IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Question about the Prophet  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question about the Prophet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2009 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by Pati Pati wrote:

Hi everyone,

I have a question about P. Muhammad (PBUH).

Is it certified any miracle he did? I mean, in the same way that Jesus did with Lazaro (a disabled person to whom Jesus asked to "stand up and walk", and did), or the multiplication of bread & fishs, or the walk over the sea...

Is it certified any miracle from the Prophet?

Thanks in advance for any answer you may give me.

Patricia

A miracle is defined as an extraordinary event happening only on the hands of a prophet, by the command of Allah swt. It is also characterized as an event that cannot be challenged or paralleled as it is not a usual event that takes place in everyday life. The invention of an airplane, for example, cannot be considered a miracle since a miracle happens only to those who have received the revelation from Allah.

Imam ash-Shafi^iyy said:" For every miracle Allah gave to the other Prophets, He gave Prophet Muhammad a similar or a greater miracle".

When the people of Prophet Salih asked him for a miracle, Allah supported Prophet Salih (peace be upon him) by bringing forth a camel and its calf from a solid rock. Upon seeing that, some people embraced Islam and others yet still did not.

Likewise, Prophet Jesus (peace be upon him) son of Lady Mariam was supported with Miracles when he called the people to the religion of Islam and to believe in the oneness of Allah. The people at the time of Prophet Jesus were renowned for their high level of skill in Medicine. The people could not match what he did by the will of Allah as He supported him with miracles such as reviving the dead and curing blindness and leprosy. These two diseases in particular were usually considered untreatable by the people of his time who were skillful in medicine. None of them were able to do what Prophet Jesus did, no one was able to revive the dead or cure the blind or cure leprosy by placing their hand on the person or wiping over his eyes. These are extraordinary events occurring only for Prophets by the will of Allah. If all the non-believers were to unite their efforts in an attempt to match a prophet�s miracle they would only be met with failure.

As for Muhammad (peace be upon him), Allah the Exalted supported him with many miracles. The people of Prophet Muhammad were famous for their Arabic language eloquence. The greatest miracle given to Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) is the Holy Qur�an, the Book which is always preserved from perversion. It is a miracle that stood the test of time lasting for centuries and remains unchallenged until the Day of Resurrection. Despite of the Arabs proficiency in the Arabic language they were unable to come up with an Ayah which is similar to a single Ayah in the Holy Qur`an. 

Amongst Prophet Muhammad�s miracles (peace be upon him), one which happened on the day of the trench. As the companions (may Allah have mercy on them) were digging they came across a large rock that they could not dig out, so they informed their leader Muhammad (peace be upon him) who took the pickaxe, said �Bismillah� three times and then hit the rock once only to see it disintegrate to the ground in the form of running sand.

On several occasions, he fed a large number of people on the diet of one person, quenched the thirst of thousands of companions with one small potful of water. He talked to the animals, trees and Jennies, foretold a large number of events, travelled to Jerusalem and heavens within a few moments time, divided and reunited the moon by pointing a finger and performed a lot of other miracles. Even when he was a child, a Christian saint recognized him as a future Prophet. The saint witnessed the trees bowing before him and a patch of cloud moving over his head as he walked.

Many such miracles happened but not a single miracle was given by Allah swt when the disbelievers demanded.

Following are few of the answers in reply to the disbelievers demand that "Why is not a sign sent down to Him from His Lord?

Have they not been given sufficient proofs (of your Prophet hood) in the previous Books (20:133)

Your mission is (not showing them the miracles) but only to give warning (of the Hereafter) (13:7)

Say, Allah is well able to send down a sign but most of them do not know (what that sign would be).(6:37)

Why is not Quran referring to the miracles, the Prophet(Pbuh) often performed inn reply to the demand?

Because, the Last Prophet(Pbuh) was not to be a guide for a certain period and certain people. The later men of the scientific age would believe in a living proof only. They would call fairy tales, the stories of the Prophet(Pbuh) conversing with trees and animals, if recorded in Quran. Besides, those who did not want to believe, always scoffed at the earlier Prophets(pbuh) when confronted with the signs, calling if sorcery, magic or trickstery. The Quran says: If thou camest unto them with a miracle, those who disbelieve would verliy exclaim: Ye are but tricksters. (30:58)

And if they behold a portent they turn away and say: Prolonged illusion! (54:2)

That is why the Almighty gave him a living sign, a final argument for the men of all ages to come. The sign is the safe and Final Word of God, The Quran.

Is it not a miracle that despite the descriptions of a large number of verses describing universe and its phenomon, not a single verse, sent down 1400 years ago can be contradicted by modern science? Is it not a miracle that the stages of creation of man, detailed by Quran cannot be challenged by medical science after 1400 years?

Is it not a miracle that a civilisation, not mentioned in any earlier scripture or historical record, was excavated in the desert of Oman after 5000 years in 1992 and the Quran had described its details at more than a dozen places!

The Quran had claimed 1400 years ago that its authenticity will increase with the passage of the universe.

But it is plain miracles (hidden for the time) inside the hearts of those endowed with (scientific) knowledge. Only the wrong doers deny our signs. And (yet) they say, why are not portents sent down upon him from his Lord? say: Portents are with Allah (to be made manifest in time) and my mission is only to give plain warning. (29:49,50)

We shall show them our portents on the horizons and within themselves until it will be manifest unto them that it (The Quran) is the Truth (14:53) - Source {islamic voice, darul Ifta}

And yes when the miracle of splitting of moon was shown {not on there demand], they just called it magic.Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) did perform miracles, however in the eyes of the disbelievers this was nothing more than magic and they still kept on demanding signs. Just because they did not receive the specific signs that they asked for that does not mean that no signs were showed to them at all.

And yes Pati, even while their demands of signs were fulfilled by Allah's permission, these disbelievers, did not accept them as Prophet. Musa AS, Isa , Salih AS, likewise all the Prophets who showed miracles by the permission of Allah swt, had very few followers. If people had to believe they believe, they don't need miracles.

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
Pati View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2009 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by honeto honeto wrote:

Hola Pati,
let me ask you a question: In Catholicism who is refered to as " Madre de Dios" ??

Take care,
Hasan

Hola Hasan,

Yes, it is. Maria, Madre de Dios. And we refer to the Church as the "Santa Madre Iglesia" too (Saint Mother Church).

Because for us, Maria was the mother of God, the mother of Jesus who was part of God and God as the same time (not engendered by God, just created).

Originally posted by salahuddeen2009 salahuddeen2009 wrote:

salam Patti
you said(For us, Jesus during His stay on Earth was God's Son (Special Creation), but after His Death, He became part of God, coming back to His origins. I don't find any contradiction there.)
Do doyou mean that God was Incomplete!!till jesus Died!!?

Do you mean God has a shape? Do you mean God is finite? Do you mean God is something material?

I don't think so, sorry. God is complete, never uncomplete. God is perfection, never makes any mistake. God is good, nothing bad comes from Him.

Salams,
No God wants the killing, but the peace.
The weapons are carried by people, not by religions.
salahuddeen2009 View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salahuddeen2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2009 at 5:42pm
 salam Patti
you said(For us, Jesus during His stay on Earth was God's Son (Special Creation), but after His Death, He became part of God, coming back to His origins. I don't find any contradiction there.)
Do doyou mean that God was Incomplete!!till jesus Died!!?
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2009 at 3:30pm
Hola Pati,
let me ask you a question: In Catholicism who is refered to as " Madre de Dios" ??

Take care,
Hasan
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

Pati View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2009 at 2:15pm
Salams Hasan,

For us, Jesus during His stay on Earth was God's Son (Special Creation), but after His Death, He became part of God, coming back to His origins. I don't find any contradiction there.

We don't say Jesus was God, even pretending to be during the time He was on Earth. That's not truth. But the truth which came from His miracles was the Holly presence He was always representing.

Maybe my way to explain it was not the right one, but I hope this time the words are fitting what I want to say.

Regarding the staying of Jesus on Earth, well, for us as Catholics, He came to save the Humanity from any sin. Through Him, God gave us a chance to believe on Him, to stop fighting and follow His Holly Word... Just an example: Jesus did never fight (just in the Synagogue, when it was full of usurers). The people who believed His words, followed him without asking for anything.

For us, they (Jews and Romans) killed Him because they were afraid from the Word of God, from His Message. They were afraid from someone who was making miracles, convincing people just talking to them, making only good things for everyone, not insulting, not fighting... in that time, it was not good to be this way, and that's why Jesus became the objective to kill.

Jesus was expressing a Message of peace, understanding between different people, against wars and kills, and every bad feeling a human being may have. If you want to control a population, they should have every kind of bad feelings to other people, you have to start looking for someone to blame for everything... and suddenly, Jesus appeared: with knowledge of God's Word, from childhood, impeccable behaviour, accepting everyone who was coming to Him (for instance, Maria Madgalena, a prostitute who became one of his most faithful followers)... Jews and Romans were afraid from the goodness, and from losing control on their land. Just that.

But we are not used to learn from mistakes. And I am sure that if God would give us another chance, the humanity would answer the same.

Regards.
Patricia

honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2009 at 12:26pm
Hi Pati,
as you have known by now that Islamic understanding is that the miracles were done through God's prophets only with God's help and permission. No one else can give life except God, if any prophets were able to do so, we must remember that they did it through their Creator alone. They themselves could not delay or extend their own lives by a minute without the will and work of God.
Miracles were to show to the people that the prophets were from God. We see in the Scriptures that God did show many miracles through many prophets, but those who were to reject God and His messengers still made fun of them and called them magicians and did not believe them. Jesus' example is clear, you think if those who disbelieved were shown a miracle they will believe? That did not happen with him neither, those who were bound to hell did not believe in him to be from God, they pursued him till they were about to kill him, and according to Islamic teaching, God saved his sevent from humiliation, honored him by raising him up to Himself, yet another, even this miracle for the disbelievers was not enough.
So, If you are asking, if prophet Mohammed (pbuh) did miracles like Jesus (pbuh) is said to have done. My simple answer will be no (and any one, please correct me if I am wrong) same way what miracles Moses may have done would probably be different than those done by David (pbuh).
I agree with those who say, the Quran is a miracle God did through prophet Mohammed (pbuh), something we can say Jesus did not have! as prophet Mohammed was an illiterate man, while Jesus, according to the Bible was well versed in Jewish Law and scripture.
Like I said, it is the purpose for which God sent messengers most important and of interest than what miracles they brought with them or were given.

I see your statement "for US as Christians Jesus was God" and "Jesus was sent to the Earth by God in the way of his Son" as contradictory.

This contradiction is further reinforced by this statement of yours: "The Father (God) shows the Son (Jesus) everything He Himself does (miracles). The same way that any father in this world will teach his son everything he knows."
Since, we all agree that God is All Knowing, All Aware, does God need learning about things, the Creator of All, need to be taught? like I teach my daughters everything I know (I only have daughters, Alhumdolillah), It seems odd and it is wrong to think. God is not taught, nor He needs to know, He is self sufficiant, All Knowledgeable.
I must say, your undestanding of Who God really is, needs some attention sister.

Also, I don't think you will disagree with me that God who is One, does not have two wills, the All Knower Must have One Will. This quote from the Bible makes a point, and I hope you are able to see it:
"Luke 22:42
"Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done."

You say, "he (Jesus) is God for us, and Muslim take him as a prophet"

I believe I have quoted this before, but here it is again: "...But Jesus said to them, "Only in his hometown and in his own house is a prophet without honor."
And this quote is from NT Matthew 13:57
Al least two visible points here: First, Jesus is declaring his prophethood. Second he is acknowledging being dishonored. 
Have we grown in our understanding yet that there is none who can reach God in order to dishonor Him.

May God Almighty guide those who seek His guidance, in truth for their own good, Ameen.

Hasan

Edited by honeto - 16 September 2009 at 1:11pm
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

salahuddeen2009 View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salahuddeen2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2009 at 12:25pm
salam sisterPati
You picked only one phrase& made your comment about it,but you left the other phrases,in summary you didnt answer the following questions:
1)could jesus do any miracle by his own POWER?yes or no?(according to the past phrases from the Bible the answer is a BIG "NOOOOOOOOO"

2)why did jesus pray many times to God?is jesus a Deficient God who needs the help of His God?or in a better way,is he not a God at all?
(LOGIC THINKING SAYS THAT GOD SHOULD BE "SELF-SUFFICIENT",not needing to pray,kneel nor put his face in the ground for his "own god"!!)!!Exclamation

3)you said that( I don't mean Father in phisical way, we don't mean that God "engendered" Jesus, just that God sent Jesus in the way of His Son)your statement here  means that jesus isn't Physical son of God,so can you explain to me these 2 phrases in the bible,to clarify the concept of FATHERHOOD that you believe in:

Joh 8:42 -  
Jesus said to them, "If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and now am here. I have not come on my own; but he sent me.
Joh 20:17 
Jesus said, "Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet returned to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, 'I am returning to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.'"

My questions here are 2 also:

Firstly:what's the difference between the fatherhood of God to Jesus & the fatherhood of God to the audience(ordinary people) in the past two phrases(according to islamic scholars we believe that the word father in the Bible is a mistranslation of the word Guardian,in Aramic,that's all,because Allah,God,stated in the Holy Qur'an that He's father of No One,Fatherhood doesn't fit with His Majesty),
All what you need  you to do is  just to remove the word father from the past two phrases& put the word Guardian,then the confusion will be OVER,just as simple as that,you can do the same by replacing the word Son of God,by the word Slave of God then go & RE-read the new testament with these 2 CORRECTIONs

Secondly:Who's the God Of Jesus ,according to his speach in John 20:17?can  God be the God of a part of himself(is this what you believe,sister)????!!Ermm
I'll suumarize your belief to you,I want you just to read it loudly,to yourself,then ask yourself (IS THis The TRUTH?! Is This what you feel comfort with?)

This's what you believe,as a catholic Christian,:

GOD HAD SENT GOD (BOTH OF THEM ARE ONE) TO BE KILLED ON THE CROSS AFTER GOD PRAYED  TO GOD TO RELIEVE GOD'S PASSIONS ,BUT GOD WANTED ALL THIS SUFFERINGS TO HAPPEN TO GOD  IN ORDER THAT GOD WOULD FORGIVE HUMANS FOR A SIN THAT GOD KNOWS FOR SURE THAT THEY HAD NO HAND  IN IT,BUT IT MADE GOD GET ANGRY WITH ALL OF THEM!!

IN SUMMARY: GOD HAD SENT GOD TO MAKE  GOD  SUFFER TILL GOD'S DEATH ON THE CROSS ,TO MAKE GOD HAPPY !! 

ISN'T THIS WHAT YOU BELIEVE?SISTER?

OH MY GOD!!!Stern%20SmileTHE BELIEF OF SOMEONE SHOULD BE AT LEAST ""LOGIC""!!

Sister,
we are now in the last days of the holy month of Ramadan,we as muslims obeyed God's orders by withstanding the sufferings of fasting the 30 days of Ramadan,to show Him our loyalty,BUT YOU DID NOT,you were just eating & drinking,& DENYING ALL THESE OBLIGATIONS,sister
we spent the Nights doing salat & reciting the Holy Quran(the last Testament of God to the Humans,BUT YOU DID NOT,you were just sleeping & DENYING all this ,sister
we pray 5 times daily(Salat) in the way That Allah(God of Adam,Abraham,Moses,David,Jesus&Mohammad)had ordered us to do,,,BUT YOU DID NOT,you were just enjoying your life & DENYING ALL THESE OBLIGATORY SALATS,sister

then after all this,you say:I'm in peace with GOD!!??
IS THIS LOGIC<SISTER>???

GOD SAYS IN THE  HOLY QUR'AN,SURA 5:116-120:
116. And (remember) when All�h will say (on the Day of Resurrection): "O ��s� (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary)! Did you say unto men: �Worship me and my mother as two gods besides All�h?� " He will say: "Glory be to You! It was not for me to say what I had no right (to say). Had I said such a thing, You would surely have known it. You know what is in my inner-self though I do not know what is in Yours; truly, You, only You, are the All-Knower of all that is hidden (and unseen).

117. "Never did I say to them aught except what You (All�h) did command me to say: �Worship All�h, my Lord and your Lord.� And I was a witness over them while I dwelt amongst them, but when You took me up, You were the Watcher over them; and You are a Witness to all things. (This is a great admonition and warning to the Christians of the whole world).

118. "If You punish them, they are Your slaves, and if You forgive them, verily You, only You, are the All-Mighty, the All-Wise[1]."

119. All�h will say: "This is a Day on which the truthful will profit from their truth: theirs are Gardens under which rivers flow (in Paradise) - they shall abide therein forever. All�h is pleased with them and they with Him. That is the great success (Paradise).

120. To All�h belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth and all that is therein, and He is Able to do all things.

Edited by salahuddeen2009 - 16 September 2009 at 5:08pm
Pati View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2009 at 1:10pm
Hi Salahuddeen2009,

Thank you very much for your long and documented post.

If you allow me, I will start with a quote from the Bible, including something you quoted too (From John, Chapter #5):

16 It was because he did things like this on the Sabbath that the Jews began to harass Jesus. 
17 His answer to them was, 'My Father still goes on working, and I am at work, too.' 
18 But that only made the Jews even more intent on killing him, because not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he spoke of God as his own Father and so made himself God's equal. 
19 To this Jesus replied: In all truth I tell you, by himself the Son can do nothing; he can do only what he sees the Father doing: and whatever the Father does the Son does too. 
20 For the Father loves the Son and shows him everything he himself does, and he will show him even greater things than these, works that will astonish you. 
There is no mistake in what I said, there is only a disagreement because, again, for US as Christians Jesus was God, and for you as Muslims Jesus was only a Prophet.

When the Bible says "God's Son", we mean, Jesus was sent to the Earth by God in the way of his Son, part of him (and I don't mean Father in phisical way, we don't mean that God "engendered" Jesus, just that God sent Jesus in the way of His Son). In the name of the Father (God), de Son (Jesus) and the Holly Spirit (Faith), that's how we start our prays as Catholics.

Just note what the verse #20 says: The Father (God) shows the Son (Jesus) everything He Himself does (miracles). The same way that any father in this world will teach his son everything he knows.

So, for us, Jesus was doing the miracles following the teachings of his Father (God), and at the same time, as part of Him.

Regards

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic