IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Abraham sacrafice Isaac  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Abraham sacrafice Isaac

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Abraham sacrafice Isaac
    Posted: 02 June 2009 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by Hayfa Hayfa wrote:

If such trials were tried today ---- !!!!! ANyways, i hope you are clear with this answer.

Actually people are actually sacrificed today. Slightly different.. read a book called Disposable People by Kavin Bales about Slavery in the Global Economy. If you have hair it will make it stand out on end.

Is it ! Shall look for that book and read, insha Allah.

Do these people who give sacrifice and who are sacrificed, get happily ready for the sacirifice or are forced to ?

Recently in India, there was a case wherein even today its practiced in by few hindus that when a man dies, his wife is burnt alive along with her husband who died.-
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
Mansoor_ali View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mansoor_ali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2009 at 3:45pm

The Quran mentions Isaac by name in the 13 versus accounting for the sacrifice, it does not mention Ishmael.   The Quran specifically says Ishaq was blessed.  Why would Ishaq blessed if it was Ishmail on the alter????  At work, don't have my Quran to grab to sight chapter/verse....but you know what I mean.

Quran never mentioned Isaac as a sacrificed son of Abraham

Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2009 at 3:33pm
If such trials were tried today ---- !!!!! ANyways, i hope you are clear with this answer.

Actually people are actually sacrificed today. Slightly different.. read a book called Disposable People by Kavin Bales about Slavery in the Global Economy. If you have hair it will make it stand out on end.
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2009 at 5:18am
Originally posted by jdavidw13 jdavidw13 wrote:

I'd also like to ask the question which probably gets asked a lot about Abraham sacraficing his son.  Why would God, who is just and righteous, ask Abraham to do such a thing? 

Hello David,

Good question !

If you did read above posts, you must have learnt that Abraham {AS} was blessed with a son at the age of 86 ! When he was commanded to sacrifice his son, by then , his son was young and was the only child. At these peak stage wherein naturally, parents love there child, very much, Allah swt decided to test him. He wanted to test, Abraham obeys this commandment of Allah swt or hesitates. Likewise it was a test for this young boy, Ismaeel {AS} as well. It was a test of  his patience and resolve, at a young age, in obeying Allah and obeying his father.

Both father and son proved to be faithful of Allah swt.

If Allah swt needed sacrifice of his son, he would not have send a ram in its place, is n't it ?

It was a test from Allah swt. Similarly, we believers are tested by Allah swt. Allah swt said that he shall test us thru health, wealth money, children ----. And he tests us with the burden only which we bear. Since Propeht Abraham was of very strong faith, he was chosen with such strong trial. If such trials were tried today ---- !!!!! ANyways, i hope you are clear with this answer.

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2009 at 5:03am
Hello Angela

Its many months, you were n't active ? Glad to see you . How is sis Herjihad ? May Allah swt ease her days.

As shared ayahs by Islamipeace, make us clear that Allah swt did not name the son. Read these ayahs again

100. "My Lord! Grant me (offspring) from the righteous.''

101. So, We gave him the glad tidings of a forbearing boy.

102. And, when he (his son) was old enough to walk with him, he said: "O my son! I have seen in a dream that I am slaughtering you. So look what you think!'' He said: "O my father! Do that which you are commanded, if Allah wills, you shall find me of the patient.''

103. Then, when they had both submitted themselves, and he had laid him prostrate on his forehead;) (104. We called out to him: "O Ibrahim!''

105. "You have fulfilled the dream!'' Verily, thus do We reward the doers of good.

106. Verily, that indeed was a manifest trial.

107. And We ransomed him with a great sacrifice;

108. And We left for him among the later generations.

109. "Salam (peace!) be upon Ibrahim!''

110. Thus indeed do We reward the doers of good

111. Verily, he was one of Our believing servants.

112. And We gave him the glad tidings of Ishaq -- a Prophet from the righteous.

113. We blessed him and Ishaq. And of their progeny are (some) that do right, and some that plainly wrong themselves.

You can look into the copy of Quran you possess, from chapter 37. So, when we read these ayaat, we find that after the discussion of a son and Ibrahi, by ayah 112, we get to learn abt Prophet Isaac.

Here are notes from the commentary of Ibn Kathir

This child was Isma`il, peace be upon him, for he was the first child of whom glad tidings were given to Ibrahim, peace be upon him, and he was older than Ishaq. The Muslims and the People of the Book agree, and indeed it is stated in their Book, that Isma`il, peace be upon him, was born when Ibrahim, peace be upon him, was eighty-six years old, and Ishaq was born when Ibrahim was ninety-nine years old. According to their Book, Allah commanded Ibrahim to sacrifice his only son, and in another text it says his firstborn son. But here they falsely inserted the name of Ishaq. This is not right because it goes against what their own Scripture says. They inserted the name of Ishaq because he is their ancestor, while Isma`il is the ancestor of the Arabs. They were jealous of them, so they added this idea and changed the meaning of the phrase "only son'' to mean `the only son who is with you,' because Isma`il had been taken with his mother to Makkah. But this is a case of falsification and distortion, because the words "only son'' cannot be said except in the case of one who has no other son. Furthermore, the firstborn son has a special status that is not shared by subsequent children, so the command to sacrifice him is a more exquisite test.

Edited by seekshidayath - 29 May 2009 at 5:04am
jdavidw13 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdavidw13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2009 at 4:39pm
I'd also like to ask the question which probably gets asked a lot about Abraham sacraficing his son.  Why would God, who is just and righteous, ask Abraham to do such a thing? 
islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2009 at 2:51pm
Angela, the Quran says in Surah 37 that the son was Ishmael (pbuh).  True, it does not mention him by name, but neither does it mention Isaac (pbuh).  So, how do we know who the son was?  Simple.  The Quran mentions Isaac's birth after the event of the sacrifice.  The relevant verses are:

102"Then, when (the son) reached (the age of) (serious) work with him, he said: "O my son! I see in vision that I offer thee in sacrifice: Now see what is thy view!" (The son) said: "O my father! Do as thou art commanded: thou will find me, if Allah so wills one practising Patience and Constancy!"
103So when they had both submitted their wills (to Allah), and he had laid him prostrate on his forehead (for sacrifice), (...)
112And We gave him the good news of Isaac - a prophet,- one of the Righteous.

So, it was Ishmael, not Isaac.  But, does it really matter?  Does that make Ishmael better than Isaac, or vice-versa?  No, because we love and revere both of them, for they were both righteous men and that is all that matters.
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 7:05am
The Quran mentions Isaac by name in the 13 versus accounting for the sacrifice, it does not mention Ishmael.   The Quran specifically says Ishaq was blessed.  Why would Ishaq blessed if it was Ishmail on the alter????  At work, don't have my Quran to grab to sight chapter/verse....but you know what I mean.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic