IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Tax / Jizyah  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tax / Jizyah

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Shasta'sAunt View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tax / Jizyah
    Posted: 19 August 2009 at 9:07am
Originally posted by Hayfa Hayfa wrote:

your whole being here is dishonest.. lol

you have lo interest in actually learning about Islam... just attack attack attack.

that red herring... fishy smell that it is...lol 

I thought Christians were supposed to be fishers of men, not men with fish......

�No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.�
Eleanor Roosevelt
Natassia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natassia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2009 at 5:28am
Originally posted by Hayfa Hayfa wrote:

you have lo interest in actually learning about Islam... just attack attack attack.

More misuse of vocabulary.

Why am I not surprised?

Tell me...how have I attacked you?
You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life. (John 5:39-40)
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2009 at 3:29am

Edited by Hayfa - 19 August 2009 at 3:30am
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Natassia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natassia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2009 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Shasta'sAunt Shasta'sAunt wrote:

I understand what a red herring is. I've been watching you throw them out all over the Forum. You're very good at it, but I recognise a ringer when I read one.

A ringer?

When have I been dishonest?
You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life. (John 5:39-40)
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2009 at 1:06am
Also, all of that copy-pasting you did to show persecution of Muslims?

An exercise in logical fallacy:

Ad hominem tu quoque

Red herring

I understand what a red herring is. I've been watching you throw them out all over the Forum. You're very good at it, but I recognise a ringer when I read one.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Natassia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natassia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2009 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Shasta'sAunt Shasta'sAunt wrote:

The jizyah tax was only for young non-Mulsim men who refused to serve in the military while living under Islamic rule. They were being protected by the military so if they refused to serve, and they had that right, they were taxed.

Unlike the military draft which has been used in the United States and other predominantly Christian countries for centuries, where the young men do not get a choice, they serve or go to prison. Or mandatory service which is used in Israel and other "Christian" countries, where upon your 18th birthday you are automatically expected to report for duty. Failure to do so results in prison or sometimes worse.

I don't understand why Christians always point to the jizyah as something so horrible. Which system is more fair? The option to opt out and pay a tax or forced military service or prison? Let's see, forced to kill or prison, forced to kill or prison.... hmmmmmmmm
I am pretty sure if the U.S. gave the option to pay a tax instead of forced military service during times of war millions of young people would happily do so.

As for threatening death, it wasn't Muslims torturing all those people during the Inquisitions, the witch hunts, etc... The Quran clearly states there is no compulsion in religion, you can't force someone to believe in God. They either do or they don't.

I provided Islamic sources (Tafsir Ibn Kathir and Tanw�r al-Miqb�s min Tafs�r Ibn �Abb�s) proving that the Jizya is meant to be a tax of humiliation upon a group of people purely for their differences in religious beliefs.

And I find it interesting that you use the phrase "predominately Christian country" when the United States has a strict policy of separation of Church and State.  Please review the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

The military draft in America has not been used since the Vietnam War.  The purpose of the draft is to protect American interests.  It is not to propogate any particular religion or wipe out any particular religion.

And a forced tax does not protect a nation.

Tafsir al-Jalalayn for Quran 9:29
Fight those who do not believe in God, nor in the Last Day, for, otherwise, they would have believed in the Prophet (s), and who do not forbid what God and His Messenger have forbidden, such as wine, nor do they practise the religion of truth, the firm one, the one that abrogated other religions, namely, the religion of Islam � from among of those who (min, �from�, explains [the previous] alladhīna, �those who�) have been given the Scripture, namely, the Jews and the Christians, until they pay the jizya tribute, the annual tax imposed them, readily (�an yadin is a circumstantial qualifier, meaning, �compliantly�, or �by their own hands�, not delegating it [to others to pay]), being subdued, [being made] submissive and compliant to the authority of Islam.

Sayyid Abul Ala Maududi - Tafhim al-Qur'an for Quran 9:29
Fight with those from among the people of the Book, who do not believe in Allah nor in the Last Day;26 who do not make unlawful that which Allah and His Messenger have made unlawful,27 and do not adopt the Right way as their way. (Fight with them) until they pay Jizyah with their own hands and are humbled.28

26 Though the people of the Book professed to believe in Allah and the Hereafter, in fact they believed in neither. For only that person really believes in Allah who acknowledges Him as the only One God and the only One Lord, and does not associate with Him any other, whatsoever, in His Being, in His characteristics, in His rights and in His powers and authority. But according to this definition of shirk both the Christians and the Jews were guilty of shirk as has been made plain in the verses that follow: therefore their profession of belief in Allah was meaningless. Likewise they did not really believe in the Hereafter, in spite of the fact that they believed in Resurrection. For it is not enough: one must also believe that on that Day absolute justice will be done on the basis of one's belief and actions. One should also believe that no ransom and no expiation and no 'spiritual' relationships with any 'saint' shall be of any avail on that Day. It is absolutely meaningless to believe in the Hereafter without this. And the Jews and the Christians had polluted their faiths because they believed that such things would protect them against justice on that Day.

27 The second reason why Jihad should be waged against them is that they did not adopt the Law sent down by Allah through His Messenger. 

28 This is the aim of Jihad with the Jews and the Christians and it is not to force them to become Muslims and adopt the `Islamic Way of Life.' They should be forced to pay Jizyah in order to put an end to their independence and supremacy so that they should not remain rulers and sovereigns in the land. These powers should be wrested from them by the followers of the true Faith, who should assume the sovereignty and lead others towards the Right Way, while they should become their subjects and pay jizyah.  Jizyah is paid by those non-Muslims who live as Zimmis (proteges) in an Islamic State, in exchange for the security and protection granted to them by it. This is also symbolical of the fact that they themselves agree to live in it as its subjects. This is the significance of "..... they Pay jizyah with their own hands," that is, "with full consent so that they willingly become the subjects of the Believers, who perform the duty of the vicegerents of Allah on the earth. "

At first this Command applied only to the Jews and the Christians. Then the Holy Prophet himself extended it to the Zoroastrians also. After his death, his Companions unanimously applied this rule to all the non-Muslim nations outside Arabia.

This is jizyah " of which the Muslims have been feeling apologetic during the last two centuries of their degeneration and there are still some people who continue to apologize for it. But the Way of Allah is straight and clear and does not stand in need of any apology to the rebels against Allah. Instead of offering apologies on behalf of Islam for the measure that guarantees security of life, property and faith to those who choose to live under its protection, the Muslims should feel proud of such a humane law as that of jizyah. For it is obvious that the maximum freedom that can be allowed to those who do not adopt the Way of Allah but choose to tread the ways of error is that they should be tolerated to lead the life they like. That is why the Islamic State offers them protection, if they agree to live as its Zimmis by paying jizyah, but it cannot allow that they should remain supreme rulers in any place and establish wrong ways and impose them on others. As this state of things inevitably produces chaos and disorder, it is the duty of the true Muslims to exert their utmost to bring to an end their wicked rule and bring them under a righteous order.

As regards the question, "What do the non-Muslims get in return for Jizyah " it may suffice to say that it is the price of the freedom which the Islamic State allows them in following their erroneous ways, while living in the jurisdiction of Islam and enjoying its protection. The money thus collected is spent in maintaining the righteous administration that gives them the freedom and protects their rights. This also serves as a yearly reminder to them that they have been deprived of the honor of paying Zakat in the Way of Allah, and forced to pay jizyah instead as a price of following the ways of error. 

Natassia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natassia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2009 at 8:22am
@ Shasta's Aunt

I already explained the meaning of my statement:

I think that kind of Law is too barbaric, too cruel, too harsh, too ruthless for my understanding. As a mother, I would try my best to protect my beloved children from any kind of harm even if it will affect me physically. Much more so is God AlMighty. He has the Power, The Will, The Means to bring up His Beloved Prophet to Him, saving him from humiliation in the hands of evil people.

Here lies the contradiction of the understanding of the Power of God. Leaving your beloved servant being cruelly tortured, mercilessly crucified in the hands of the Romans and the Jews does not depict a Powerful God to me. I would say, this kind of understanding of God is inferior.

That's okay. You can believe what you want. Christians aren't going to threaten you with execution or a jizyah tax.

This was not meant as a sidetrack.  The person said that God should have saved his prophet from a humiliating death.  If God really is Almighty, He would have been reaching down and taking matters into His own hands.

Christians really believe that God is Almighty.  Therefore, they do not feel it necessary to do God's work such as forcing conversion by threats of execution or a jizyah tax and second-class status.

Also, all of that copy-pasting you did to show persecution of Muslims?

An exercise in logical fallacy:

Ad hominem tu quoque

Red herring

(Please research those.)
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2009 at 4:24pm

Kinda makes paying taxes not so humiliating.....

Eleanor Roosevelt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic