IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Islam and ethics  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Islam and ethics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2005 at 9:47am

MOCKBA:

"it indicates that he has misunderstood the teachings of Islam."

Hopefully this question does not relate to me in any way I ask merely the possibility that adherent os Islam (even including myself) the possibility that people do good deeds for the rewards of Allah and not out of necessity. Such as some born Muslims who are "culturally Muslim" who do "good" deeds out of habitual culture rather than from the spiritual sincerity which Islam teaches. This is the possibility I am talking about. Perhaps it is not a possibility but reality I guess. What I meant on implying is that we need to teach to both born Muslims and reverting Muslims is that good ethical deeds is neither habitual nor cultural but an act in perennial fashion which reflects the beauty of Islam.

Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2005 at 7:57pm
 Auzubillahi minash shaitan ir rajeem,

Bismillah ir rahman ir rahim,

Assalamualaikum wa rahmatullah

Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

Hopefully this question does not relate to me in any way I ask merely the possibility that adherent os Islam (even including myself) the possibility that people do good deeds for the rewards of Allah and not out of necessity. Such as some born Muslims who are "culturally Muslim" who do "good" deeds out of habitual culture rather than from the spiritual sincerity which Islam teaches. This is the possibility I am talking about. Perhaps it is not a possibility but reality I guess. What I meant on implying is that we need to teach to both born Muslims and reverting Muslims is that good ethical deeds is neither habitual nor cultural but an act in perennial fashion which reflects the beauty of Islam.

Israfil, what you are talking about is well reflected in hadith that say  rewards are by intentions.

eg, if we wash our hands before eating ... it is good and hygeninc, but along with washing hands, if we bring to mind that this is a sunnah, and therefore, for the love of the prophet, and thru this love for the sake of seeking a good pleasure of allah we wash hands before eating, we can have a reward in this daily habit.

Perhaps you can say that if we want to earn rewards thru our good habits, and action, we should bring to mind a proper intention behind those actions.  This is applicable to all of us, not just born muslims.

Narrated by abu Hurairah (RA) is a hadith [in riyadus salihin] that rasul allah (saw) said, many  in my ummah will be a martyr who will die peacefully in their beds ... which means these are the people who die with a sincere desire in their hearts to be martyrs.

Thus we can imagine how much one is rewarded just by correcting his intentions and reflections of the heart.

Maa salaama,

Nausheen

<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
MOCKBA View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOCKBA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2005 at 10:06pm

Bismillah

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, �Do not view any good act as insignificant, even the act of meeting your brother with a cheerful face� (Muslim).

It is up to Allah to decide which act is significant and which act is not worthy of reward. Let's just do good and hope sincerely that what we do will please Him.

We are also instructed not to consider any deed even if very small as insignificant. It is Allah's Authority to decide which one is significant and which one is not.

On the authority of Ibn Abbas that the messenger of Allah, among the sayings he relates from his Lord is : "Allah has written down the good deeds and the bad ones." Then he explained it [by saying that] :" He who has intended a good deed and has not done it, Allah writes it down with Himself as a full good deed, but if he has intended it and has done it, Allah writes it down with Himself as from ten good deeds to seven hundred times, or many times over. But if he has intended a bad deed and has not done it, Allah writes it down with Himself as a full good deed, but if he has intended it and has done it, Allah writes it down as one bad deed." (related by Bukhari and Muslim)

MOCKBA
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2005 at 6:06am

As'Salaamu Alaikum brother MOCKBA,

good post, in addition to what Hadith mentions concerning the latter part, which, I also read in my Hadith today is it true that prior to those good deeds that we act out Allah truly has prescribed our good and bad deeds even before they are acted? I ask this because I interpreted that last Hadith reference but I may be wrong maybe you can give some insight

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic