IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Converting to Islam for a Woman  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Converting to Islam for a Woman

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2005 at 2:51am

Firewall,

While I respect your opinions on the matter, I must say that one thing you've said is a bit naive.  That is the woman and her husband can be friends and can have a peaceful breakup.  Break ups are almost never happy, and in fact many men I know would turn bitter if the woman they loved and the mother of their children was willing to just walk away from the life they built and the vows they took.  I think I would have to agree that her being required to give up her entire life would prevent many women from taking the Shahada.  When I was baptized, I was not required to give up my family.  I was only required to remain personally faithful to the teachings and tenants of my faith.  And by your arguements she would not be able to remain friends with her ex-husband if she left.  Its forbidden for a Muslimah to have a deep friendship with a man (especially a non-muslim) with whom she is not married or related to?  At least, that's what I've gotten from some other forums.  She might lose not only the love of her life, but her children, her family.

Angie

mariyah View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariyah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2006 at 9:31am

This is an answer to the same question that I found at Islam-online.net from the ask a scholar there..you can see that opinions differ:

`alykum As-Salamu Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear brother in Islam, we are greatly impressed by your question for it�s related to the affairs of new Muslims. We seize this chance to earnestly implore Allah from the depths of our hearts to lead all perplexed men and women to the light of Islam, the true religion of Allah. We welcome all our new Muslim brothers and sisters to the fold of Islam.

As regards your question, we�d like to cite the following comprehensive Fatwa issued by the European Council for Fatwa and Research, headed by the prominent Muslim scholar, Sheikh Yusuf Al-Qaradawi:

�Addressing the situation at hand, the Council has considered the numerous papers and studies submitted for its attention over three consecutive sessions, and which carried a variety of perspectives and opinions, all dealing with this problem in detail and length, observing the objectives of Shari`ah and relating those to principles of Fiqh. The Council also recognizes and acknowledges the conditions in which new Muslim sisters in the West find themselves when their husbands choose to remain on their religion. The Council affirms and repeats that it is forbidden for a Muslim female to establish marriage to a non-Muslim male. This has been an issue of consensus throughout the history of this nation. However, in the case of marriage being established prior to the female entering the fold of Islam, the Council has decided the following:

First: If both husband and wife revert to Islam and there is no Shari`ah objection to their marriage in the first place, such as blood or foster relations, which deem the very establishment of marriage unlawful, the marriage shall be deemed valid and correct.

Second: Assuming that the marriage is properly contracted in the beginning, if the husband reverts to Islam alone, while his wife remains a Jew or a Christian, then the marriage shall maintain its validity, i.e. it will not be affected by the husband�s conversion to Islam.

Third: If the wife reverts to Islam while her husband remains on his religion, the Council sees the following:

1) If her reversion to Islam occurs before the consummation of marriage, then they must immediately separate.

2) If her reversion to Islam occurs after the consummation of marriage, and the husband also embraced Islam before the expiry of her period of waiting (`Iddah), then the marriage is deemed valid and correct.

3) If her reversion to Islam occurs after the consummation of marriage, and the period of waiting expires, she is allowed to wait for him to embrace Islam even if that period happens to be a lengthy one. Once he does so and reverts to Islam, then their marriage is deemed valid and correct.

4) If the wife chooses to marry another man after the expiration of the period of waiting, she must first request a dissolution of marriage through legal channels.

Fourth: According to the four main schools of jurisprudence, it is forbidden for the wife to remain with her husband, or indeed to allow him conjugal rights, once her period of waiting has expired. However, some scholars see that it is for her to remain with him, allowing him to enjoy full conjugal rights, if he does not prevent her from exercising her religion and she has hope in him to revert to Islam. The reason for this is to consider the case of women who would find it difficult to embrace Islam with the condition of being separated from their husbands and deserting their families. Those scholars based their view upon the ruling of `Umar ibn Al-Khattab, may Allah be pleased with him, in the case of the woman from Al-Heera who reverted to Islam while her husband remained on his religion. According to the authentic narration of Yazeed ibn `Abdullah Al-Khatmi, `Umar ibn Al-Khattab made it optional for the woman to leave her husband or to stay with him. They also cite, in supporting their view, the opinion of `Ali ibn Abi Talib concerning the Christian woman who embraced Islam while still married to a Christian or a Jew. Ali said that her husband�s conjugal right was still inalienable, as he had a contract. This is also an authentic narration. It is also known that Ibrahim Al-Nakha`i, Ash-Shi`bi and Hammad ibn Abi Sulayman had the same view.�

Allah Almighty knows best.

The face of interpretations are changing daily. Do not leave your husbands yet if you are a new muslimah. Many interpretations of the Quran are also influences by the local culture of the Shayk or scholar issuing the Fatwah, Non which I know of are western!

"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2006 at 10:04am

Thank you Maryga.

I have found a fatwa issued to a woman who had been married 16 years.  She was instructed to leave, but if she could not leave she had to realize everytime she was with her husband it was zina and she had to pray for forgiveness everytime.  Also, continue to call him to Islam. They had children and everything.

In Islam its about intentions of the heart.  Part of me feels the bigger crime is a Muslim man marrying a woman of the book when there are faithful Muslimahs in need of husbands.  I equate it with a friend of mine who was African American.  She was upset because there was a young man, also AA, who she knew.  He was educated, kind, loving and responsible.  He married a white girl.  Now, she was not racist.  She was just upset because she felt there are often too few highly educated black men for educated black sisters to marry.  I felt sympathy for her plight. 

A good husband is hard to find in many cultures.  Some of us have been blessed by God with good men in our lives.  If a woman reverts to Islam, her purpose should not be to break up her family but to teach her children Islam and to gently be a rolemodel and quietly, faithfully call her husband to Islam with her.  With time, patience and faith, Allah would call him too.  Allah calls whom he will and when. 

Of course, in incidents where the husband is disrespectful of the womans reversion.  She should get out and right away.  There is no room in any marriage for disrespect.

Srya View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2006 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by AhmadJoyia AhmadJoyia wrote:

note that Quran was revealed over a period of around 23 years; verse by verse, chapter by chapter, to change not only the spiritual but the physical environment as well of its adharants. So, how can we expect, a newly converted Muslim, to abide by all the Quranic injuctions, at once and at the very same moment s/he offered shahada? Gradually but persistently, Allah would provide a way out for her. One shall never forget that it is Allah and Allah alone who has provided the guidance to her and would be the protector for her. If her faith through conviction becomes more stronger, then the tough decisions would not remain tough any more. Inshallah. But who knows, she may not have to even have to deal with toughness at all and Allah may open other doors for her.

Wonderfully put. This is me. Really.

Indeed Allah knows everything.

schwester View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schwester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2006 at 7:02am
oh i missed this thread so have written my questoin some like this. to be honest i haven't read all texts but i think mine is some different. so please drop a line on my thread too.
Rabba bless you
mariyah View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariyah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2006 at 5:25am

Originally posted by sister_m82 sister_m82 wrote:

oh i missed this thread so have written my questoin some like this. to be honest i haven't read all texts but i think mine is some different. so please drop a line on my thread too.
Rabba bless you

Hi sister,

May I inquire of what language is the word, "Rabba"?

Does it translate to god?

"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2006 at 6:53am

Bismillah,

Ya Rab or Rub, Oh Lord!

RabbilAlameen -- Lord of the Worlds.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic