IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Halaal meat, is it really  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Halaal meat, is it really

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Halaal meat, is it really
    Posted: 11 July 2005 at 8:24pm
Salaam all, I have been visiting www.soundvision.com and they have some very good articles about halal meat. They say that Zabiha does not mean much because it tells nothing of how the animal was fed and if it was given hormones. Many animals in western countries and even halal meat imported into muslim countries have been fed the dead byproducts of other animals. I say that how can halal have any meaning then. I have asked two halal butchers if they can garantee the source of thier meat as being hormone free and animal by product free and they said they could not. I choose instead to buy free range, or organic meat eggs and dairy that is certified not to contain animal by products, antibiotics and hormones. I know it is more expensive, but the alternative for us is to have our own farm or be vegetarians, both of which seem a too difficult right now. I am just wondering why so many Muslims are stuck on this halal as in how the animal was slaughtered issue, and not what was it fed and injected with? I have to finish with some of the worst meat, namely beef that I ever bought was from a halal store, more than once. And the best goat I ever bought was from a halal store , so I'm torn!!
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2005 at 8:44pm

Auzubillahi minash shaitan ir rajeem,

Bismillah ir rahman ir rahim,

Assalamualaikum wa rahmatullah,

dear Jenni, It is the command of Allah to consume meat products in a particular prescribed fashion, thus muslims adhere to the code.

You are although correct in your concerns on how the animals are raised and fed. It is indeed a serious health concern, due to mad cow, foot and mouth diseases,  and accumulation of excess growth hormones. in olden times these methods were not known to mankind, even then, muslims were preparing and consuming halal meat only, as per their religious instructions. Today, they should take a step further and concern themselves over these issues as well as the prefrence for halal products.

These days diseases like metabolic syndrome, diabetes and various abnormalities related to heart functions are directly linked with our eating styles. In olden times people did not consume as much meat as they do today. I wounder why people say it is difficult to go on a vegetarian diet, when it is far more healthy. Furhter, there are no nutrients that cannot be obtained from fruits and vegatables.

Thakfully the meat we consume is free of the concerns you posed, but if I were in a situation to choose between hormone laided halal and vegetables, I would prefer vegs along with lots of tofu and natto

Maa salaama,

Nausheen

<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2005 at 6:56am
I agree but nave read that some scholars say it is ok to not het meat that is Zabiha  halal. So I buy organic meat from the natural foods store. I think is is the better option.
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2005 at 8:12am

My sis Jenni,

Uptill now you must have found out about me that I am not at all a scholar nor am I any knowledgeable person better than many in this forum. However, I may like to add few thoughts from my own side over the issue of Halal / Haram. The most I can do in choosing the meat that I can consume, is to ensure that I buy it from a Halal shop owned by a Muslim person. One more step in my efforts to ensure that my religious obligation is fulfilled is to specifically ask him if this meat is through proper Dhabiah or not and that is it. If he, the Muslim business owner, is not telling the truth or if his own sources are not telling him the truth, I am least concerned; untill or unless they are proven lier beyond human doubt. My intentions and hence my actions are all visible to Allah to satisfy my obligations. This also logical to say that whenever I visit our Muslim family friends, I never question them about their source of meat that have been served to us as a guest.

However, I do have much concerns, as much as you have, on the diet of the animals used in the america to feed them. But then, it is really beyond the issue of halal or harm. We must make efforts, through all means such as scientifically, socially and as well as politically to stop this practice as its not just the problem of Muslims alone but for the health of all consumers irrespective of their faith. I hope this may help in some way. Allah knows the best.

Khadija1021 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khadija1021 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2005 at 10:05am

Assalamu Alaikum

This is a good topic.  I'm a new muslim and I have read in the Qur'an and the Hadith about eating meat that is Halal.  My question is, what if you don't have a Halal butcher in your community or anywhere close to you?

PAZ, Khadija

Say: 'My prayer and my rites, my living and my dying, are for Allah alone, the Lord of all the worlds. (Qur'an, 6:162)
Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2005 at 10:14am
My point to you AhmadJoyia is that the soundvision website states that most zabiha meat is not really halal. Becuase of the presence of animal blood and tissue being fed to the animal. Also because of the hormones. Unless it is free range, no hormones and not fed animal by products zabiha really means nothing!! So the point is I would rather eat meat that is not Zabiha that is organic which tastes much better and is of higher quality than eat some of the pathetic cheap halal meat that I have had to throw away because it was so awful. I have even found the Q&A on Islamicity that the Imam said it is O.k. to eat non Zabiha meat, it is not preferred but it is not Haram. Once again people are just stuck on how the animal was slaughtered, if it was fed pig parts then I don't think it can ever be halal!!
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2005 at 10:56am

Assalamu alaikum,

Certainly we strive to do as Allah asks us to.  If good quality halal meat is available, we have no excuse to eat otherwise.  If the halal meat available to us is tainted (hormones, blood, and so on), then are we not obliged to do the better of the two and eat good healthy meat - as long as we say bismallah over it before eating?  This would apply to persons who live where halal meat is not even available at all as well.

It is a good point, Sister Jenni, that we need to feed our children good quality meat.  In fact, we are not supposed to harm ourselves or others, so eating halal meat that is tainted would be wrong.

And yes, I have seen many "fatwas" and articles about halal meat for Muslim minorities living in the west - they all say it is all right to eat the meat from our grocery store (if halal is not available where we live) as long as we say bismillah over it before eating.

I went for almost three years eating no meat at all when I first became a Muslim.  Then, I finally met the little community of Muslims here - they all ate meat from the grocery store (saying bismallah before eating).  All had consulted imams "back home" who suggested this is what they should do. 

Islam is supposed to be a simple religion that causes no hardships to the Muslims - Muslims seem to be the ones who make it confusing!  May Allah give us all reasonable minds like Sister Jenni!

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
Rose View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2005 at 1:09pm

Bismillih Alrahman Alraheem 

"He only prohibits for you the eating of animals that die
of themselves (without human interference), blood, the
meat of pigs, and animals dedicated to other than GOD. If
one is forced (to eat these), without being malicious or
deliberate, he incurs no sin. GOD is Forgiver, Most
Merciful." [2:173]

It is a very long subject, but I know that as long as a person believes in a God what ever the religion, you are allowed to eat from the meat.

And only Allah nows best

A thorn defends the rose,harming only those who would steal the blossom
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic