IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Tax / Jizyah  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tax / Jizyah

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2009 at 11:53pm
I am just wondering why is Jizyah a matter of concern when the Khalafa is no more and most Muslim lands are under EU/US boots?
The world has moved on and let's find a country that has the standing to do Jizyah levy first!

Btw the talk of taxes the rich American kids don't go to fight America's wars but look what their parents end up paying...1.5% of top earning families paid more than 50% of the taxes...

How about this killer Jizyah on the rich in the US and Obama is asking to raise it even higher...At least the moneyed folks of the time had draft killed after the Vietnam fiasco...remember then the smart draft dodger Clinton who ended up becoming the PrezWink after all....
This is reality to talk about than centuries old civil defense tax(Jizyah) in place of executions of the enemy's males like the Spain/US did to the Moors & Indians or sending them to the concentration camps like the Japanese during WWII...

Edited by Sign*Reader - 10 August 2009 at 9:32am
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2009 at 9:01am
Sign,

I was reading a really good book called "The Lies They Taught you in School."

One point was that rich folks opposed the Vietnam War. When they were the LAST to oppose the war. It was not them being drafted and sent to kill people  and die for an unclear reason.

I guess since the poor pay the taxes they get drafted first. Many of  them were not able to run to college and hide.
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Gibbs View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gibbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2009 at 2:18pm
"The jizyah tax was only for young non-Mulsim men who refused to serve in the military while living under Islamic rule."

Are you sure? Because in the Ummayad dynasty families had to pay taxes and nothing was said about serving in the military

Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2009 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by PattyaMainer PattyaMainer wrote:

Shasta, the draft in the US was dropped after the Vietnam War in 1973.  What we have had since then is an all volunteer military.  The military member voluntarily enlist.  At age 18 they are required to enroll with the military in the event of an all out war.....then they would bring back the draft and these men could be drafted.  Actually, young men and women are enlisting in great numbers in the military.  Here are the statistics:

The Department of Defense has announced its recruiting and retention statistics by the active and reserve components for the FY 2006 recruiting year.

Active duty recruiting. All services have met or exceeded their recruiting goals for fiscal 2006.

Active duty retention. Overall, the active duty services exceeded retention goals across the board. The Army, Air Force and Marine Corps exceeded fiscal 2006 retention goals in every category. The Navy retained in high numbers at the outset of the year, but a focus on physical fitness test performance led to an increase in disqualification among first-term sailors.

Reserve forces recruiting. Two of six Reserve components met or exceeded their accession goals for fiscal 2006, while two other Reserve components, the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard were close to making their end of year goals. Although the Army Reserve fell short of its annual accession goal, the U.S. Army Recruiting Command achieved 99+percent of its annual recruiting goal.

Componant Accessions Goal Percent
Army
80,000 101
Navy
36,656 100
Marine Corps
32,337 32,301 100
Air Force
30,750 100
Army National Guard 69,042 70,000 99
Army Reserve
34,379 36,032 95
Navy Reserve
9,722 11,180 87
Marine Corps Reserve
8,056 8,024 100
Air National Guard
9,138 9,380
Air Force Reserve 6,989 6,607 106

It seems apparent that these young folks are willingly joining the US military.  There is no draft, but they realize they have an opportunity for obtaining an education, housing, health care, etc., etc.  Many members have studied and received college educations while serving in the armed forces.  The number of military who are re-enlisting are increasing as well. I hope this offers an explanation showing our young people are in no way forced to join the service.

Best regards,
Patty

What is the point in posting old stats ? Your explanation is dated...
The young people who are joining most of them are illegal Latins dumb enough to gamble for the US citizenship...
DON'T HIDE UNDER SOME ROCK IN MAINE AND READ THIS TIME'S REPORT....

Why Are Army Recruiters Killing Themselves?

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1889152,00.html
THEY CAN'T MAKE THE QUOTA OF JUST 2 RECRUITS A MONTH....Cry
LOLAND WHEN THE EVIL CAN'T FIND WILLING RECRUITS THEY BUY SERVICES OF THE HIRED CONTRACT KILLERS FROM BLACK WATER NOW KNOWN AS (Xe= executioners for the cross)

EVERYONE SHOULD WATCH THIS REPORT AND STOP EXPLAINING THE PROS AND CONS OF JYZYAH PLEASE...AND DON'T MISS OUT THE THE PICTURES ATTACHED TO SEE THE REALITY OF THE SURVIVORS' GRIEF...

Blackwater (Xe): Killing their critics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwrl6TBrFAE&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ealternet%2Eorg%2Fworld%2F141763%2Fexplosive%5Fallegations%253A%5Fblackwater%5Ffounder%5Fimplicated%5Fin%5Fmurder%5F%2F&feature=player_embedded

Edited by Sign*Reader - 10 August 2009 at 3:42pm
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
Shasta'sAunt View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2009 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by Natassia Natassia wrote:

Originally posted by Shasta'sAunt Shasta'sAunt wrote:

"But, you've sidetracked with illegitimate tu quoque claims. The problem I have is not with taxes. The problem I have is with PREJUDICIAL taxes. Why should I have to pay a certain tax simply because of my religious beliefs? Why should I be treated like a second-class citizen?"

Considering the fact that this started out on a thread titled: Is Jesus God or not, and someone posted:

"That's okay. You can believe what you want. Christians aren't going to threaten you with execution or a jizyah tax."

Talk about sidetracking.....

Original statement that I made a response to:

I think that kind of Law is too barbaric, too cruel, too harsh, too ruthless for my understanding. As a mother, I would try my best to protect my beloved children from any kind of harm even if it will affect me physically. Much more so is God AlMighty. He has the Power, The Will, The Means to bring up His Beloved Prophet to Him, saving him from humiliation in the hands of evil people.

Here lies the contradiction of the understanding of the Power of God. Leaving your beloved servant being cruelly tortured, mercilessly crucified in the hands of the Romans and the Jews does not depict a Powerful God to me. I would say, this kind of understanding of God is inferior.

That's okay. You can believe what you want. Christians aren't going to threaten you with execution or a jizyah tax.

This was not meant as a sidetrack.  The person said that God should have saved his prophet from a humiliating death.  If God really is Almighty, He would have been reaching down and taking matters into His own hands.

Christians really believe that God is Almighty.  Therefore, they do not feel it necessary to do God's work such as forcing conversion by threats of execution or a jizyah tax and second-class status.

Yes, I can see how the torture and crucifixion of Jesus equates to the jizyah tax. thanks for clearing that up....
�No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.�
Eleanor Roosevelt
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2009 at 3:44pm
"The jizyah tax was only for young non-Mulsim men who refused to serve in the military while living under Islamic rule."

Are you sure? Because in the Ummayad dynasty families had to pay taxes and nothing was said about serving in the military"

Yes, I'm sure.

Those exempt from paying the jizyah:

-          Women and children are excused absolutely

-          Handicapped, blind and old men, even if they are rich

-          Needy and mad-men

-          Day laborers, servants or wageworkers

-          A chronically ill-man even if he is rich

-          Religious people who keep themselves free for praying and worshipping, i.e. men of churches, cloisters and oratories

-          If a non-Muslim voluntarily participates in military service for protecting the country.

-          If the Islamic state becomes unable to protect non-Muslims, then they are legally exonerated from paying the tax. (See Ibnul Qayyim, Ahkam Ahlul Dhimma, Volume1, pp.8, 15 and al-Shafi', al-Umm� pp. 172-1)

Are you holding the religion of Islam responsible for what an individual ruler decides to do? I can speak only to what Islam allows, not what individuals in power choose. Islam has strict guidelines regarding the collection of jizyah. Rulers choose to ignore these at the risk of their own punishment on the Day of Judgement.

Edited by Shasta'sAunt - 10 August 2009 at 3:53pm
Eleanor Roosevelt
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2009 at 3:57pm
"I didn't bring up jizyah in order to discuss Islamic tax code. If you notice, I was bringing up forced conversions by threat of execution or a jizyah tax. A Muslim then posted a response regarding bewilderment at non-Muslim dislike for the jizyah and the thread went from there. I was certainly not trying to divert the topic by any means."

Yeah Chrysalis, what's wrong with you! Don't you see the connection here:

Originally posted by Natassia
"Original statement that I made a response to:

"I think that kind of Law is too barbaric, too cruel, too harsh, too ruthless for my understanding. As a mother, I would try my best to protect my beloved children from any kind of harm even if it will affect me physically. Much more so is God AlMighty. He has the Power, The Will, The Means to bring up His Beloved Prophet to Him, saving him from humiliation in the hands of evil people.

Here lies the contradiction of the understanding of the Power of God. Leaving your beloved servant being cruelly tortured, mercilessly crucified in the hands of the Romans and the Jews does not depict a Powerful God to me. I would say, this kind of understanding of God is inferior."

That's okay. You can believe what you want. Christians aren't going to threaten you with execution or a jizyah tax."

Eleanor Roosevelt
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2009 at 4:00pm

"See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhimmi#Humiliation_of_dhimmis"

Humiliation of dhimmis? And we're supposed to take this seriously?

Here, let's look at some serious religious based humiliation:

May 18, 2005

If the U.S. government wants to repair the public relations damage caused by its mistreatment of detainees, it needs to investigate those who ordered or condoned this abuse, not attack those who have reported on it.

Reed Brody, special counsel for Human Rights Watch.

U.S. interrogators have repeatedly sought to offend the religious beliefs of Muslim detainees as part of their interrogation strategy, Human Rights Watch said today.

Human Rights Watch said that the dispute over the retracted allegations in Newsweek that U.S. interrogators had desecrated a Koran at Guant�namo Bay, Cuba, has overshadowed the fact that religious humiliation of detainees at Guant�namo and elsewhere has been widespread.

�In detention centers around the world, the United States has been humiliating Muslim prisoners by offending their religious beliefs,� said Reed Brody, special counsel for Human Rights Watch.

On December 2, 2002, U.S. Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld authorized a list of techniques for interrogation of prisoners at Guant�namo, which included �removal of all comfort items (including religious items),� �forced grooming (shaving of facial hair, etc.),� and �removal of clothing.� Each of these practices is considered offensive to many Muslims. These techniques were later applied in Afghanistan and Iraq as well.

The purpose of these techniques, Human Rights Watch said, is to inflict humiliation on detainees, which is strictly prohibited by the Geneva Conventions.

Several former detainees have said that U.S. interrogators disrespected the Koran. Three Britons released from Guant�namo have alleged that the Koran was kicked and thrown in the toilet. A former Russian detainee, Aryat Vahitov, has reportedly made the same claim. A former Kuwaiti detainee, Nasser Nijer Naser al-Mutairi, has said that the throwing of a Koran on the floor led to a hunger strike at Guant�namo that ended only after a senior officer expressed regret over the camp's loudspeaker. Human Rights Watch also interviewed detainees who described a protest at a U.S. detention site at Kandahar airbase in Afghanistan in early 2002 that was set off by a guard�s alleged desecration of the Koran.

Erik Saar, a former Army translator at Guant�namo, has described a female interrogator wiping a detainee with what the prisoner was made to believe was menstrual blood.

U.S. personnel have also used dogs as part of the interrogation process, which�in addition to inducing fear�many Muslims consider to be unclean. In December 2002, Secretary Rumsfeld approved �using detainees� individual phobias (such as fear of dogs) to induce stress� at Guant�namo. Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez, then the top U.S. commander in Iraq, authorized Abu Ghraib interrogators in September 2003 to �exploit Arab fear of dogs. � The interrogators then used dogs on detainees in a manner that was captured in the Abu Ghraib photographs.

On Tuesday, White House spokesman Scott McClellan, referring to the �serious consequences� and �lasting damage� to the U.S. image, called on Newsweek to �help repair some of the damage� that was done by its report. But Human Rights Watch said that it was U.S. policies that had inflicted the greatest amount of damage.

Newsweek was not to blame for the damage inflicted in the riots, Human Rights Watch said.

�The damage in the riots was directly caused by violent protestors and poorly disciplined Afghan police and troops, not by Newsweek�s editors,� said Brody.

Human Rights Watch noted that the Newsweek story would not have resonated had it not been for the United States� extensive abuse of Muslim detainees.

�If the U.S. government wants to repair the public relations damage caused by its mistreatment of detainees, it needs to investigate those who ordered or condoned this abuse, not attack those who have reported on it,� said Brody.

Common Article 3 to the Geneva Conventions, which sets out minimum requirements for the treatment of persons in armed conflicts, requires detainees to be treated humanely without adverse distinction based on religion or faith. Outrages upon personal dignity are prohibited, in particular humiliating and degrading treatment.

Edited by Shasta'sAunt - 10 August 2009 at 4:06pm
Eleanor Roosevelt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic