IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

-

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hat2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: -
    Posted: 04 May 2009 at 5:06pm
-

Edited by Jamal Morelli - 31 October 2009 at 8:12am
Salome View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2009 at 6:13pm
    There is over 4,000 Muslims serving in the US arm forces and the numbers are growing.....just an FYI......

Salome
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been
the foresight to know where you're going
and the insight to know when you're going too far.
Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2009 at 12:35am
Originally posted by Salome Salome wrote:

There is over 4,000 Muslims serving in the US arm forces and the numbers are growing.....just an FYI......

Salome

What is your source? Does it describe the nature of their jobs?

I doubt seriously they will be doing what the article describes about the  American heinous crimes against humanity in Iraq and Afghanistan. You could go through the Iraq invasion thread about lot more detail of the sick crusaders' atrocities...With all that Bush's shock n awe against a small nation where did America end up? close to bankruptcy...& a beggar nation to  communist Chinese a disgrace indeed...What will Jesus say about that? ******s to hell of their own making,,,They can't find the killers for hell any more....interesting but shocking story
Why Are Army Recruiters Killing Themselves?
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
Salome View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2009 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by Sign*Reader Sign*Reader wrote:

Originally posted by Salome Salome wrote:

Salome

What is your source? Does it describe the nature of their jobs?

I doubt seriously they will be doing what the article describes about the  American heinous crimes against humanity in Iraq and Afghanistan. You could go through the Iraq invasion thread about lot more detail of the sick crusaders' atrocities...With all that Bush's shock n awe against a small nation where did America end up? close to bankruptcy...& a beggar nation to  communist Chinese a disgrace indeed...What will Jesus say about that? ******s to hell of their own making,,,They can't find the killers for hell any more....interesting but shocking story
Why Are Army Recruiters Killing Themselves?

Ah go to GOOGLE like I did and type in number of Muslims in the US arm forces... http://www.defenselink.mil/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=42671 ( look for this link on GOOGLE. I don't quote anything us less I can back it up.....

Salome

Edited by Salome - 05 May 2009 at 4:41pm
Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2009 at 4:54pm
Salome

Thanks for the link.......
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
aka2x2 View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka2x2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2009 at 7:56am

�JESUS KILLED MOHAMMED�

This is one of the most idiotic sentences I have read in a long while� Forget the fact that Jesus lived a few hundred years before Mohammad� Forget the fact that Mohammad came to reaffirm the monotheistic message of Jesus� Forget that we are all children of Adam and followers of Abraham� Forget all relevant historical and religious facts�

Let�s forget all logic and reason� Let�s just say something s****d and have a good old gun fight.

That is what Jesus and Mohammad taught us?

Respectfully
aka2x2
Salome View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2009 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by aka2x2 aka2x2 wrote:

�JESUS KILLED MOHAMMED�

This is one of the most idiotic sentences I have read in a long while� Forget the fact that Jesus lived a few hundred years before Mohammad� Forget the fact that Mohammad came to reaffirm the monotheistic message of Jesus� Forget that we are all children of Adam and followers of Abraham� Forget all relevant historical and religious facts�

Let�s forget all logic and reason� Let�s just say something s****d and have a good old gun fight.

That is what Jesus and Mohammad taught us?

I almost died laughing when I read this post LOL,    This absolutely cracked me up....Approve      Good one......

Salome
Shasta'sAunt View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2009 at 4:08pm

Fear of bias keeps U.S. Muslims out of military

Tue Feb 6, 2007 8:18pm EST

By Bernd Debusmann, Special Correspondent

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Desperately short of soldiers who speak Arabic and understand Islam, the U.S. military is quietly courting American Muslims. But they show little enthusiasm for an institution many say is prejudiced against them.

"The military have the same problem as civilian government agencies, such as the FBI," said Ibrahim Hooper of the Council of American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), an advocacy group. "There is a general reluctance to join because Muslims think there is bias against them and career prospects are limited."

Pentagon statistics show there are more Jews and Buddhists than Muslims serving in the 1.4 million strong, overwhelmingly Christian armed forces.

In the Marine Corps, there are only slightly more Muslims than Wiccans, who practice witchcraft. And in the Air Force, Wiccans outnumber Muslims by more than two to one.

The Pentagon lists 3,386 Muslims in active service, compared with 1.22 million Christians of a wide array of denominations, including little-known groups such as the International Church of the Foursquare Gospel or the Pentecostal Holiness Church International.

The statistics are drawn from personnel records that include a "religious faith code," a rubric soldiers are asked, but not obliged, to complete. Some Muslims in the military say their real number is higher, and estimates go up to 10,000.

Whatever the figures on religion, it is a lack of Arabic-speaking officers and soldiers steeped in Islamic culture that is so striking, a subject that comes up in most conversations with people returning from duty in Iraq.

While there is no specific recruitment drive aimed at Arab and Muslim communities in the United States, the Pentagon has made well publicized moves to show that the military does not equate Islam with terrorism and is making efforts to accommodate Muslim Americans who want to serve both God and their country.

For example: Last July, the Marine Corps dedicated a new Muslim prayer center at its base in Quantico, Virginia. A month later, the Air Force Academy commissioned its first Muslim chaplain. And in September, the U.S. military academy at West Point inaugurated its first Muslim prayer room.

West Point is the oldest military academy in the country and reaction to its move highlighted a general climate of suspicion and distrust of Muslims in America since the attacks on New York and Washington of September 11, 2001.

LOYALTY QUESTIONED, SUSPICIONS RAISED

"A chief concern of the U.S. military is Islamist infiltration," the conservative Investor's Business Daily said in an editorial. "Yet the Army, in a show of blind tolerance, just made that easier with the dedication of a new mosque at West point.

"Erecting mosques at our military bases and academies ... gives berth to erect a Fifth Column inside our military."

Warnings of fifth columnists, a staple of right-wing bloggers since September 11, 2001, gathered momentum after an Army sergeant who converted to Islam, Hasan Akbar, rolled grenades into the tents of sleeping soldiers at a base in Kuwait and opened fire on those who ran out.

Two officers died and 14 soldiers were wounded in the attack, shortly before the United States invaded Iraq in 2003. The military lawyers who defended Akbar argued he had snapped after fellow soldiers relentlessly ridiculed his faith. Akbar was sentenced to death and is awaiting execution.

Public opinion polls show that negative views of Muslims are not restricted to a fringe minority. In a Gallup poll taken around the time the West Point prayer room opened, a third of those surveyed thought Muslims living in the United States sympathized with al Qaeda, the group behind the attacks of September 11, 2001.

"This is a big problem," said Hossam Ahmed, a retired Air Force Reserve colonel who leads prayer meetings for the small Muslim congregation that meets at the Pentagon prayer room every Friday afternoon. "I never had anyone question my loyalty until September 11. After that, yes, it has happened."

Ahmed, who was born in the United States of Egyptian parents, said that while he had at times encountered prejudice and hostility, his faith had not been an obstacle in his career, a frequent observation by Muslims in the military.

"I've run into lack of understanding and ignorance but I don't have problems practicing my faith," said Lt. Col. Tim Oldenburg, a flight test engineer attached to the Pentagon. "What I get constantly is reactions of surprise when people hear I'm a Muslim." Unlike most Muslims in the military, Oldenburg is white and grew up on an Illinois farm.

Black Americans make up for the majority of Muslims serving in the U.S. armed forces.

In the U.S. population as a whole, people of South Asian origin make up the biggest proportion of Muslims, accounting for 33 percent, according to estimates by community groups. Black Americans come second, with 30 percent, followed by Arabs with around 25 percent.

By some estimates, Islam is the fastest-growing religion in the United States, driven by conversions and immigration.

"There's a large pool of expertise," said an officer involved in recruiting matters. "People who know the languages, people who are familiar with the culture. We just haven't found the right way to draw from that pool."

(For an interview with Muslim former chaplain James Yee, see "Former Guantanamo chaplain wants U.S. Army apology")

Edited by Shasta'sAunt - 07 May 2009 at 4:10pm
�No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.�
Eleanor Roosevelt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic