IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Converting to Islam for a Woman  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Converting to Islam for a Woman

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Converting to Islam for a Woman
    Posted: 20 July 2005 at 3:24am

Before I ask this question, I'm just stating upfront, this question is purely hypothetical.  I am curious about something after having read several threads on IC Forums.  A muslim man can marry a christian or a jewish woman, but a muslim woman cannot marry anyone but a muslim man....so here's my question.

If a woman wanted to convert to Islam and her husband was supportive but wanted to stay Christian, Jewish, Agnostic, whatever, would the woman be able to stay with her husband or would she have to leave him?  (In the hypothetical I'm proposing, the husband is supportive and willing to allow his wife all the space and respect she needs to follow the laws and demands of her faith.  Obviously if he were opposed to her conversion, that would raise other issues.)

I'm partially curious because when I married my husband, he was Mormon and I was not.  It was a stress on our relationship but we were at least nominally the same faith as we were both Christian.

J.R. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2005 at 11:37am
Assalamu Alaikum,

As far as I know, if this wife wanted to convert to Islam and her husband
who is considered one of the People of the Book is supportive, I in no way
see why she would have to leave her husband. Of course a non married
Muslim woman is strongly encouraged to marry a Muslim man, but this
situation is special and unique. If he is a good, supportive husband and
is willing to accept his wife in her Islamic faith, then a divorce to me
would be wrong. Allah (swt) discourages divorce amongst all believers
and if these two love one another and love God then they shoudl love and
support each other for life. Of course, Allah knows best.

Peace,
J.R.
Smile
Khadija1021 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khadija1021 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2005 at 11:27pm

Assalamu Alaikum

With all due respect Sister J.R., tha tis not true.  If a non-Muslim woman is married to a non-Muslim man and then she reverts to Islam, she cannot stay married to him if he too does not revert to Islam.  Here is the ayat that speaks of this: 

You who believe! When women who believe come to you as emigrants, submit them to a test. Allah has best knowledge of their faith. If you know they are believers, do not return them to the disbelievers. They are not lawful for the disbelievers nor are the disbelievers lawful for them. Give the disbelievers whatever dowry they paid. And there is nothing wrong in your marrying them provided you pay them their due. Do not hold to any marriage ties with women who disbelieve. Ask for what you paid and let them ask for what they paid. That is Allah's judgement. Allah will judge between them. Allah is All-Knowing, All-Wise. (60:10)

She is not required to leave him immediately; however, after the time is up, she must leave him if he does not choose to revert.  I do not know what the time frame would be but I do know it is not long.  It is best if you seek the advice of an Imam regarding the time he has to decide.  There are many Fatwa on this issue that can be found on through the main page of IslamiCity under "marriage."  Also, please note that the man cannot merely say he is reverting to Islam in order to remain married to the women.  He has to be sincerely in his Shahada. 

PAZ, Khadija

Say: 'My prayer and my rites, my living and my dying, are for Allah alone, the Lord of all the worlds. (Qur'an, 6:162)
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2005 at 11:45pm

Khadija,

Thank you for the scriptural reference.  Though, it is sad.  It would prevent a lot of women from even considering converting, I would think.  To choose between ones family and faith is hard.  I know it was hard enough for me when I converted just the reaction from my family, I can't imagine if that had also required me leaving the man I pledged to marry and follow through eternity.  Would that include if the woman had children, or only women who did not yet have children?  What would be suggested to a woman with children?  And we're still talking about a loving, supportive husband.  If a husband doesn't support the choices of his wife and her faith, then there are bigger problems in the marriage. 

Angela

Khadija1021 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khadija1021 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2005 at 12:47pm

Assalamu Alaikum

Sister Angela, it is no different for a woman who has children even if her husband loves her and is devoted to their family.  A Muslim woman needs spiritual guidance and it is the husband's responsibility to do that.  Children born to a Muslim should be raised to be Muslim which becomes an issue for those Muslim women who married non-Muslims.  It is the husband/father's responsibilty to provide the family with spiritual guidance.  How can an non-Muslim truly do that?  That is why those marriages are not considered valid by Islam.

PAZ, Khadija

Say: 'My prayer and my rites, my living and my dying, are for Allah alone, the Lord of all the worlds. (Qur'an, 6:162)
firewall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firewall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2005 at 8:37am
muslim-muslim.

Edited by firewall
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2005 at 1:43pm

of course... there are these more unusual sitiations.. how about..

If she should leave him but would lose custody of the children? Either because of some local divorce law that obviously is not in an Islamic area or the children are older and choose to be with father?  Seems at times complex..

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2005 at 2:29pm

Assalamu alaikum,

Yes, complex indeed.  I would think that our Merciful and Oft-Forgiving Allah would weigh each and every action of each and every individual by their own merits and circumstances.

For example, Muslim women must wear hijab.  That is black and white, no argument.  Yet, many, many Sisters choose not to wear it - will they all go to hell?  No, I think not.  Allah will weigh their good deeds against their bad deeds.  There is no compulsion in religion.  Allah is the best of judges.

So, it is not unfathomable that there could be a situation where a woman who converts to Islam would choose to stay with her non-Muslim husband.  Yes, it is a sin, just like not wearing hijab.  But, it is between her and Allah.  Only Allah knows the intention in her heart.  Only Allah knows the unique set of circumstances that compel her to commit this sin.

We can quote Qur'an and ahadith.  We can give argument for or against.  In the end, every action we do is between us alone and Allah. It is not the business of the community to forbid Muslims from sinning - there is no compulsion in religion.  Trying to forbid others ends up with situations like the Taliban where women were beaten with sticks for being outdoors without a mahram.  That is not Islam.

Here is another take on this subject.  In recent years there have been thousands of women all over the world converting to Islam.  There was recently an article on another website about 30,000 Swiss women converting to Islam.  Looking at that case alone, even if only half of these women were married, are we to believe that 15,000 Swiss women up and left their husbands, broke up their families and devasted their children just because they changed their religion?  And add on all the other thousands of women around the world - it becomes mind boggling!  Is Islam the religion of making families break up?

Does this make sense?  Does this sound like the simple religion of Islam?  Does this sound like Allah Most Merciful?

One of the reasons given for Muslim women not marrying non-Muslims is that the man is responsible for the religious affairs of the family.  When is the last time you met a man that took charge of the religious upbringing of his children?  It is almost always the woman who does this!

Now, I am not saying that the scholars of old (or even now) are wrong.  I am saying that they are too unflexible.  (And they are all men - hello!  Don't you think women would have a terribly different view of this?)

Islam is not a religion stuck in stone.  The only certainty is "there is no deity worthy of worship but Allah".  Everything else is between you and Allah - only He knows your heart.  Telling Muslims they will go to hell for a certainty is saying that you know how Allah will judge someone - and that is a sin too!

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic