IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Youth
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Stop giving kids soda  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stop giving kids soda

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Amina16 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amina16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stop giving kids soda
    Posted: 02 December 2005 at 6:02pm
In my family we always drink tropical fruit juice.  Mango is most loved by everyone.  My parents buy sprite or 7up when someone is sick in the family Every morning we(me and my siblings) drink tea with milk or juice.  my parents drink coffee.  My dad used to buy pepse for himself when i was little but he stoped after he saw that my bros seem to be drinking it a lot.  
"Words have Power" ex: The Quran
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2005 at 5:47am

Bismillah,

Sister Ummziba, I agree that the best of intentions don't always work out and appreciate your sharing your son's story.

I might make it to a couple of foreign countries again before I get out to Cali, but thanks for the invite! 

I knew a lady in Jordan who was so poor that they often didn't have much to eat.  When people came to visit and saw she didn't have coffee and tea to serve them, they bought that for her.  So she gave her kids a pretty standard drink for kids there:  Coffee milk, or tea, and they had biscuits, like at Starbucks, to dip into it.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2005 at 6:08am

Assalamu alaikum,

I never gave my son any pop until he was about 10 years old, and then, only very rarely.  He only drank milk and fruit juices.

Now, he is 23 and drinks pop all the time .  Sometimes the best intentions don't quite work out.

Though, at least he doesn't drink alcohol or coffee either  .  They grow up so fast.

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2005 at 2:25pm
Herjihad, you can come to the party anytime. Although there will be no soda, but lots of other good stuff to drink. I like the Hansens natural sodas at trader joes or whole foods. I also avoid foods with Trans fatty acids, (or shortening), high fructose corn syrup, food colorings, msg, preservatives ect. Although coffee I really love!!!! I think if you stick to the basics kids will get used to it. I get ranch dressing from trader joes(you can make ranch easily if you don't have a natural food store close by.) We dip alot of different veggis in it. They love baby carrots, celery and broccili the most. My older one loves salad with cumbled up tortilla chips on top. Pastas with simple tomatoe sauces, tuna fish sandwiches, peanut butter on toast, grill cheese sandwiches, ect. There are many simple things that kids love and the less you give them the bad stuff the more they will love the good stuff. Although a little bad stuff sometimes is o.k. I am a closet donut lover and have to eat a few every month!!
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
ak_m_f View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ak_m_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2005 at 1:42pm

Anything taken in excesss is bad for you
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2005 at 10:03am

Bismillah,

Okay.  Jenni, I agree. Yet, there might be some in my house because they sneak it in through the black market.

I hate coffee also.  Not many takers there, I'm sure!  It depletes the bioavailability of vitamins.

When's the party?  Can you send a car because the drive to Cali might be a bit too much for me?

Whether Yann is correct or not, I still think his post is funny.

You expect my kids to eat my food without MSG?  Maybe if they had a coke to wash it down...

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
IslamIsTheBest View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IslamIsTheBest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2005 at 9:44am

Yan237,

Your list is totally untrue, there is a program called "Mythbusters", and your list of Facts was proven to be all false.  Consider the above "facts" to be non-facts, or test them first yourself before you make this claim.

yann237 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yann237 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2005 at 5:07pm

If you still have two or three bottles of Cola, don't throw'em away... Here's some uses for Coca-Cola...

1. In many states (in the USA) the highway patrol carries two gallons of Coke in the trunk to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.

2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of coke and it will be gone in two days.

3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl and .......Let the "real thing" sit for one hour, then flush clean. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous china.

4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a crumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.

5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.

6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.

7. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of coke into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, And run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains. It will also clean road haze from your windshield.

Funny facts...

1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. Its Ph is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about 4 days.

2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup (the concentrate) the commercial truck must use the Hazardous material place cards reserved for Highly corrosive materials.

3. The distributors of coke have been using it to clean the engines of their trucks for about 20 years!

Still Want To Drink Up?????????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic