IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Sick to death of Traditions  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sick to death of Traditions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full of Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sick to death of Traditions
    Posted: 15 August 2009 at 4:06pm
Once I said.. Oh..

if only we care for religion as we care for our customs and traditions , People frowned at me with sharp eyes as if I were telling nonsense.

If you study or follow the history, you will see that many didn't obey Allah's messengers peace be upon them them because it was a new thing which was against their traditions.

Some Islamic societies are slaves of their traditions. They worship traditions even if they are against Islam. No one rejects or objects because these are our customs and traditions. The monster they fear more than Allah.. And the worst problem is that others hear about some of them and think that Muslims are such silly minds.

Take some of these .. I don't mean any particular nationality or society.

Take this, in some traditions the man is not allowed to see his supposed wife before the wedding day, which is totally wrong in Islam. He has the complete right to see her, stay with her and talk to her before marriage. Prophet Muhammad (p.b.u.h.) recommended: "When one of you seeks a woman in marriage, and then if he is able to have a look at whom he wishes to marry, let him do so." (Abu Dawood) The would-be-spouse are allowed to see each other for matrimonial purposes under the direct supervision of their mahram relatives. This provision is expected to be conceived and executed with piety and modesty. Prophet Muhammad (p.b.u.h.) instructed: "No man has the right to be in the privacy with a woman who is not lawful for him. Satan is their third party unless there is a mahram." (Ahmad) The would-be-spouses residing in non-Muslim societies are recommended to enter into a pre-nuptial commitment to safeguard Islamic values and Muslim personal law. Some traditions say, the woman has to buy the furniture and prepare the house and that is again not in Islam.

Some say the man shouldn�t mention his wife's name in front of men. They consider that lack of his manhood. Then how do we know the names of the prophet's, peace be upon him, wives. He told the men in that known story this is Safiah, his wife.
Some families waste too much money on the weddings till the food is thrown away with garbage and they say traditions. and so on.

I know a very long list of traditions which are against the true Islam . Why don't we stop them??? I always ask this question to people around me and they get so mad because it shows the disobedient to their worshiped god.. traditions..

But what is if we care for Allah and Islam more than traditions?? What is if we follow Qura'an and Sunnah and leave behind us those poor and useless traditions??? I hope they answer me.. but they keep silent..

Edited by Full of Hopes - 28 August 2009 at 1:23pm
And whoever seeks a religion other than Isl�m, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers(3:85)
Pati View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2009 at 1:26am
I agree with you, Full of Hopes.

It's the same in all religions, I think, because as Christians, we have some minorities that are keeping outdated traditions even in higher level than God and Bible.

I find it very serious, because it's giving everyone a wrong understanding of the religion.

For instance, I know someone from an arabic country who spent 60.000� in his wedding!!! It's more expensive than a house!!! For me, it is an insult to God, and I told him. But it seems that the bride was who organized everything, and he just paid (10.000� were just gold jewls for the bride Confused).

Another point, is the lack of understanding between the couple before getting married. Unfortunately, the people that our parents like are not the same people that we like, so... are they easy to choose the person who is going to be with their daughter the rest of her life, and who is going to be the father of her children? I don't think so.

What I know about this situations, is that of course after sometimes you start loving the other person, but it's not natural love, it's coming from the dependency, from the time spent together, etc... It's not usual (I don't mean impossible) to find your true love through your parents. And lot of these men are looking for something else outside the marriage, because they don't feel satisfied with their wives in lot of aspects (not only in their private life).

I feel sorry for all that, because something I know for sure is that to build a durable house, you must start by its foundations.

My parents are for me the best example: they were on relation before they got married for more than 2 years, and they were talking about everything in opened way before (but they never stayed alone). Last Friday, they celebrated their 31st Anniversary, and now, without children around, without working, etc..., they are like just married!! They are like children, always inviting people for dinner, going here and there, and over everything, together. Just the way my father kiss my mother every morning when she wakes up (because she is always the last one LOL ), makes me realize how much they love each other.

I think it's very important to know each other before sharing the rest of their lives, and I don't accept these people who say that they have the rest of their lives to know each other... I would never be able, for instance, to go with someone I don't know and start sharing everything suddenly, it would be very difficult!! Even if he was my husband, the situation is too much forced. I prefer to look at his eyes before and to meet myself looking at theses eyes the rest of my life, like my parents did.

No God wants the killing, but the peace.
The weapons are carried by people, not by religions.
Saladin View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saladin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2009 at 11:02am
Too bad, many Muslims have placed up on their heads the superstitions and jahiliyah traditions our Prophet crushed under his feet.

Now I know some conservative of the conservatives but in what wazzockland people cant see their prospective spouse?? Unbelievable!

'Trust everyone but not the devil in them'
Full of Hopes View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full of Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2009 at 11:14am
My sister Patricia...

I agree with you up to a point. I know how traditions give a vague idea about the religion.

You really surprised me when you said you also have these poor traditions.
It is good that you could stop them. But we are still trying..

But there is something I need to make it clear.

In Islam and am not here talking about traditions:

If a man wishes to marry a particular woman, he goes to her father and request to marry his daughter politely.

Then he has the right to see her, talk to her and stay with her.

But some traditions prevents him from this right.

That is what I am against because it is not fair.

But some families postpone the wedding for a year or so to let them know each other more but that has to be after marriage.

But in Islam: women are not allowed to make illegal relationships with men.

Woman in Islam is a precious diamond.

No on is allowed to touch her or see her body without Allah's permission.

We are very spoiled queens�

At the and, I say..

I know so many successful Islamic marriages in my family and out of the family.

On the other hand, I know so many people got married

after love and a strong relationship then had very serious problems and troubles till they got
divorced. ..........    

Edited by Full of Hopes - 16 August 2009 at 11:58am
And whoever seeks a religion other than Isl�m, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers(3:85)
Full of Hopes View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full of Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2009 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Saladin Saladin wrote:

Too bad, many Muslims have placed up on their heads the superstitions and jahiliyah traditions our Prophet crushed under his feet.

Now I know some conservative of the conservatives but in what wazzockland people cant see their prospective spouse?? Unbelievable!

That is definitely true. We are still suffering from Jahilai and misunderstanding of the true Islam..

How sad!!!
Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2009 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by Full of Hopes Full of Hopes wrote:

Originally posted by Saladin Saladin wrote:

That is definitely true. We are still suffering from Jahilai and misunderstanding of the true Islam..

How sad!!!

It is just not traditions only... could you look over and tell me what was happening to the Muslim Ummah before it got occupied,colonized, fractionalized & neo colonized...I think it went into devolution and anyone talking traditions is living in the fools Paradise...
What ever faux tribal traditions albeit unIslamic are facade for the show only to cover up the weakness of fractured Ummah...Just look around and tell me aren't the western manufactured royalty and dictatorial regimes over lording the illiterate Muslim masses also the part of tradition these days? Somehow the illiterate masses seems to be traditions too...If my grand pa was an illiterate fella then that is a tradition too stay illiterate ... LOL
What the Ummah needs is real education and freedom from yoke of neo colonialism only then you can decide what are toxic traditions and what are not...
The Israelite were in wilderness for forty years to let go of the toxic traditions they had taken on and I am not sure the time of wilderness has arrived yet for Muslims... or they are in it but don't want to realize it...at least most of them...my 2 cents more later inshallah

Edited by Sign*Reader - 17 August 2009 at 1:08am
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2009 at 3:49am
What the Ummah needs is real education and freedom from yoke of neo colonialism only then you can decide what are toxic traditions and what are not...

Ahh Sign you are right to a degree. But we are in different times. And some times the Ummah sticks its head in the sand and pretends the world is not there and wonders what happened.. why did it find itself in its state?  Unless you want to live like the Amish.. how do you separate anymore.  And how do you go back? How do places like state in Africa where there was no divide but was divided pu and destroyed by the colonization, go back? Where are the leaders to lead this??

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
SteppeNomad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteppeNomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2009 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Full of Hopes Full of Hopes wrote:

Take some of these .. I don't mean

any special nationality or society. My blood is a

mixture of more than two countries.
Take this, in some

traditions the man is not allowed to see his supposed

wife before the wedding day, which is totally wrong in Islam.

He has the complete right to see her, stay with her and

talk to her before marriage. Some traditions say,

the woman has to buy the furniture and prepare the house and that is again not in Islam.

Some say the man shouldn�t mention his wife's name in

front of men. They consider that lack of his manhood.

By any chance are you south Asian? like Bengali, Indian?

No offense to anyone from there, just asking.....

But, I dont think tradition/culture is to blame, tradition or at least culture is what makes us unique, a monotone society would be damn boring, backwardness and tradition are two separate things, Islam didnt come to destroy any ones tradition or culture, but to finish ignorance and the backwardness your referring to. No need to hate tradition fullstop or better known as have the identity crises syndrome some people have because of a few social wrongs they see.

But then I can imagine and somewhat understand when people cant marry who they want or do what they want LOL because of backwardness erhmmm sorry I mean tradition Embarrassed

Id blame those jahil smurfs Tongue.......

Edited by SteppeNomad - 17 August 2009 at 12:39pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic