IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - what makes you so sure?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

what makes you so sure?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jr87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what makes you so sure?
    Posted: 06 June 2009 at 8:46am
Over the last several months I have read a lot of atheist books, that just seem to make way more sense to me than religion...

than again, im not entirely sure religion is always supposed to make 100% sense right? which is why they call it faith...

anyhow- I would like to hear from other Muslims why they are so sure of their religion-
I understand that the world is a beautiful and mysterious place and as humans we are so small and with so little knowledge of where we come from- so we automatically say, " o there must be something that created us, therefore it is god..etc."

what Makes you sure that their is a god.
what makes you sure that Islam is the correct religion over others.
It is one thing to believe in god, it is a completely different thing to commit yourself to one religion.

there are so many religions, obviously only one is right or all of them are wrong-

so what stands out/appeals you to Islam.
islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2009 at 8:04pm
To me, it is really about the early days of Islam and how from a completely hopeless situation, it thrived and completely transformed what was once a savage place (Arabia).  The fact that it started with one man, a merchant who could not even read or write, is powerful evidence of divine intervention.  Think about it.  How could an illiterate Arab merchant become a cunning general, a diplomat, a preacher and the region's most powerful person, especially given the fact that when he first started his mission, he was opposed by the powerful ruling elite of Arabia.  The whole peninsula was against him.  He only had a handful of followers, many of whom were being slaughtered.  Yet somehow, they manage to find a safe haven, and from there, they create a powerful city-state which challenges the might of pagan Arabia and eventually defeats it.  Is all this coincidence?  Consider that when the pagans attacked Medina, besieging it for over a month, there entire army is suddenly wrecked by a sandstorm.  More coincidence?  You may argue that these types of miracles have happened throughout history (especially in battles), but the question to ask is have they happened in such high frequencies, to the same people multiple times?  If it happens once, you can probably get away with dismissing it as a coincidence; even if it happens twice.  But three times?  Four times?  Five times?  Now, it's just getting ridiculous.  That is what happened in the early history of Islam.  Every time it seemed to be over, that the pagans would succeed in destroying Islam, it seemed to find a way out.  That is evidence of God, and the divine origin of Islam.
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

Nazarene View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nazarene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2009 at 8:44pm

salaams

Winki don't mean a video junky but while re-watching another video i posted i noticed this one over on the side bar. it's by the same guy as in the other i was viewing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lN69AUXBfk&feature=related
leland

Edited by Nazarene - 11 June 2009 at 8:46pm
love for all conquers all
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2009 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by jr87 jr87 wrote:

Over the last several months I have read a lot of atheist books, that just seem to make way more sense to me than religion...

than again, im not entirely sure religion is always supposed to make 100% sense right? which is why they call it faith...

anyhow- I would like to hear from other Muslims why they are so sure of their religion-
I understand that the world is a beautiful and mysterious place and as humans we are so small and with so little knowledge of where we come from- so we automatically say, " o there must be something that created us, therefore it is god..etc."

It is one thing to believe in god, it is a completely different thing to commit yourself to one religion.

there are so many religions, obviously only one is right or all of them are wrong-

Hi,
great and simple questions. I will try my best to keep answers simple and short, if possible.

For me so many things point to a maker and sustainer that its never been a question ever since. Whether it was birth of a child, watching a tree turn green, or paying attention to the functions of an eye, its purpose and its beauty. Watching the night sky above with stars suspended far away in the deep. Observing my own self, two hands and their functions, two legs and their functions, how I can talk with the help of air that I breath, my lungs, my heart, each for a specific purpose and function. As I age I see my purpose and my end, all of this leads me to the recongnition of the fact that I am created by someone.  Use of my mind, logic, trial and error, ability to learn, think, decide what benefits me, and choosing it, all pointed for me toward one thought, what does my Creator expects of me since I am able to move freely. I could hurt others and myself with my own hand and I can also benefit myself and others with the same. What does the One who Created me expects of me to do with all that.

Recognition of my Creator for me is first step toward the truth of my existance. Next is the logic that what is created is for a purpose. So I must have a purpose. And my maker must have provided me with the guidance to follow through.

I believe, that One Creator, One God there is and serving God alone and fulfilling my obligation as His humble creature, I submit to my Creator's will, and to make best of effort to not disobey What He commands thus fulfilling my purpose and being Muslim. Yes, thus I believe Islam (submission to the will of the Creator) is the only way to sucess for me in the sight of the Creator. All other names are just deviations from the right path. Adam, the frist man, Noah, Lot, Abraham, Moses, David, Jesus, and Mohammed (pbuh) were all in Islam, and were Muslims who came as guides for mankind in various eras to bring back those deviated from Islam to disbelief.
Belief in God is first step in the right direction, but not getting to the destination. In order to get somewhere, you need to travel the journey by committing to what is discovered as the true way of life that is prescribed by our maker.
Why Islam, because of its comprehansive description of our Creator, because its simple, truthful to its principles, and its consistant and covers each and everyone under it from Adam, first man and to the last one on this earth.
Hasan 
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2009 at 8:14am

Why does it have to be one or nothing/all wrong?

My philosophy is this: Many paths, one God.

Smile
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Andalus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andalus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2009 at 8:16pm

Hi jr 87.

In my opinion agnosticism is the one non-religous path that has the greatest appeal simply because it gives valid reasons for questioning religion. I have always believed that this path is a phase that either allows one to move toward God or away into athiesm.

On a brief note, I would say that atheism is a belief as much as theism is and in modern times especially, the advocates have tried to shrug off any responsibility in the share of evidence to justify the belief.

In fact, you will now find this as a sticking point between theists and atheists who do not feel they have any share for arguing their beliefs (this is sometimes claimed by both sides). Any belief should have arguments for justifying their beliefs. I am a novice and not any kind of enlightened religious guru. Are justifications for God or Justification for a particular God your interest? Have you explore justification for believing there is no God?

A feeling of discouragement when you slip up is a sure sign that you put your faith in deeds. -Ibn 'Ata'llah
http://www.sunnipath.com
http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/
http://www.pt-go.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic