IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is ketchup halal?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is ketchup halal?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Islamisthetruth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is ketchup halal?
    Posted: 31 May 2009 at 5:18am
Assalamu alaykum brothers and sisters,

I have a bit of a dilemma. I looked at the ketchup bottle the other day and read 'spirit vinegar'. As you know, spirit vinegar is made from methylated spirits which indicates that it has alcohol in it. Does this mean that it is haram?

I've had it all throughout my youth and have even been to numerous halal shops this week and searching like crazy for any ketchup that doesnt have it but everywhere and everything and everyplace serves ketchup. Am I just really looking into this and going nuts?

Thank you :)

Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2009 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by Islamisthetruth Islamisthetruth wrote:

Assalamu alaykum brothers and sisters,

I have a bit of a dilemma. I looked at the ketchup bottle the other day and read 'spirit vinegar'. As you know, spirit vinegar is made from methylated spirits which indicates that it has alcohol in it. Does this mean that it is haram?

I've had it all throughout my youth and have even been to numerous halal shops this week and searching like crazy for any ketchup that doesnt have it but everywhere and everything and everyplace serves ketchup. Am I just really looking into this and going nuts?

Thank you :)

WAS
Which brand are you looking at?
 I am looking at the ingredients of Heinz Ketchup and that says 'distilled vinegar' so you are good to go...

No need to go nuts..it is not worth it! As Allah has described the Israelite went astray cuz they went into micro scrutinizing ...you can't get drunk on any vinegar so just take it easy...if you live in any western country with it's stripped down moral environmental scene; its liberal life style and tainted (or unIslamic) banking has lot more toxins than a bit of vinegar spirit! So buy Heinz and make Teresa H Kerry rich...Wink

Edited by Sign*Reader - 31 May 2009 at 1:18pm
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
Islamisthetruth View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Islamisthetruth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2009 at 2:04pm
Im looking at Heinz as well over here in the UK and its still spirit'ed'. I guess you could go on and on about the western living being unislamic but I always thought you do what you can. For instance, every sandwhich you buy has wine vinegar in it, they often cook steaks in liquer...does that mean its ok to eat that too just because you may not get drunk or it 'evaporates'? I dont know...a bit of a dodgey subject. I thought it went something like 'if you dont know whether something is halal or haram its best to avoid it', is that true?

Thanks again :) jazak allah ilkhair
Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2009 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by Islamisthetruth Islamisthetruth wrote:

I I thought it went something like 'if you dont know whether something is halal or haram its best to avoid it', is that true?

Thanks again :) jazak allah ilkhair

Yes it is ...
Bad marketing by Brit's Heinz! I wonder... there is big halal segment to make a killing...
Peace

Edited by Sign*Reader - 12 June 2009 at 9:58pm
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2009 at 5:54pm
the alcohol evaporates when it is used in cooking.

haven't heard of spirited vinger before, but then again I don't use ketchup but tomato sauce occassionally Smile 
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic