )

"By the One in Whose hand is the soul of Muhammad, there is no-one of this Ummah, Jew or Christian, who hears of me then dies without believing in that with which I have been sent, but he will be one of the people of Hell." (Sahih Muslim, 153).

The Quran AND hadith say the Kafir will burn in hell.

Does the hadith i Quote say anything to contradict any of the above? no those who said la illah illah llah will be taken out of hell.

You can not use one hadith agaisnt another hadith or Quran against another verse in the Quran rasul allah did not contradict himself or what Allah has said.

Do you think even a second in hell is easy those who didnt believe in muhamad will be severly punished in hell but that does not contradict the hadith and verse i Quoted, I think rasul allah knows the shahadah....La illaha illah llah Muhamad rasul allah. now if a muslim was to simply say la illaha illah llah without muhamad rasul allah he would be a kafir so that last part in the hadith can in no way be talking about muslims.

The hadith itself is a sahih hadith.

Regarding your second post i have clarified that in my above post.

Edited by rami
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
hope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2005 at 1:39am
Originally posted by rami rami wrote:

wa alaikum asalam Hope,

can i asume your a sister ?

Quote I was merely saying that you cannot accept Allah (swt) as your Lord and then deny what he has sent and commanded us to follow. How can you worship if you don't obey? It doesn't make sense.  Do you see my point? Anyway I do see your point so we will say that the people of the book all worship Allah (swt) ok.

You can accept allah as your Rab and not follow his comandments, Millions of Muslims themself do it all the time

You know very well that I am talking about rejecting faith. You cannot obey Allah (swt) if you reject his PROPHETS. I don't know of any muslims that don't believe in Prophet Mohammed. It's a question of shaddah. Not whether not someone who ALREADY accepts shaddah pays zakat every year or not! Big difference.

If there is a question-- what is said in the Qu'ran trumps what is in the hadith. Not that they contradict but the Qu'ran is the direct word of Allah (swt) whereas the hadith are NOT. They can even vary  in the degree to the certainity of what they contain. The answer is SO clear in the Qu'ran and you are trying to piece together something from the hadith to support your very assumption that the kaffir will be in jennah. Kaffir in hell eternally. The hadith that you keep referring to is about muslims. ONly musims that have to be purified will be sent to hell before they can enter jennah. It does not apply to kaffirs. Kaffirs go to hell and stays there.   

Anyway, Since I can't do ijtihad and you can't either I have to go by what scholars read from this.  Please read this and if you find anything from another scholar that is different please post here. Thanks.

Questions? - [email protected]

Bismillah Rahman Raheem
Salam alaykum:

Your Question:

"Will only Muslims go to heaven? Or will non-Muslims be there too?"

Answer:

In order to properly understand the answer we must first supply a basic understanding of what the words in Arabic mean. The key to correct understanding in this matter is to keep in mind that Arabic is a root driven language based on a verb structure.

Look to our website page on this subject at:

http://www.islamtomorrow.com/word/

You will be able to better understand the difference between ISLAM as a verb as opposed to ISLAM as a noun, inshallah.

To give a brief summary of ISLAM as a verb:

ISLAM - means doing what Allah wants you to do and doing it in surrender, obedience, sincerity and peace, according to His Commandments and Rules.

MUSLIM - means a person who is doing the action of Islam - meaning a person who submits to Allah on His terms and does so in complete peace without resisting Allah's Orders.

The first Muslim was Adam, peace be upon him, and then many more came after him. Some were called "Hunafah" (not to be confused with the followers of Abu Hanifah), this was a very long time before Moses, peace be upon him. Some were called "Jews" (Yahud in Hebrew) and then came "Christians." But all of them were at the same time, "Muslims" because they were doing "Islam." In other words they were doing what Allah had commanded them to do and they were sincere in their worship to Him and only to Him without any partners.

This means that anybody could be in Paradise as long as they were doing "God's Will" and not worshipping something other than Almighty God.

The statement, "None shall enter the Paradise except Muslims" is true, only if you understand it in the above context.

There are some verses in the Quran that make it crystal clear:

"Inna deenah, inndallahil Islam."
(Certainly, Allah will only accept Islam [submission to Him on His terms in peace] as a way of life for anyone.)
[surah Al Imran 3:19]

"Wa ma yabtaghi ghayril Islama deenah, fala-yuq bala minhu, wa huwa fil akhirati minal khasareen."
(And whoever desires a way of life other than what Allah has command, He will never accept it from them and in the Hereafter they will be amongst the loosers.)
[surah Al Imran 3:85]

Al yawm ya-isa allatheena kafaru min deenikum fala takhshawhum waikhshawni.
This day (at this time) those who disbelieve (in Allah) have given up all hope of your DEEN (way of life - ISLAM), so do not fear them, but rather fear Me [Allah].

Al Yawma akmaltu lakum deenakum wa at mamtu alaykum nia'matee wa radeetul lakum ul islama deena.
This day, I have perfected your DEEN (way of life) for you, completed my favor upon you, and have chosen for you ISLAM (submission to Allah) as your DEEN (way of life).
[Surah Al Mai'adah 5:3]

The prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, said, "I swear by the One who holds my life in His Hands (Allah) there is none amongst the Jews and Christians who hears about me and then dies without believing in the message with which I have been sent (monotheism of Islam - believing Allah is One and we must submit ourselves to His Will on earth), except he will be of the people of the Fire (Hell).
[Sahih Muslim, Book of Faith, Vol. 1, hadeeth 240]

Allah also says:

"Inna allatheena kafaroo lan tughniya AAanhum amwaluhum wala aw laduhum mina Allahi shay-an wa olaaa-ika as-habun-nari-hum feeha khalidoon."
(Surely, those who reject Faith (disbelieve in Allah and in Muhammad, peace be upon him), neither their properties, nor their offspring will benefit them anything against Allah. They are the dwellers of the Fire, therein they will live forever.)
[Surah Al Imran 3:116, tafseer At-Tabari, Vol. 4, Page 58]

We should now be able to understand that the One and Only True God of the universe has made it clear, He has a Way of Life (DEEN) already laid out for us and if we accept it and act on it to the best of our ability, then we are in the right way (ISLAM). And certainly, it is not based on being an Arab or speaking Arabic or any other culture or language. It is not about skin color, ethnicity or race. It is not about what the world labels us but rather what is in our hearts.

The heart is a precious comodity to Allah and He is the Judge of the hearts. We can not say that someone is from the Paradise of the Hell-Fire. We can only say what types of beliefs and actions would bring a person closer to either place.

I hope this has been helpful for you in better understanding who are the people of Paradise and who are those of the Fire. May Allah accept this and keep us away from the Hell and grant us His Paradise in Jennah, ameen.

Salam alaykum,
Yusuf Estes

------------------------------------------------------------ -------
Seriously, do you still deny that anyone who isn�t a muslim is going to hell. The Christians, Jews, and Hunafah (who came before islam) were allowed entry into heaven...but once islam came, their deens were corrupted and destroyed....the true Christians, Jews, and Hunafah  ARE LONG GONE... only the Muslims of the Qu�ran remain present-day and only they can enter Jennah.

Edited by hope
hope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2005 at 2:05am

The Jews are cursed in the Qu'ran here are three different interpretaions:

YUSUFALI: The Jews say: "Allah's hand is tied up." Be their hands tied up and be they accursed for the (blasphemy) they utter. Nay, both His hands are widely outstretched: He giveth and spendeth (of His bounty) as He pleaseth. But the revelation that cometh to thee from Allah increaseth in most of them their obstinate rebellion and blasphemy. Amongst them we have placed enmity and hatred till the Day of Judgment. Every time they kindle the fire of war, Allah doth extinguish it; but they (ever) strive to do mischief on earth. And Allah loveth not those who do mischief.

PICKTHAL: The Jews say: Allah's hand is fettered. Their hands are fettered and they are accursed for saying so. Nay, but both His hands are spread out wide in bounty. He bestoweth as He will. That which hath been revealed unto thee from thy Lord is certain to increase the contumacy and disbelief of many of them, and We have cast among them enmity and hatred till the Day of Resurrection. As often as they light a fire for war, Allah extinguisheth it. Their effort is for corruption in the land, and Allah loveth not corrupters.

SHAKIR: And the Jews say: The hand of Allah is tied up! Their hands shall be shackled and they shall be cursed for what they say. Nay, both His hands are spread out, He expends as He pleases; and what has been revealed to you from your Lord will certainly make many of them increase in inordinacy and unbelief; and We have put enmity and hatred among them till the day of resurrection; whenever they kindle a fire for war Allah puts it out, and they strive to make mischief in the land; and Allah does not love the mischief-makers.

(Notice how God uses the present tense. The disobedient Yahoods of old are the same of now. The Jews who followed Musa (AW) and Ibrahim (AW)---. These WERE the Jews of Allah but they are long gone) .

The Jews are the transgressors they reject the authority of Allah (swt): 

We made a covenant of old with the Children of Israel and We sent unto them messengers. As often as a messenger came unto them with that which their souls desired not (they became rebellious). Some (of them) they denied and some they slew. 5:70

�O people of the Scripture! (Jews and Christians): Why do you disbelieve in the Ayaat of Allaah, [the Verses about Prophet Muhammad present in the Tawraat (Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel)] while you (yourselves) bear witness (to their truth)?

O people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians): Why do you mix truth with falsehood and conceal the truth while you know?

And a party of the people of the Scripture say: �Believe in the morning in that which is revealed to the believers (Muslims), and reject it at the end of the day, so that they may turn back��
Aal �Imraan 3:70-72

�O you who believe! Take not the Jews and the Christians as Awliyaa� (friends, protectors, helpers), they are but Awliyaa� of each other. And if any amongst you takes them (as Awliyaa�), then surely, he is one of them. Verily, Allaah guides not those people who are the Zaalimoon (polytheists and wrongdoers and unjust)� al-Maa'idah 5:51

�Verily, those who disbelieve (in the religion of Islam, the Qur�aan and Prophet Muhammad) from among the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians) and Al..Mushrikoon will abide in the fire of Hell. They are the worst of creatures.�

al-Bayyinah 98:6

�And verily, you will find them (the Jews) the greediest of mankind for life and (even greedier) than those who ascribe partners to Allaah (and do not believe in Resurrection � Magians, pagans, and idolaters). Everyone of them wishes that he could be given a life of a thousand years. But the grant of such life will not save him even a little from (due) punishment. And Allaah is All-Seer of what they do�[al-Baqarah 2:96]

hope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2005 at 2:07am

and yes  to your first question!

Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2005 at 8:43am

Auzubillahi minash shaitan ir rajeem

Bismillah ir rahman ir rahim,

The basis of faith is that one believes in Allah, his messengers (all of them, excluding none), His angels  and His books (all of them, excluding none).

Those who have any variation in their faith to the above are not Muslim, and their religion is not Islam.

As it is said in surah Imran verse 19, if one has a religion other than Islam it shall not be accepted of him (not actual translation). It is also confirmed by scholars that this verse abrogates those verses of the Quran that say "any who believes in allah is a muslim".

So we should not deny that Jews and christians recieved the word of Allah, and they worshiped Allah as their Lord, but their religion is not complete or perfect, after it has become incumbent on mankind to follow another book and another prophet.

We cannot say even for a kafir if he is going to heaven or hell, but sure we should know what are the basic requirements of this religion (ike Islam).

Maa salaama,

Nausheen

<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2005 at 6:52pm

assalamu alaikum

Quote You know very well that I am talking about rejecting faith. You cannot obey Allah (swt) if you reject his PROPHETS. I don't know of any muslims that don't believe in Prophet Mohammed. It's a question of shaddah. Not whether not someone who ALREADY accepts shaddah pays zakat every year or not! Big difference.

This is not corect, most certainly you can obey parts of allahs message and ignore others a basic example is that we believe in the 10 commandments and so do jews and christians. Any one among this group who follows them is obeying Allah in this respect. Otherwise i dont see at all what you are saying, rejecting islam does not mean the person is not obeying Allah outright.

Quote  If there is a question-- what is said in the Qu'ran trumps what is in the hadith. Not that they contradict but the Qu'ran is the direct word of Allah (swt) whereas the hadith are NOT. They can even vary  in the degree to the certainity of what they contain. The answer is SO clear in the Qu'ran and you are trying to piece together something from the hadith to support your very assumption that the kaffir will be in jennah. Kaffir in hell eternally. The hadith that you keep referring to is about muslims. ONly musims that have to be purified will be sent to hell before they can enter jennah. It does not apply to kaffirs. Kaffirs go to hell and stays there..

The idea that the Quran Trumps ahadith is plain wrong we take both together, the hadith i quoted you is from sahih bukhari there is no question about the authenticity of the hadith and you can not reject it simply becouse you dont like it. When you pary and say the shahadah do you simply say La illaha illah llah or La illaha illah llah muhamad rasul allah ?

Quote   Anyway, Since I can't do ijtihad and you can't either I have to go by what scholars read from this.  Please read this and if you find anything from another scholar that is different please post here. Thanks.

I am going by what scholars have said, if you dont want to accept what i am saying that is your right the scholars have diffrent opinions on a range of issues.

Quote   Seriously, do you still deny that anyone who isn�t a muslim is going to hell. The Christians, Jews, and Hunafah (who came before islam) were allowed entry into heaven...but once islam came, their deens were corrupted and destroyed....the true Christians, Jews, and Hunafah  ARE LONG GONE... only the Muslims of the Qu�ran remain present-day and only they can enter Jennah.

Your argument is based on asumptions and ignoreing certain evidence, a scholar looks at all the evidence not just part of it, dont simplify my argument to jews christians [edited] these are just lables there are many people out there who do not fit into this conveniant mould.

There are 7 levels of jahanam do you also know who is going in which level? i think you should read sister nausheens post carfully

Edited by rami
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2005 at 9:33pm

Auzubillahi minash shaitan ir rajeem

Bismillah ir rahman ir rahim,

Originally posted by hope hope wrote:

Anyway, Since I can't do ijtihad and you can't either I have to go by what scholars read from this.  Please read this and if you find anything from another scholar that is different please post here. Thanks.

The following is taken from: On the validity of all religions in the thought of ibn Al-'Arabi and Emir 'Abd al-Qadir by Nuh Ha Mim Keller

5. The Fate of Non-Muslims in the Afterlife 

The reason that contemporary writers affected by the writings of Gunon and Schuon, such as Chittick and Gai Eaton (or such as Martin Lings, Titus Burckhardt etc.), seem to want the universal validity of all religions at any price, even to the extent of attributing it to masters like Muhyiddin ibn al-`Arabi ("in principle") or Emir `Abd al-Qadir ("he protected the Christians against massacre by taking them into his own home because he understood" [as if other scholars considered massacring them halal]) would seem to be the emotive impalatability of followers of other religions going to hell. Where is the mercy? Would Allah put someone in the hellfire merely for worshipping in another religion besides Islam? This question is answered by traditional Islam according to two possibilities:  

(1) There are some peoples who have not been reached by the message of the Prophet of Islam (Allah bless him and give him peace) that we must worship the One God alone, associating nothing else with Him. Such people are innocent, and will not be punished no matter what they do. Allah says in surat al-Isra',  

"We do not punish until We send a Messenger" (Qur'an 17:15). 

These include, for example, Christians and others who lived in the period after the spread of the myth of Jesus godhood, until the time of the prophet Muhammad (Allah bless him and give him peace), who renewed the call to pure monotheism.  

The great Muslim scholar, Imam Ghazali, includes in this category those who have only been reached with a distorted picture of the Messenger of Islam (Allah bless him and give him peace), presumably including many people in the West today who know nothing about Allah's religion but newspaper stories about Ayatollahs and mad Muslim bombers. Is it within such people's capacity to believe? In Ghazali's view, such people are excused until after they have had an opportunity to learn the undistorted truth about Islam (Ghazali: "Faysal al-tafriqa," Majmu'a rasa'il al-Imam al-Ghazali, 3.96). This of course does not alter our own obligation as Muslims to reach them with the da'wa.  

(2) A second group of people consists of those who turn away from God's divine message of Islam, rejecting the command to make their worship God's alone; whether because of blindly imitating the religion of their ancestors, or for some other reason. These are people to whom God has sent a prophetic messenger and reached with His message, and to whom He has given hearing and an intellect with which to grasp it but after all this, persist in associating others with Allah, either by actually worshipping another, or by rejecting the laws brought by His messenger (Allah bless him and give him peace), which associates their own customs with His prerogative to be worshipped as He directs. Such people have violated God's rights, and have accepted to go to hell, which is precisely what His messengers have warned them of, so they have no excuse:  

"Truly, Allah does not forgive that any be associated with Him; but He forgives what is less than that to whomever He wills" (Qur'an 4:48). 

In either case, Allah's mercy exists, though for non-Muslims unreached by the message, it is a question of divine amnesty for their ignorance, not a confirmation of their religions validity. It is worth knowing the difference between these two things, for one's eternal fate depends on it.

Hope this helps, insha allah.

Maa salaama,

Nausheen

<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic