IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Weddings  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Weddings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weddings
    Posted: 12 July 2005 at 12:53pm

Al Salam 3olaikom

I was wondering how should weddings these days be prepared. Everything is changing and I have noticed that most muslim weddings are very much like western style (with respect to all religions). Especially because I am living in Canada.

I have more to say but I want your opinions first.

Peace to all

Salam.

A thorn defends the rose,harming only those who would steal the blossom
M1583 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1583 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2005 at 3:18pm

Assalaamoalikum sister

u r absolutely right.People have made a game to religion.They dont even bother to teach there children about islaam specially in foreign countries.People have made it the issue of dignity that if there is no mehendi,no songs and dances then no marrieges.although all these customs r forbidden in islaam.and that all is because of media which attracts people to have more and more sins.and its the nature of man that bad thing facinates him and he will be far away from simple and good thing.

Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2005 at 5:05pm
Rose we had a small somewhat traditional southasian wedding. I am american and my husband is southasian. We had a small mendi before the wedding, where we put on the Henna. Men and women were seperate. The women played drums and sang some songs.Then the next day the wedding where we had 2 tents and men and ladies seperate part of the time until the groom came to my tent after we signed the Nika. Then the third day we had a reception or valema dinner at a nice resturant with all of our family and friends together. It was nothing grand, only about 75 people each day, it was not to fancy and expensive but it was really nice. No dancing or anything like that. And I disagree with m1583 that Mhendi is forbidden in islam, it is not.
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
Rose View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2005 at 6:24pm

Al Salam 3olaikom

Thank you for your ideas.

Jenni:  that sounds like it was a nice wedding.  

Eventhough the men and women are separated is it right in Islam to dance to music and wear what ever you want. I heard once there was a wedding and the women and men were seperated. Lots of the women were wearing very "little clothing" (if I could say), and there were pictures taken. After a few days the pictures were distributed around that men saw them.

And like you said M1583: "media which attracts people to have more and more sins"

I think we are being challended by the media. Sometimes it is hard to just ignore

Here in Canada, I have went to some weddings that at first, after all the people arrive and take a seat, the bride and the groom come in with their "brides maid" and "the groom's best man" (I don't know what is the purpose for them?). Then when the bride and groom have a seat someone makes a speech and then Quran is read. After that dinner is served, and when all that is finished music is put on and everyone dances. (This is a wedding were both men and women are together). I have never been to a wedding were men and women were seperated.

If you tell someone that you are having a religious wedding, most people wont come, weird hah.

That is why everyone is doing the MODERN way weddings.

Salam

Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2005 at 7:22pm
I suggest having a party at the brides house before and have dancing if you want. You can take a video and keep it private to watch only with your girlfriends. don't make any copys. I think dancing is totally out of line with men around. However if the wedding is mixed with men and women I think its ok if you seat single women and men seperatly and families together and don't have music. Ours was a family type wedding so people being together at the end especially the reception was not a big deal becuase we were just eating dinner. And most of the people were married with kids.
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
Rose View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2005 at 8:03pm

Originally posted by Jenni Jenni wrote:

I suggest having a party at the brides house before and have dancing if you want. You can take a video and keep it private to watch only with your girlfriends. don't make any copys. I think dancing is totally out of line with men around. However if the wedding is mixed with men and women I think its ok if you seat single women and men seperatly and families together and don't have music. Ours was a family type wedding so people being together at the end especially the reception was not a big deal becuase we were just eating dinner. And most of the people were married with kids.

Yes you are right, what you are saying is no problem. I heard that music and the instruments are forbidden except for a "daff" in islam. I don't know for sure

M1583 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1583 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2005 at 3:16am

Assalaamoalikum

Rose and jenni it is nice to have people like u around.thanx alot that u guided me rose.

And jenni im not sying that mehendi is forbidden in islam i was talking about the occasion of mehendi.and dance is forbidden in islaam.am i right or wrong??i wat know is that people have taken it in a wrong way.Wat ever was in that wedding which u joined was i think is the good that ladies and gents were seperate.but mostly it is not going in that way.infact i have seen that girls and boys dance together.even girls dance in front of men and i think that is not good.

i dont know much more about islaam.but i a;ways seek to know more and more.and i would be very pleased if u people help me.

Rose::the bride and the groom come in with their "brides maid" and "the groom's best man" (I don't know what is the purpose for them?).

Rose u have asked that what is the perpose 4 them? I dont that what is the perpose of groom's best man.But i know what is the perpose of brides maid.I have read that it is good to have bride's maid with bride that after nikah she has to talk about bride's different  features in front of groom.like her hands her eyes etc so that groom attracts towards bride.As i have heard that the good woman is that who apeals her hasband by different good  ways so he can not go to other woman.

If i am wrong in any way plzzz guide me.

Edited by M1583
Rose View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2005 at 3:55am

Salam,

I know that the bridesmaid is to help the bride on her wedding day, but anyone can do that and it is not mentioned in Islam.

M1583,

You're welcome. I am glad that I was of some help to you. We are all here to help eachother and discover the outstanding truth of Islam.

Originally posted by M1583 M1583 wrote:

I dont that what is the perpose of groom's best man.But i know what is the perpose of brides maid.I have read that it is good to have bride's maid with bride that after nikah she has to talk about bride's different  features in front of groom.like her hands her eyes etc so that groom attracts towards bride.As i have heard that the good woman is that who apeals her hasband by different good  ways so he can not go to other woman.

I don't think this is right. But I hope someone answers your question.

Salam.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic