IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - "fundamentalism"  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"fundamentalism"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
fezziwig View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fezziwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "fundamentalism"
    Posted: 23 March 2005 at 7:29am

As Israfil points out, in the US fundamentalism refers to a christian belief that the bible is literally correct in every word. I might point out that US fundamentalists believe this even tho few if any read the Greek that the bible was written in, let alone the 2000 year old Greek whose literalness may be different. I might also point out that US fundamentalists draw some very extraordinary conclusions from these words, conclusions that astound many other people. A popular conclusion is that the world will end soon: in our lifetimes! But I've been hearing this for 60 years so it no longer frightens me.

In France people often mention 'fundamentalists' when speaking about the (mostly Algerian) muslims living there who are responsible for bomb threats, etc. The common French seem not to like muslims at all, but only ascribe criminality to 'fundamentalists'.

F

Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2005 at 7:00pm
Here is my reply:

One entry found for fundamentalism.

Main Entry:     fun�da�men�tal�ism
Pronunciation:     -t&l-"i-z&m
Function:     noun
1 a often capitalized : a movement in 20th century
Protestantism emphasizing the literally interpreted Bible as
fundamental to Christian life and teaching b : the beliefs of this
movement c : adherence to such beliefs
2 : a movement or attitude stressing strict and literal adherence
to a set of basic principles
- fun�da�men�tal�ist /-t&l-ist/ noun
- fundamentalist or fun�da�men�tal�is�tic /-"men-t&l-'is-tik/
adjective

Main Entry:     ex�trem�ism
Pronunciation:     ik-'strE-"mi-z&m
Function:     noun
1 : the quality or state of being extreme
2 : advocacy of extreme political measures : RADICALISM
- ex�trem�ist /-mist/ noun or adjective

These are the differences. they have no imlication on Islam
these are both two separate ways of thought and interpretation
on a specific belief. So here is my answer
imran1976 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imran1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2005 at 9:41pm

Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

Obviously these two do not understand the definition of fundementalism and Extremism seeing how these two definitions are unrelated to religion. I would normally put my two cents in to make a quarter but this forum is not worth a dime! :)

Okay Mr.Israfil can u make me understand what's the definition of both????????

Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2005 at 8:23pm

Fezz, just to let you know Imran and Knowledge do not speak for me, even though they are Muslim. Obviously these two do not understand the definition of fundementalism and Extremism seeing how these two definitions are unrelated to religion. I would normally put my two cents in to make a quarter but this forum is not worth a dime! :)

Knowledge01 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knowledge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2005 at 6:54pm

"They" means the Amerikan white racist and oppressor media.  The daily news, they will bring so-called "news" to you but it will be in the form that they want you to know, and that is NEVER the truth.  These conditions are especially true when talking about the wars that the US government and the Bush administration have started and are still continueing such as Iraq, and soon to be Iran and Syria.  And also especially true when referring to any situation that has Islam included in it.

fezziwig View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fezziwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2005 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by Knowledge01 Knowledge01 wrote:

Originally posted by fezziwig fezziwig wrote:

Originally posted by imran1976 imran1976 wrote:

.... When the Americans say 'we are on war within Islam' ...

Where do the Americans say that? And what does it mean?

F

I live in Amerika.  It is very apparent that they are saying that in the news media, ...

Who is "they"? Do you mean the government, news, talk shows? Can you give an example?

... but they DEFINTILY plant that in the minds of Amerikans that Islam and Muslims are the terrorists and the enemy,...

Who is "they"? Do you mean GWB? Cheney? I don't remember them saying that.

F

Knowledge01 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knowledge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2005 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by fezziwig fezziwig wrote:

F

I live in Amerika.  It is very apparent that they are saying that in the news media, white media, maybe not so humbly, but they DEFINTILY plant that in the minds of Amerikans that Islam and Muslims are the terrorists and the enemy, when in all truth, the Amerikan government is the terrorists and the enemy.

fezziwig View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fezziwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2005 at 10:24am

F

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic