IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Quran & Sunnah
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Arabic --Quran-- Please help!  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Arabic --Quran-- Please help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arabic --Quran-- Please help!
    Posted: 16 July 2005 at 11:07pm

Asalaamu Alaykum.

I am really distressed today because I found out from a sister that I was essentially wasting my time reading the English translation of the Quran. She explained that it is not the same as the Arabic Quran and furthermore that the Quran is considered the Divine word of Allah (swt) ONLY in Arabic.

I later asked a third person and she confirmed what I had learned. I feel so stupid. I cannot believe that no one took the time to tell me this little bit of info. Ok so my problem is that I am overwhelmed by having to learn arabic and I don't know how or where to start. It's a beautiful language but it looks extremely difficult . I feel so lost. *frowning*   

Edited by hope
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2005 at 6:21am

Assalamu alaikum Sister Hope,

You are not wasting your time!  The word of Allah is good in any language (providing the translation of the meaning is sound).  The Qur'an is only the Qur'an in Arabic - anything else is only a translation of the meaning.  There is nothing wrong in reading the translation of the meaning in your own language.

It is good for all Muslims, if they are able, to learn to read and understand Arabic so that they can read Allah's beautiful book in its original.  Don't panic that this sounds difficult - it is all right if you still read a translation of the meaning of the Qur'an.  But, do try to learn Arabic, even a little bit - every effort you put forth in this would be greatly rewarded by Allah!

It is reported (by Bukhari and Muslim) that Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said: "A person who recites the Qur'an, and reads it fluently, will be in the company of the obedient and noble angels, and he who reads the Qur'an haltingly and with difficulty will have a double recompense."

Keep reading your english translation of the meaning of the Qur'an, but do make an effort to learn Arabic - if you are successful, alhamdulillah.  If you are not successful, at least you know (and Allah knows) that you made the effort!

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
hope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2005 at 10:37am

Asalamu Alaykum Sister Ummziba. Thank you so much for this reply. I do feel better. I understand that sister was just probably telling me the same thing  you said about trying to learn arabic (just in a different way). I am going to try to find a mosque in this area that give arabic lessons. I don't think I will have much success if I try to do it on my own. If I cannot find classes I will try to find a tutor. I will keep reading the translation but my goal is to read the Quran in it original. Inshallah. 

Jazzakallah khair.

Deus View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2005 at 10:57am

I think what's most important is that you understand what you're reading. My favourite translation is M. Asad's "The Message of The Qur'an" as it puts things in context and the footnotes help tremendously. When non-Muslims read a Quran translation by, say, Yusuf Ali, they usually misunderstand the implication of many verses. This is because they have no idea what the context is, why the verse was revealed, and when it was revealed and who it is addressing, etc. Muhammad Asad's translation provides footnotes that really put things in context.

Tasneem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tasneem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2005 at 6:53pm

Assalam-alaikum

Good post Sr Ummziba. Sr Hope don't panic. A lot of us Muslims don't know or understand Arabic because it is not our language. We learn it as a second language and most of us only know to read it and we continue to read the translation in English. Yes, some fortunate ones do learn the language too. InshaAllah you will find some kind people to help you read the Qur'an in Arabic. I have found this book very helpful for someone who is starting to learn Arabic: It is called the "Qur'an Reader" by Mahmud A Kurkcu. It comes with 2 CDs. It has been published by Young Muslims of Australia. But I do hope you will find a good teacher and InshaAllah you will learn to read soon.

Noah View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2005 at 4:39pm
Peace

I really enjoy this one

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0595290353/freeminds- 20/103-2762033-5667819

here it is in webform

http://www.free-minds.org/quran/PM/P

But for study and refference i use these

http://yaqb.lrhazi.com/ a really helpfull Quran browser with acces to 5 different translations, the translitteral, the litteral meaning, the verse in arab aswell as arab written with roman letters. Powerfull stuff. My favorite is without doubt khallifas, allthough you need to be on the look out for some (a few but serious) very dodgy mistranslations in his work. Still, its pretty decent. there is Ali ,shakur, yadyda all those you know of is in there here.

Dont let anyone tell you that you cannot read, or understand the law of the Quran. You MUST read the Quran you are commanded to in several places.

"Do they not consider the Koran with care. If it had been from anyone other than God, it would contain many (Kathirun) contradictions (Ikhtelaafun-)." 4:82

"they" is you and me

"These are the verses of Allah (God) which we rehearse to you with truth. Then in what Hadith will they believe after Allah and His verses? 45:6." (admitted, the translater is God Alone aswell, and left the word hadith untranslated for effect and provocation i think. However, like it or not, the word is there)

And as far as arab being some magical special holy language. I dont buy it for a minute, because of these obvious facts.

We are to study the Quran each and everyone of us, and the one doing all the explanation needed, will be God, you just need to read.

Peace
Noah

hope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2005 at 3:40pm

Jazzakallah Khair to all of you that have helped me with this question (I really appreciate the links Noah). Let me just say that I think this sister was just encouraging me to learn arabic she never told me not to read the qu'ran in fairness to her. She is a good sister and I don't want to make her look bad. astufurallah.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic