IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - problems in marriage  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

problems in marriage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2005 at 11:35am
Originally posted by kiny kiny wrote:

Even before I start curing depression, my husband has to start compromising...what if my depression is related to his behavior

Sister Kiny,

Depression does not come from out of the blue, there are always reasons around ourselves and within us that shape the psyche.

In your case it can be your husband's attitide, and at this stage it is hard to figure as to why he changed much so suddenly. However  given to the age of your married life, i can tell you, you are having some settlement problems.

Every marriage goes thru ups and downs, and especially within the first 3 years. Not having your family and friends near you can add to the problems, because these people help buffer off much that may otherwise have a severe effect on a person.

Your husband may not be handling things as maturely and as generously as he should. It will take sometime for him to realise and for you to bear the loneliness. Have patience. Sometiems people take a bit longer than usual to understand their spouse. May be he is a good person, but is finding it stressful and awkward to deal with your depressiion. May be he did not expect this in his wildest imagination. Newly weds have expectations from eachother, which they sometimes discover as not met with, and it causes disappointments ... may lead to depressions also.

Try to find something to keep you occupied and interested (other than your husband) eg, go to a hobby shop and buy some kits to make, or borrow a book from the library. Try some new recepies etc... there are many things to do.

If your depression gets worse while discussing thiings with your husband, it is better you do not discuss with him rather talk to someone else. Good option will be a psychotherepist, as suggested by others on this forum.

Sis, just remember, at this point it not your husband's attitude that is your responsibility to rectify. Your responsibility is towards your health and well being. Therefore, choose what is best for you, and act wisely. Insha allah, all will be well soon.

Lastly, you are welcome to any help that you can recieve from here. I will be glad if the dua is beneficial for you insha allah.

Maa salaama,

Nausheen

Edited by Nausheen
<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2005 at 2:26pm
I suggest you read the Dr. Phil book family first. While he is not a Muslim he is very wise and his advice is in line with Islamic style of marraige. Dr. Phil says the number one predictor of divorce is when couples resort to character assasination and start leading an emotional divorce. Real seperation usually follows. You should tell him without yelling or crying that things need to change between you both. Admit what you have done wrong to him and tell him you will not stand anymore for yelling and being insulted. People will only mistreat you if you allow them to. I hope this helps you. Peace
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
firewall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firewall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2005 at 5:21pm

Edited by firewall
guideasister View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guideasister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2005 at 7:25pm
Assalamu Alaikum sister:

I almost know exactly what you are saying and you should not blame your depression for the cause of his behavior. Although many men do not understand how to react properly when faced with a woman who is in depression frequently, that does not make it ok for him to be constantly yelling at you or making you feel as if you are a bad wife because you are not happy all the time.

You should first attempt to calm yourself by reading the Quran and talking to someone to ease your heart, even if it is temporary. If noone else, you can talk to me here as often as you like. Also, when you are feeling calm, sit your husband down and try to discuss all the reasons you are upset with his behavior and the factors that you feel are the reason for your unhappiness.

If this situation progresses after perhaps both of you receive therapy (from islamic counselors or otherwise) and if his verbal abuse (and God forbid.. future physical abuse) start, then u may want to seek legal separation. But this would be after a prolonged period of trying to openly discuss the issues you are feeling with him and with professionals and observing his changes in personality over due course.
I am keeping you in my prayers. May Allah subhana wat'allah give you peace and tranquility.
In my own family, my aunt lived through depression and I have other experiences with this especially when it is caused or continued through abuse, verbal or otherwise, from another.
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2005 at 8:32am

Bismillah,

Exercise ameliorates depression, really!  Walking outside, running in place inside, dancing, aerobics.  Try it when you feel like crying, or even before!

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
kiny View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2005 at 10:29am
Thanks for all the advice once again...Jenni I did try reading Dr. Phil's book a while ago but couldnt' finish it but I'll try reading it again...firewall thanks for reminding me about the numerous blessings that I have and that i should be taking into account instead of getting depressed over small things...the problem with us is that we always fight over the most stupidest things not the big matters and therefore i guess i should be hopeful that it can be resolved inshallah....i did have a long discussiong with my husband about how my depression and his yelling behavior is affecting our relationship and hopefully we'll work something out soon inshallah...as for my depression, i am going to take an appointment with a doctor so she can properly diagnose me so i can start curing myself asap...this forum is a great encouragement and makes me feel theres someone out there who can understand my thoughts :)
Meedo View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2005 at 8:37pm

I think that you need to go near yr family sister. verey one of us has this place where he finds happiness. Personally whenever i feel down i try to arrange for a vacation in a place where io never had anything but happiness before. may be in yr case this is yr old neighbourhood or near yr parents or in a place where you had lovely memories.

may be you feel Home sick to yr parents and that can easily cause depression. May be you arent ready to get that far from the people you knew all yr life.

I also advice you walk in the sunshine and expose yr self to calm beautiful nature as much asw you can and never ever lock yr self at home.

Sister you gotta give yr self credit and give yr self what you neeed . Sacrificing yrself for the success of the marriage will end up in sacrificing yr health AND the marriage. Yr husband will only care of you when he sees you are adamant about taking care of your self. Be corageuous and understand that its yr right to heal yr self.

We are all here for you

salam

Meedo

firewall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firewall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2005 at 10:33pm

Edited by firewall
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic