IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - First Wife in Polygamy  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First Wife in Polygamy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2009 at 11:24pm
[QUOTE=Pati] 
But I believe that lot of the cases where the husband is abusing, are coming from this situations where he is not pleased, maybe not feeling enough for his wife... and I am talking about general situations in the marriage, not only about muslims.

I will make an example: in old times, the women didn't say in public that their husbands where bitting them because the society where not caring about it, or, what is worst, the people reaction was to say "she should have done something really bad". The real problem, sometimes, is not what you want to do, you may have clear ideas, the real problem is the answer of the society. [/Quote]

Yes. All the above are examples of cultural taboo, social supression, and age-old notions . . . something Islam goes against. The answer to these problems for muslim societies would be to get in touch with the essence of Islam. Ahadith and Prophetic traditions teach muslim men chivalry and responsibility.

Quote Is the same with the hijab or other muslim traditions. I see everyday girls in the bus, coming back home and putting hijab, removing make up... why they don't have the chance to go this way at home? Because maybe their parents would not accept them.

Leaving the hijab aside, would you say parents should accept kids no matter how they behave? They shouldnt try to intervene and fix things? If a parent bans makeup for a young pre-teen - I would fully support them. As parents, it is thier duty to make sure that thier daughter/son make age-appropriate, situation-appropriate decisions. Non-Muslim parents would also not accept thier kids behaving in a particular way, and influence thier children.

Extremism however is bad. Everyone here agrees. 

OK, but if the woman loves the first husband, why she has to renounce to him because he is sterile? Why the husband has the chance to have to wives because the first one cannot get children, but on the other side, the woman doesn't have the same choice? It's not fair, again. Don't you think? 

Islamic Polygamy exists to solve collective, social problems. Not to please or cater to a particular gender or individual.

Unfortunately, mutilple marriages for women dont solve social problems the way polygyny does. One woman marrying 2 men is inefficient allocation of social resources (couldnt come up with any other terminology! :p ).

Also, rules, laws, regulations are made/created to adderess the needs of a majority as a whole - they are not made to cater to exceptions. The scenario you explained, is an exception. Which Islam gives a solution to - but not the same solution as would be for a man, since variables involved are entirely different.

Yes, normally the husband is maintaining the wife, but in the current times, it may be possible that the wife is earning more money... what about this situation where a woman can maintain two men?

Now we are suggesting that the entire social structure be changed, in order for a woman to marry 2 men - simply so that it sounds fair to us on an emotional level. Since a male really has no purpose in life, except to father children (from a stricly biological perspective - no offence brothers) - Islam tells the man to earn and mainain his family. It is unfair to ask a woman to maintain 2 men. Why should the woman maintain 2 MEN, when it is the men who should be maintaining her? What is the man's role and responsibility then? We are asking the woman to do extra, since she is already responsible for giving birth to a family, providing maternal support, not to mention the fact that she has certain biological processes going on - which are a setback.

I gave an example in an earlier post - about a lady who is a 2nd wife. She is a professional, was controller of examinations in a renowned university. Currently she is studying abroad - her husband is financing her (though she has her own money). She is more involved in the life of the 1st wife's son than the latter lady - due to her experience and education.

Yes, but that example is supporting what I want to say: the second wife is a professional woman, independient... while the first one is depending on the husband.

My question is if two professional and independent women would accept to share their husband. Would they do?

The fact that Polygyny is an exception - gives us few examples to choose from. I myself never met a polygynous lady until couple of months ago. Some people never do. In the gulf however, educated, professional women have no issues with polygyny.

Also, this lady is professional and used to earn - but her husband supports her financially. She simply works for the experience/self satisfaction. So, its not like she is not depending on her husband. . . she is. Both women depend equally on him. Not because they have to. But because they choose to.

Edited by Chrysalis - 14 June 2009 at 11:25pm
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2009 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by Gulliver Gulliver wrote:

Falling in love, beginning to truly love another human being is not the same as falling in lust. So separating the sexes does not necessarily prevent anything - least of all, 'falling in love'.   Sex and love are confused all the time, in all cultures and societies.

Yes Gulliver, Love and Lust are two different concepts - however within romantic relationships, both are often intermingled.

Islam does not 'segregate' sexes per se. It sets guidelines, limitations and teaches us ettiquette.

However, if these guidelines are followed - they will definitely prevent unwanted falling in love' and sex. If you follow Islamic guidelines - you will not find yourself pining after someone you cannot get or be with. Before you 'fall in love' - you need to have taken certain steps, passed certain levels and undergone certain events.

If you dont stare at the opposite sex, dont meet them in private, dont talk to them for hours on the phone/internet etc - you will find it hard to fall in love. You may have a crush - possible. But not love. You cannot love a person on first sight. So yes, Islamic guidelines do prevent such misfortunes from happening. The preliminary steps that lead to love can also lead to lust - which young people often mistake for love.  

For the record, Islam is not against love or desire. They are natural human feelings. Muslims are just supposed to be responsible about handling such feelings, and thus celebrate them within a marriage. They are not to be treated casually.

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2009 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by Saladin Saladin wrote:

This mono vs polygyny is kind of like the veganism vs non veg debates......

And the cool thing about Islam is - that all 4 are allowed. People say Islam is rigid, yet it is so flexible! You can be monogamaous, polygynous, vegan or non-vegan . . . depending on your circumstances and choice. Big%20smile

Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2009 at 3:17am
Leaving the hijab aside, would you say parents should accept kids no matter how they behave? They shouldnt try to intervene and fix things? If a parent bans makeup for a young pre-teen - I would fully support them. As parents, it is their duty to make sure that their daughter/son make age-appropriate, situation-appropriate decisions. Non-Muslim parents would also not accept their kids behaving in a particular way, and influence their children.

Yes I agree, and I think Pati when you, as you wrote in above post, that children are not being raised with values the way we might have of other generations, can you blame people for wanting their kids raised well. And really, so many kids have so little self-esteem, that is how so many young people get into trouble.

What is the man's role and responsibility then? We are asking the woman to do extra, since she is already responsible for giving birth to a family, providing maternal support, not to mention the fact that she has certain biological processes going on - which are a setback.

I agree and there is something wrong with the men living off their wives.. I've seen that not only here but in Muslim countries. The worst was seeing the women do back-breaking physical labor as their husbands, brothers, sons sat around. Irritated me to no end..

Chrsysalis, it is interesting ehat you wrote.. about love etc. And often partners in marraige both come to the marriage bed as virgins.. so the restriction is not only for men but wmen also. Of course 'men will be men' mentaility is everywhere but they too are often kept away from non family women. Which actually helps them from 'falling' in love. And that they take actually a2nd wife more seriously... and really I see the whole thing with these men, most marry again without a clue. We women can be demanding and its quite entertaining to see them hop back and forth.. and make no mistake, if a woman knows her rights she can really make him hop...lol

I think the emotional hurt from a wife whose husbands wants or does marry another, will be there period. Its like the man who has an affair or thinks of other women.

I think that is why we Muslims are told to focus on the next world, not this world. We should in fact, not get too attached. It is a challenge I do agree. But the reality is that nothing is perfect. You cannot regulate emotions.

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2009 at 8:50am

"I think the emotional hurt from a wife whose husbands wants or does marry another, will be there period. Its like the man who has an affair or thinks of other women."

Sr. Hayfa this is very true, but I think what's important is that all parties concerned enter into these most difficult relationships with a good understanding about just how devastating they can be upon an existing marriage.  Also, first wives need to know their rights and not simply think and feel somehow they are "pious" for allowing such arrangements, when it can be opposed, rejected and even placed in the marriage contract that polygamy will not be allowed.  Men can be very creative in finding excellent reasons why they should take another wife.  Second wives should carefully consider the damage done in intact families.  Often in America new female converts will embrace Islam and depend heavily for guidance upon male administrations inside Islamic centers.  This closeness often times leads to misplaced emotions and sisters falling for married men.  I think there is a good case for Islamically forbidding these marriages in the West anyway, based upon American laws which do not allow them.  A fundamental objective in Islam is 'do no harm' and when the harm outweights good we have a duty shun harmful actions - even if the action is permissible in our faith.  Husbands are advised to fear Allah with respect to their wives.  The wife should know her rights and not be pressured into thinking she is rejecting shariah due to her disliking her husband's taking another wife.  Those women seeking to marry an already married man are well advised to consider the admonition of 'wanting for your brother/sister that which you desire for yourself' along with understanding the hurt it will undoubtedly cause the first wife, and even lead to destroying her marriage. 

Edited by abuayisha - 15 June 2009 at 8:51am
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2009 at 9:55am
Originally posted by abuayisha abuayisha wrote:

I think there is a good case for Islamically forbidding these marriages in the West anyway, based upon American laws which do not allow them.  A fundamental objective in Islam is 'do no harm' and when the harm outweights good we have a duty shun harmful actions - even if the action is permissible in our faith.  Husbands are advised to fear Allah with respect to their wives.  The wife should know her rights and not be pressured into thinking she is rejecting shariah due to her disliking her husband's taking another wife. 

Due to the above mentioned reasons - and to prevent abuse of Polygyny - men in Pakistan are required by law to get written consent from thier wives before contracting a 2nd marriage.

Gulliver View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gulliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2009 at 10:27am

"I agree and there is something wrong with the men living off their wives.. I've seen that not only here but in Muslim countries. The worst was seeing the women do back-breaking physical labor as their husbands, brothers, sons sat around. Irritated me to no end.."

Irritated you Hayfa ?  I've have the lot of 'em neutered.  Useless lazy gulpins. Chop them off and be done with it, I say.

I'd have gone in there with a double barrel shotgun, and demanded, "Either get off your lazy fat a''rs'es and get to work, or you'll be having blasted and grilled nuts for your supper. Your own !"   ;-) 

Gulliver View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gulliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2009 at 10:29am

Maybe I am more of a sharia 'law'yer than I'd care to admit.  LOL ;-)  Cause I'd be sorely tempted to do what I just said.  That would drive me further around the bend than I already am.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
  Share Topic