IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - why so much suffering  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

why so much suffering

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jr87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: why so much suffering
    Posted: 08 June 2009 at 6:45pm
here is a question that Im sure religious people in general hear alot.. if there is a great god who loves and cares so much for us, why is there so much suffering in this world?

I read in the quran, that any good comes from allah, and any bad comes from yourself.

but on the other hand, allah has power over all things,...?

islamically- what is the purpose of suffering?
so that others may realize how lucky they are and be grateful? what then of the people that actually suffer?

- or is suffering a trial to judge your faith and your commitment to god..

-or is it punishment from god for evil things that people do..and if this is the case, obviously we know that thousands of people that die aren't all evil- why do they suffer for others.

what is the purpose of it.
i dont understand how that the same god that loves the people and the world and the creation, can tolerate so much evils in this world of his own doing./ or..that he has the power ovr to change..in other words)

or is there something else that creates this evil.

and if that is the case- it is not god that has power over this evil 2 change it, and it isnt him who created it- then what is it, and doesnt that contradict that god has power over all things.

please enlighten me.and sorry.. i think the last para confuses myself as well..but i hope ppl get wut i mean..lol.
islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2009 at 7:48pm
Yes, Allah has power over all things and yes, the evil in the world comes from man's own actions.  Allah has made it clear that he loves those who do good and hates those who do evil.  So, His position is clear.  So, it does not make sense to blame Allah for the evil in the world.  Certainly, He has the power to stop it but he does not for many reasons.  First, He knows more than we do.  So, even though it may not make sense to us why something happens, it does to Allah.  Second, He allows evil in the world so that people can make a distinct choice.  We have the free will to either help the poor or to persecute them, to be faithful or faithless, to be kind to all living things or be oppressive to them.  By the choices we make, Allah judges us and as such, He either rewards us in the next life or punishes us.  To those who suffer, He urges patience and the faith that He will help them.  If you think about it, this was exactly the early Muslims were thinking.  They were suffering tremendous persecution, and the hypocrites were asking them when Allah would help them.  When all seemed hopeless, Allah opened a door and the persecuted Muslims now found safe-haven in another city and Islam began to grow and thrive, eventually defeating their pagan oppressors and claiming all of Arabia for Allah.  
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

Nazarene View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nazarene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2009 at 8:28pm
salaam

Thumbs%20Up to brother peace! for such enlighting replies. here is vid. from youtube someone shared with me on the topic so let me pass on also. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=871B7yTOWsg&feature=related
leland

Edited by Nazarene - 11 June 2009 at 8:30pm
love for all conquers all
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2009 at 6:28pm
To add to our members, here's a story, and am very hopeful that this story gives you an answer

A man went to a barbershop to have his hair cut and his beard trimmed. As the barber began to work, they began to have a good conversation. They talked about so many things and various subjects.

When they eventually touched on the subject of God, the barber said: 'I don't believe that God exists.'

'Why do you say that?' asked the customer.

'Well,you just have to go out in the street to realize that God doesn't exist.Tell me, if God exists, would there be so many sick people? Would there be abandoned children? If God existed, there would be neither suffering nor pain. I can't imagine a loving God who would allow all of these things.

'The customer thought for a moment, but didn't respond because he didn't want to start an argument. The barber finished his job and the customer left the shop.

Just after he left the barbershop, he saw a man in the street with long, stringy, dirty hair and an untrimmed beard. He looked dirty and unkempt. The customer turned back and entered the barber shop again and he said to the barber: 'You know what? Barbers do not exist.

''How can you say that?' asked the surprised barber.

'I am here, and I am a barber. And I just worked on you!'

'No!' the customer exclaimed. 'Barbers don't exist because if they did, there would be no people with dirty long hair and untrimmed beards, like that man outside.'

'Ah, but barbers DOexist! That's what happens when people do not come to me.'

'Exactly!' affirmed the customer. 'That's the point! God, too, DOES exist! That's what happens when people do not go to Him and don't look to Him for help. That's why there's so much pain and suffering in the world.'

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2009 at 7:18pm

You can go thru this link

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?cid=1119503547266&pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar%2FFatwaE%2FFatwaEAskTheScholar

Insha Allah, it shall be very useful to you

Edited by seekshidayath - 16 June 2009 at 7:19pm
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2009 at 6:29am

I recieved an sms the other day, which I found interesting - and may perhaps help someone through a bad time:

A sailor was stuck on an islan where he was the only survior. He worked very hard to make a hut for his shelter. He went around collecting food and stored it inside his hut.

Day and Night he prayed and prayed for someone to come and rescue him, but noone came. Then one day, his hut burned down and turned to ashes, nothing was left behind. He was extremely frustrated and angry, disappointed with God. In anger he said 'God! Why have you done this to me?'

The very next morning, a ship arrived at the island and rescued the man. He asked 'How did you know I was here? How did you find me?' The rescuers replied: 'We were passing by, when we saw smoke coming from this island - we thought it was a smoke signal, so came to this island'

Moral of the story: Trust Allah (God) when misfortune happens. His plans are Greater than your thinking, logic and intellect. 'Verily the best of Planners is Allah' 3:54

Smile

Edited by Chrysalis - 23 June 2009 at 6:30am
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2009 at 7:34am

This I believe is an ancient Persian tale.

'There were 3 travellers crossing the desert on camels. A voice spoke to them and told them to dismount and fill their pockets with pebbles. They obeyed the voice, and filled their pockets. The voice them said to them..."well done, but in the morning you will be both glad and sorry".

The travellers were confused by this, and that night went to sleep. When they awoke they found their pockets filled with precious jewels. Then they understood the message...and they were both glad and sorry... glad they had picked the pebbles, sorry they had not taken more.

Smile
some of us are a lot like cement:- all mixed up and permanently set
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic